“Small, quiet and excellent value for money”

Monumental Hotel Orlando
Ranked #198 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed at the Monumental Hotel for 5 nights in April this year and would definitely recommend it. It’s a relatively small and very quiet hotel, which is great for people like me who love going to the theme parks but like a peaceful place to sleep afterwards.
It’s at the southern end of I-drive, so you don’t get the same amount of traffic as you would further north and although the nearest restaurant is about a bit of a walk down the road, there are plenty of buses and the I-ride trolley can get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. The Premium Outlet mall, a Publix supermarket and Walgreens are only 5 minutes away by bus, the I-ride or car.
There's a mini bar size fridge in the room so you can store food if you want. This saved me a fair bit of cash, as I could take my own sandwiches, snacks and bottles of water to the theme parks, which meant I then only had to buy dinner each day.
The pool area is very nice, the cabanas could use a little maintenance, but the jacuzzi and the pool itself were lovely. The one thing that would have made it better still is if someone from the bar came out to the pool area from time to time & offered me a drink :-)
As some people have mentioned in previous posts, some of the decor is getting a little tired but I think for the price you pay slightly faded chairs in the room are not really an issue, especially if you’re spending most of the day at the parks anyway. I booked an advance purchase non-refundable rate through Expedia and got a King room at Easter time for £32 (approx. $50) per night, as opposed to the cheapest Disney resort I could find which was £90 per night (approx. $140).
As I was out at the parks all day I never had dinner at the hotel, but I had breakfast one morning which was fine.
A car would be useful if you have a family to transport. If you use the local buses, you have to transfer between different routes no matter which park you’re going to, which was OK for me travelling by myself but would be boring for kids. If you do plan on using the Lynx buses I recommend that you download the timetables and print out a few copies to take with you.
If you like a big, buzzy hotel with hoardes of staff and guests, then this isn't the place to go, but if you're like me and prefer a nice, quiet place with unobtrusive but friendly staff, the Monumental is a great choice. It was excellent value for money and much better than a 2000 room hotel like Disney's with loads of screaming kids dive bombing in the pool!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank west49th
There are newer reviews for Monumental Hotel Orlando

Reviewed April 25, 2011

I booked this Hotel getting a great deal, but having no idea, on what to expect. I must confess that I was very nervous after reading other reviews of other hotels, but the worse thing I read about his hotel was that it was 'like a ghost town'.

On arrival it seemed like a 'Ghost town', but that was not a bad thing, as it meant at night time we had peace!

My only negative comment would have to be when checking out I was given a bill for a service charge (which I thought I had paid everything when making the booking) The Charge was only $13.?? ($6.?? per night), but would have be nice to be told this before hand.

The rooms was to a HIGH standard, everything was clean. I had a problem one morning with the iron, house keeping replaced it straight away. Free internet connection in the room. The bathroom was very clean. The pool was clean.

My summary- well worth more money than I had paid. We were about 15 mins away from Disney, 5 from Seaworld. It was clean, and the quality was great. Would recommend, just ask about the service charge!

Room Tip: Check out the reviews
3  Thank slcw
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I was 9 days with my family at the Monumental Hotel Orlando and loved it. The room is big and comfortable. Clean and completely mold. the heated pool is very tasty and the hotel is so quiet that despite being crowded, it seemed there was nobody. great to sleep, relax and enjoy. It is very close to the Outlet and close to Disney Parks. Recommend.

1  Thank serejo
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We had a fantastic trip at Monumental. Clean, spacious room, comfortable amenities, and we LOVED the fact (as adult travelers) that there were few children and few residents in the hotel. Not that we are opposed to kids, but it is a spectacularly quiet environment. The pool is gorgeous, clean, and lightly attended. The location is close to I-4 and Sea World, a short trip to anything we needed. For the price, at a peak week of travel, this hotel was fantastic!

My one and only complaint is that our booking was not quite as we thought. I had some trouble with confirmations and the number or days we were staying. It worked out fine, but the front desk wasn't terribly concerned about the mistake, and didn't really work with me well to fix it. I could certainly have put up a bigger stink, but if they simply had e-mail confirmations it would solve all the problems.

Regardless, I would stay here again. Excellent value, especially for childless adults looking to relax.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amwharmby
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Nice clean rooms closer to universal then Disney.... Stayed here at the last minute since we arrived in Orlando a day early

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Mur7ay
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I think you'll agree that Monumental Hotel is pretty impressive at first sight. I loved the location, being only a 10 minute ride to Universal, a rock's throw to SeaWorld, and a couple minute ride to the restaurant strip on International, while still feeling away from a lot of bustle. I was especially impressed as I walked through the hallways to the registration desk. I also liked the fact that the hotel was pretty sparsely populated during our stay. I thought it was a bit strange, but not in a bad way at all. I guess I'm just not used to a seemingly nice hotel with fewer guests than you'd expect.

Check in was very prompt and easy. Our room was spacious, extremely clean and we even had a complimentary computer with internet. The interior had a modern cleanliness to it with a slightly old fashioned theme, which is a nice touch. And the pool was gorgeous! It's probably the most impressive feature. Very clean, upscale, and luxurious looking.

That being said, let's move to my two main criticisms. For one, the AC unit was the only old and rickety thing in our room. It was set hanging in the ceiling above the entrance hallway. It was noisy and looked out of place in the nice looking room. The AC did not respond to my changes on the thermostat, which made me doubt that the two were even connected. And when it cut itself off, it continued to make noise! About every two minutes, it made this very brief but HORRIBLE buzz/vibrating noise that sounded exactly like a cell phone vibrating on a hard wood surface (everyone knows how loud that can be.) We couldn't really hear it when the AC was running, but it made that buzz noise every couple minutes when the AC wasn't even running! I knew it was the AC making the noise because it stopped after I jumped up to turn off the power switch by the ceiling. That noise kept me awake for a while! Good thing I tend to sleep pretty well...

Second, like I said, we had a computer, and also a nice little refrigerator, but what's missing from the picture? A microwave! We had leftover food (good food) that just ended up spoiling because we then realized there wasn't a microwave in the room. OK, a complimentary computer with internet, but no microwave? Most people have portable phones or laptops with internet capabilities these days, but I've never heard of anyone with a portable microwave...Even the cheapest motels have both a fridge and a microwave!

And one minor criticism...The dying plants outside could use some sprucing up or, better yet replacement.

Anyway, I know it may sound pretty bad, but besides the few setbacks, Monumental Hotel is actually very nice in my opinion and I would recommend it. With some improvements, it could be excellent. It's got outstanding potential and I wouldn't mind staying again, as long as I was guaranteed a room with a microwave and a quiet AC!

Room Tip: Try complaining to front desk in case of noisy AC
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikeyvinny
Reviewed April 7, 2011

This trip to Orlando we were only going to be visiting Sea World, Aquatica, Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens. This location was ideal for all but BG (in Tampa!). We could be in the gates in less than 10 minutes. I'm a bit of a clean freak about hotels when we travel and usually clean the room (esp bathroom) before we settle in. I wiped down the floors, bathtub & vanity w/ some clorox wipes, NO DIRT was on the cloths after... very impressive! I checked all the beds and everything was on the up & up. Very clean. Customer service was wonderful & everyone was very friendly. On our last night there a bunch of charter buses filled the hotel. We had to call down to the front desk about 5 times throughout the night because of party people in the hall having a good (& loud) time, but the manager took care of it and appoligized for the trouble. Great pool. No fitness center, which I really wished they had. Overall great experience. Will be back!

1  Thank drinkonthebeach