“Wonderful locaton, Comfortable & Spacious Condos, Resort Amenities”

Marriott's Grande Vista
Ranked #68 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at Grande Vista with another couple and loved the place! Our two bedroom condo was perfect for the four of us. A full kitchen and large dining table enabled us to eat in for breakfast and often for dinner with ease. The location off International Drive is nearly ideal for visiting any of the theme parks (which we didn't) or shopping centers (which we did). Although it was a little cool for the pools on the property we did take advantage of some of the many entertainment opportunities offered at the resort including a lesson in making mohitos and a blind chocolate tasting--both were fun opportunites to interact with other guests if you wished.

The bedrooms in our condo were spacious and comfortable with flat screen TV's in each as well as in the common living area. All in all Grande Vista was a perfect getaway location.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank NCtourist
Write a ReviewReviews (4,228)

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We loved our stay at this hotel. It was beautiful and we have no complaints whatsoever. However the front desk help was absolutely incompetent. We checked in between 9 or 10 pm after a long day in Walt Disney World with our 6 very tired children. My husband had called just a few hours earlier to let them know we were coming in late. I had called several days before to confirm our reservation. Everything was good to go... Upon arriving, I handed them my confirmation number and drivers license. After looking I was informed that they could not find our reservation and that our unit had been given to someone else because someone had cancelled our reservation. The guy at the front desk disappeared to talk it over with his manager. The manager came back and informed us that their hands were tied and that we would have to find some place else to stay.. I told them that this was unacceptable and that we had already paid for our room in full. They proceeded to get another manager who also told us the same thing. This went on for about an hour..we were exhausted and angry. My husband went to work on it and had them look up our reservation using my name and wa lah, like magic they found our reservation!!! Duh!!! Unbelievable... these people seemed incapable of thinking. We are not sure why they had such a hard time finding our reservation but they put us through a lot of stress after a long exhausting day. They handled the entire thing so unprofessionally. I was very disappointed with them.... but we enjoyed our stay. But, Marriott needs to train their employees better or find smarter people to work for them.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kfamily8
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We spent 1 week at the Marriott Grande Vista, Orlando and cannot say enough good things about it. The rooms were great- all the comforts of home. The grounds were well kept and very picturesque. The pool near the main reception was warm and lovely, and shade was available if you needed to get out of the sun for awhile. No shortage of clean beach towels. The bell man will drive you out to the I-ride trolley bus stop on International Drive so getting around is easy. When you are ready to come back to the hotel, there is a phone at the gate so all you have to do is call reception and the bell man will come and pick you up and drive you to your building. No complaints about this place at all. There is a little souvenir shop/grocery store near reception but it does not carry a lot of food, so it is best to take some with you until you can get to a grocery store.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank JetOttawa
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This was our 3rd stay at this resort, so we knew what to expect. This time we were there for the Home Builders' Show, so my husband and I only needed a one bdrm unit. We are Marriott owners at the Grande Ocean and Ocean Watch Villas. In the past we have always stayed in a 2 bdrm unit here, because we brought children or friends along. We chose this resort because it is very close to the Orange County Convention Center on Universal Drive. I called 5 wks. in advance and requested a high floor lake facing unit in one of 4 bldgs. I liked.
Upon arrival, the lady at the front desk assured me that my request was granted. However, upon arrival at the unit, we saw that we were placed on the 2nd floor with a peekaboo view through a palm tree on our balcony of the very corner of the lake. We almost went back to say we wanted a different unit, but we were tired. That was a little disappointing, though. The unit, however, had recently been updated and the furnishings were lovely.
Then we noticed that the shower door would not stay closed. Some water would spill on the floor after a shower. I called Maintenance. They apologized and said someone would come that day. No one ever came.
One thing that was a little bothersome, was the fact that if you pushed the power button on the livingroom tv, it would also turn on the tv in the master bdrm. at the same time. This was due to the fact that both tvs' were located very close to each other. However, if you closed the bdrm door, the problem went away.
The only other thing was that the maid would come very early in the morning wanting to clean...around 8:30. We sometimes would be gone by then, but sometimes be there. We lacked a "do not disturb" sign, but once we asked for one, the problem was solved.
Lastly, on the second day, someone from the time share office called us, asking us to go on a tour of the property with them and to "learn more" about the new programs they offered. We already knew everything about the property and new program, since we had already been informed at a different Marriott timeshare. I conveyed this to the rep. but she was so persistent and would not take "no" for an answer. So I just hung up the phone. This , I thought, was unprofessional.
With all that said, the resort is very nice. We especially like the outdoor bar/ restaurant by the pool on the newer side of the property. We keep coming back because of the great location. Next time, however, we might go down the road a little to the Cypress Harbour Resort, which is just lovely and our last visited there last year was really almost perfect. Plus, they have HDTV.
One last thing: The bed was very firm. Most Marriott beds have a foam topper on the mattress. This one did not.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This was great. We were two families with young kids. Lots to do at the resort, close to the parks, outstanding furnishings in the unit, nice new kitchen, two screened porches in a 2 bd villa. All good.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I have stayed at a number of Marriott timeshare resorts in the Orlando area and have never had a complaint. However, the Marriott Grande Vista didn't measure up to the standards met by their other resorts.

First, let me say that the grounds and common areas were very well maintained. I wish the same could have been said about what apparently was an old building. Given the fact that timeshare owners may a yearly maintenance fee that is supposed to keep the units in great shape, there is no excuse for the complete lack of attention given to our unit in Building 96.

The refrigerator was rusted all around the door seal and the crisper drawers fell out the first time we opened the door. The cabinet doors were well worn and the door to the trash under the sink was slightly sprung open.

The shower in the mast bath has had probems with water leaks. Rather than fixing the problem they just attempted to cover everything up with huge amounts of sloppily applied caulk. The metal corner bead on the drywall around the shower was rusted and chunks of drywall and paint were coming off.

The unit came with a DVD player, which was nice. However, the normal procedure is to hook it up prior to the guest arriving . I ended up pulling out the TV cabinet and TV in order to run the power and video cables.

I assume that because we exchanged in there rather than own at that resort we were given the old crappy units. However, it doesn't speak well for Marriott and I say nothing that would entice me to purchase there.

Do yourself a favor, if you plan to stay at a Marriott timeshare resort in the Orlando area, select a different location. The overall staff was very friendly. However, once you move into a unit and your days are already scheduled, you don't want to spend your time unit shopping.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2010

This was our first stay at the Marriots Grande Vista in Orlando. We loved this place!! You are right near Sea World and about half way from Disney World and Universal. We stayed in building 84 room 4505 with 4506 attached as a lockout. We went with our 2 teenage sons for a Disney/Universal vacation. Our unit was recently refurbished. We had approx 1200 square feet with a screen porch and a deck. This unit overlooked the lake which was beautiful. The unit had 2 master suites on either sides of a living room, dining room and kitchen. My husband and I had a large 2 person whirlpool tub which I used everyday after walking the parks for 10 hours. Our boys also had a king size bed and their own bathroom. (no large whirlpool tub). We had 2 pull out queen size sofas which we didn't use but we could have brought 4 more people with us and been comfortable there. One of the sofas was in our sons room and the other in the living room. There is a granite breakfast bar that seats 3 and a dining room table that seats 6. The furnishings are very attractive. I was a little concerned about the bed because it seemed to be a little to firm, but I slept very well on it and they have great feather pillows. If you have a pillow top mattress at home, or need more padding you may want to call and ask if they have rooms with softer mattresses. I did notify them that it felt a little to firm and they said they were all new mattresses and had just been replaced. They sent me 2 additional mattress pads which I did put on the bed. We had 3 LG flat screen TV's. There is a washer and dryer in the unit and we did all our laundry the night before we came home. The only thing they could do to update the unit is to put stainless steal appliances in it. Currently they have white appliances and they are all in good condition but feel a little like the 90's. The pool and hot tub area is beautiful. We used the hot tub as well, and my boys swam in the 84 degree pool and enjoyed themselves. Overall I would give this place a 9 out of 10. Request a newly refurbished room as I did and you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family