“Simply pleasant”

Monumental Hotel Orlando
Ranked #202 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was the second visit for my wife and me. Both visits have been splendid. It's not crawling with people, and we really appreciate the privacy we feel. At the same time, there were a few folks on the weekend that we got to hang out with in the pool and get to know a little. Above all, this is just a great location to be for making day trips. And the price is unbeatable.
It's obvious that they don't have a lot of extra money for frills. But if you're not expecting immaculate accommodations, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not a destination, but a great spot for getting to your other destinations.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kait W

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed here for 14 nights booked via Expedia which worked out quiet cheap with flights and transfers. As a couple and sister in law in their twenties we didn't have any major problems with the hotel. The I-Trolley stop is outside the hotel and the location is in the quieter part of I-Drive. The hotel staff were very friendly, breakfast/dinner had a good selection. The hotel does need some TLC like previous comments some of the cabana's are torn and have rips, the pool just needs a clean, ATM was not working during our stay, the laundry room was also out of order and it is only possible to have dinner in the restaurant from Thursday - Sunday, so from Monday to Wednesday if your feeling peckish and you dont have a car and want to pop out you have to either call a cab or take the trolley to the outlets which is not far or head more into town which can be around a 25 minute bus ride if you want a choice. It would help if the hotel had a shuttle service to the parks not covered by the trolley and if the rooms had satalite T.V. When we were leaving WIFI was being installed in the rooms when previously you would have to go to the lobby to access the internet. It would of been good if the vending machines were working or at least if the fridges provided in the room had a mini bar so in emergencies you can at least snack or drink something. A mini microwave would go down well as the portions in the restaurants are big and you always end up with a doggy bag. House keeping came every day and we had plenty of towels and beds were always done, the room was a good size would of been better if the rooms had balconies. Seems like the owner just wants guests to stay but doesn't want to invest in the upkeep of the exterior and interior of the hotel. Overall the small points are minor to me however someone else may see this as a nightmare.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jennifer284
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We only stayed one night but this was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. The staff went out of their way to make our visit enjoyable and they were all courteous and friendly. The rooms were impeccably clean and well decorated as was the interior of the hotel. The outside areas do need a little TLC, but nothing major. The pool was amazing. True, some of the chairs and cabana had rips, but they did not look dirty or run down. The hotel did not seem to be very full- maybe because of its location on International Drive. I prefer the quieter area. Even the carpet in our room was very clean and appeared to be almost new. We had absolutely no problems with towels, toilet tissue, hot water or a/c. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Robin M
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our time here was quite enjoyable. The hotel is in decent nick, and it is conveniently placed on International Drive with bus access to various attractions, parks, outlet malls, and a variety of restaurants. The biggest gripe would be with some of the hotel amenities: the ATM was out of order the entire time, and the laundry was not in working order at first. We required maintenance assistance a couple of times, but it was attended to quickly. The staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Brad T
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at the Monumental Hotel for our quick Theme Park Trip (Aquatica, Sea World, and Universal Studios) June 2 - 6, 2012. The resort is tucked away at the quiet end of International drive just past Sea World (We could see the tall Seaworld Tower from our room window. This is the pretty quiet end of I-Drive. We really enjoyed our stay and we found this hotel to be very quiet and it was a nice break from the busy and loud theme parks we spent each day in. The hotel on the interior was much better than the outside. Very quaint, and pretty. The customer service was great and we never had a problem. We even had a toilet issue our last night and they came up right away. The exterior is another thing, sadly, I did not take any pictures to show you, but I have noticed that others have taken photos of the same things. The roof of the building has black smears everywhere (mold?), the pool is very pretty, but the surrounding grounds need some major TLC. There were weeds growing up everywhere in the stonework around the pool, one of the cabanas had a major rip in its roof, and the pool chairs were very run down - is this the same furniture that was here from the previous hotel owners? We did have a great stay and liked the hotel, but we won't book it again for next year because we are concerned with what condition the property will be in next year. The only other odd thing is the location of the lobby, a weird layout for a neat building.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DisneyBrian
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just visited for a night. I knew that it was a former high end hotel but its going to rot quickly. You see the outside and think Rennaissance Hotel. I've spent over 600 nights in hotels for work and leisure and this was an embarrassment.
I check in and go to the bathroom and realize not only is their no toilet paper, but not even a toilet paper dispenser. Guess the maid didn't think it was mprtant enough to mention to her boss, or if she did, he didn't care.
Just a laundry list of things that didn't work. ATM down. Ice machine broken. No microwave in the entire hotel to heat food. No water, at all, in the morning. When i checked out the next day, I walked down 4 flights of stairs to make sure the elevator didn't break down and strand me in this dump. Just know when you are making a reservation, the outside and inside look ok, but the lack of any money being put into the hotel is letting it run down quickly and it's just going to get worse. They are,obviously going broke and this is the result. Save your hard earned money and go somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian G
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel's rating was not close to my experience. . . .

1) To enter the hotel, you need to park VERY far away, and walk in. For the handicapped or older persons, not a great experience.

2). Hotel only has enough towels for their rooms. When they removed the towels from my room, I had to call down and get more. . . . Had to wait while "my towels" we're being washed.

3). Outside upkeep not good, weeds growing through cracks, pool quite dirty, ripped awnings.

4). Both mornings my husband had no hot water for his shower!

5). When we needed a copy of a passport, we went to the front desk and asked for a copy to be made. They told us they did not have a copy machine. . . .

6) Wireless is only in lobby. They gave me a cable for our room; however, cable did not work and I never was able to get on my computer in my room.

While one or even two of the issues aren't deal breakers, all together it shows a pattern of trying to run the hotel "on the cheap".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business