Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Center - Sports Complex
Ranked #276 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a great alternative when you need to stay near the convention center for several days. The room comes equipped with a full size fridge, microwave, coffee pot, dishes, and basic cooking pans & utensils. Great way to economize without going into a questionable facility. My room was clean and comfortable. Remember, you don't get daily housekeeping, but you're not being charged for it, either. You can always exchange your towels during your stay. There are two Extended Stay hotels on Westwood Dr. I stayed at Extended Stay America. Extended Stay Deluxe is next door and has larger rooms, as well as a pool. Both are great values. The hotel is very close to the convention center and all the I-Drive amenities.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank TotalRoadWarrior

Reviewed March 24, 2011

This was the worst hotel I ever tried to stay at. The person at the front desk was rude. The room smelled like someone chained smoked in there forever. It was not worth it. The way the hotel looked, I kept waiting for prostitutes and drug dealers to walk out at any moment. I decided to lose my money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011
4  Thank MrsJohnson2B
Reviewed March 21, 2011

If you are a smoker or do not mind smoke disregard the following. For the rest of us, this hotel, practically speaking, only offers smoking rooms. The third floor houses the smoking rooms and the air system pushes the smoke through the vents to the lower bathrooms and subsequent lower rooms. This was experienced in two rooms in a four night stay. I ended up going to the Extended Stay on John Young Pkwy. The difference in money is not worth it to stay at the Westwood Blvd location. When confronting the front desk regarding the smoke issue, we were initially treated poorly and only after talking to a regional manager were we able to gain a credit back. The rooms are spacious and offer enough convienience. There is no DVD player or outputs for a DVD player so if you are traveling with kids or for an extended stay be aware. The deluxe hotels do offer DVD players as well as small continental breakfasts and slightly upgraded furniture.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank ajsiegel00
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Before I review this hotel, I just want to let you know that we bid through Priceline and paid a whopping $25 a night. This is important. At that price, this place is totally worth it. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

When we arrived, we got checked in with no hassle. It is tucked in behind Extended Stay Deluxe, so make sure you keep an eye out for that hotel. We got in the room and noticed it was a bit stuffy. Just as someone below mentioned, our non-smoking room smelled recently smoked in, as well. Our a/c was not working well and by day two stopped working entirely. We notified the front desk and they replaced the unit within an hour. Kudos for the quick service!

We noticed that things seemed old and slightly grungy as soon as we arrived. This is an older hotel that hasn't been updated. There is a kitchen with full utensils and pots and pans, which is nice. That has the potential to save you lots of cash if you're in the area for the theme parks. The toilet handle had to be pushed all the way down to get it to flush, but otherwise the bathroom was just fine. I think the water pressure is kept intentionally light because the shower doesn't put out much pressure. Word of warning, the mattress is pretty firm, too.

Everything else you need is there, but this is an older place, so make sure you understand that so you aren't disappointed when you arrive. It's in a good area and about a 10-15 minute drive (in good traffic) to the Disney parks. SeaWorld is REALLY close.

We only have one big complaint. We paid $5 for our stay for wireless internet with almost no speed. Once you sign in, they offered you an upgrade to passable speed for an extra $15 (or more). It just sorta seemed like a shady tactic. Like they're blackmailing you into paying for extra speed. I'd pay the $5 and get used to not being able to stream video while you're there.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Janie S
Reviewed February 21, 2011

i stayed at this hotel for 4 nights because I was attending a conference at the Convention Center. This hotel is tucked away behind another hotel. I loved that I could walk from this to the back of the Convention Center. I called the hotel to let them know that I would be running late because I knew that they were going to be busy because of the convention. When I arrived there were no rooms left so they put me in the model room and it was better than all the other rooms in the building. This hotel is on the trolley line (right in front of the hotel) which comes in handy (and is cost effective) when traveling throughout Orlando.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I reserved a Non-Smoking. The room had been smoked in. And not like one smoke. It smelled like someone had been smoking for weeks. When asked to move rooms, the front desk thought I was crazy. "That is a Non-Smoking room. Just turn the vent in the bathroom on." I asked again. They wanted another $50 a night to move to another room, but wouldn't let me check to see if this non-smoking room smelled like smoke. I gave it one night in the original room. After not being able to sleep with the smell, I moved to a new hotel. Also the sink in the room didn't drain. This place was a dump.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank budman1099
Reviewed January 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked ESA literally just a day before we headed off to Orlando for Disney World & other theme parks. It was a great deal we found online (online is more accurate-- if you call them directly, they may say their booked when really there are rooms available online). It's not a Hilton or anything to write home about, but all in all it was very good for our week-long stay & the kitchen was definitely the highlight.

Positives::
-The kitchen! Everything you'll need to for cooking, heating, eating (futensils, bowls, etc.) are included which is very nice (and saves you money) although I still prefer using my own utensils (just because you never know who used them before you!) but all in all the kitchen was a plus in my book. Also a full-sized fridge!
-Spacious, with an extra table/desk (We used one for our computer and the other for eating). Convenient!
-For the whole time we were there, we hardly heard people/noise in other rooms. It was pretty quiet and peaceful (although we know there were lots of other people staying there for the holidays). The only noise would be from the hallways and it wasn't that bad and usually in the morning.
-We were located towards the end of the hallway, and there was an extra door there, so it was very convenient for us. After hours, you use your key to open that door. We used that door the whole time we were there and never had to pass through the front desk.
-Great deal. Cheap place with everything you need (kitchen).

Negatives::
-Inaccurate/misleading information: When we tried to book the first time, we called the hotel directly, and the guy said that they were all booked up, no availability (and he seemed quite impatient). However, I saw availability online and booked it anyways (just to see if it would go through) and it did! I called again just to confirm with him and he said my reservation was in the system. Very unprofessional in this aspect. Another misleading info was that on their website, it clearly stated they had Disney ticket packages available but there was no link or any other info about it. But when I asked the same guy about this, he said to just click on the link on their website (there was NO link) ... In other words, their "Disney packages" were nonexistent. Talk about confusing!
-When I arrived to the hotel, I asked about the Disney ticket packages again and the woman there told me they did not sell tickets, then she referred me to some guy in a neighboring hotel that did sell tickets (we did end up buying tickets from him, but he is dishonest, more info on this below).
-Upon entering the hotel, there was a stuffy, nursing home- like smell which would be the smell of our room and the entire hotel for the whole time we were there (made me want to leave at first).
-You have to pay 5 bucks just to use the internet (which was SLOW & impossible for uploading bulk pictures on Facebook! ) and you have to PAY MORE just to get faster speed! Bad move on their part...
-No printer available but you could use the printer in Extended Stay Deluxe which was right in front of ESA (takes forever to set up and print, though!)
-No breakfast. The kitchen is there, and I guess they expect you to use it.
-I booked one of those "signature" rooms, and I have to say I was a bit dissappointed. Although it looked nice in the pictures, it looked nothing more than a basic motel in reality and the sheets, etc looked cheap.
-The room seemed a bit old and needs renovating.

To be honest, the place grew on me and it was all in all not a bad place considering the price for our week long stay in Orlando. We were exhausted throughout the week from Disney and all, and it was a great place to relax and sleep. It is definitely better than an average motel and good enough for a "home away from home" place for couples or even a family.

BEWARE***One thing to note is that if you're looking for a place to buy "cheaper" Disney tickets (other than online), they may refer to a guy in a neighboring hotel (Hawthorne) who sells tickets. He set up his own little booth in a corner of that hotel. We did buy from him because he was apparently there everyday and seemed somewhat legit. However, he seemed very hesitant when we asked for his name and phone number (in case there were any problems) and I found out why afterwards. We realized on the day we wanted to go to Seaworld that our Seaworld tickets were YOUTH tickets for grade 3 to grade 12 only.. (We are in college) and when we tried to get ahold of him, we realized that the "cell phone number" he gave us was the number of that hotel!!! I was furious, but it was the weekend and he was off. In other words, he LIED to us and is definitely DISHONEST. We ended up trying the tickets anyways, and luckily it worked.... But for potential ticket buyers, I would say just buy it the "official" way online... It's just not worth the risk of dealing with dishonest people like him and you don't even save that much anyways! STAY away from those liars! Goodluck!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple