“Almost perfect”

Ranked #57 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Reading, PA
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed December 2, 2006

I can't say enough positive things about our stay. The resort was beautiful. The staff was friendly. Our room was clean, very well kept and had a beautiful view. This was our first visit and we plan on going back. I n fact, we thought about buying a timeshare here.

We went for our honeymoon and did not take any kids. The resort was perfect for us. The location is great and it was very convenient to get to Sea World, Disney, Tampa, Universal Studios and the Orlando airport.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in a building in the back of the resort
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Friday13th

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 2, 2006

After looking at different resorts on Interval International and reading reviews here, I decided to go with Marriott's Grande Vista.
That was the right choice to make.
As we pulled into the long Winding driveway we knew right away that we had made the right choice. The resort is set back from the main road and shielded by trees all around it. Along the way to the checkin desk was landscaped nicely and had views of the golf course.
Check in was a breeze. Took about 10 minutes even though we had to wait our turn. They originally we going to give us a room with a view of the golf course. When we said we would rather view the lake or one of the many pools, it was no problem.
We got to our room and opened the door. It was fabulous. the pictures they show do not give justice to the way the rooms really look. They are better
We had a problem with burnt out lightbulbs in some of the rooms. All it took was a phone call and someone was there within 5 minutes
The grounds are meticulously landscaped. There are 4 pools that are scattered through out the resort, and all of them are very nice
I can not think of anything negative about the place and would definitely considerstaying there again in the future

• Liked — location to theme parks, landscaping, general looks of the place
  • Disliked — cant think of a thing
16 Thank Steve32123
brunswick
Reviewed November 27, 2006

The outside grounds of the hotel were very lavish and nice, however the 2 bedroom unit we got was in poor condition. The furniture was all chipped and worn, the kitchen cabinets were a mess, the floors and countertops were dirty. I had them come back and clean the first day since it was so gross. They dont provide any washcloths and the towels are scratchy.
Overall the room was musty and appeared in dire need of cleaning up as well as upkeep of the furniture. all of the dining room chairs and barstools were terribly stained.
The best part of the hotel was the pool area, and the beds and pillows were comfortable.

• Liked — the bed and pillows
  • Disliked — the room was worn
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank dljames29
charlotte, NC
Reviewed November 24, 2006

As a 10 year Marriott Gold member (50+ nts/yr), I feel qualified to say this property does not reflect typical Marriott quality.

I called the front desk during my first night to complain about bugs in our kitchen (small ants all over the kitchen counter/sink) and 2nd bathroom (larger black ants).

The front desk assured me that their bug service would be there to service the room Saturday, the next day. Arriving back at the room the next day, I was glad to see the bug company's hang tag in the kitchen. I used it to kill several more ants.

Again, I called the desk, was told it may take some time for the chemicals to work and that engineering would be back up the next morning. At breakfast the following day, I was greeted by more bugs. At least I got a call from the time share sales rep that evening and was able to laugh at the opportunity to buy a bug-infested unit of my own.

The staff presented no solutions to the problem though quite aware of my displeasure and showed nothing but indifference throughout our stay. I believe the attendant at the rock climbing wall will need to have the cell phone sugically removed from her ear someday ("What did I say to him? Really! I don't remember. What did I say?").

Don't bother. There are more than a few better choices in the area, especiallyin the Marriott family.

10 Thank Marriottrewardsguy
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Our family (2 kids) recently stayed at the Marriott Grande Vista and had a fantastic time! The resort is beautiful and our 1-br unit was perfect for our family. It was spacious, clean, and well-furnished. We had a unit overlooking the golf course and a pond. The view was just beautiful.

There were several pools in the resort but we only used the main pool and it was really nice, although it would have been nicer if the water was a little warmer.

The staff was very courteous, cordial, and helpful, from the the front desk employees, concierge, to the housekeepers and maintenance people.

The location of the resort is perfect. It is only a few minutes away from the theme parks and very close to Sea World. There is a grocery store not too far where you can get everything that you may need for your vacation.

We only had one negative experience at the resort. We came back to the resort late one night and there was a group of men (maybe 8 or more) having drinks right by the entrance in our building. They were not drunk (yet) but I don't think it's the appropriate place to be drinking and partying. Aside from that, everything went well and we all loved the place.

• Liked — The units were nice and clean
  • Disliked — The resort is too big
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to get an updated unit
5 Thank bb3rd
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with other family members. The apartment was one of the newer ones and was superbly decorated and had everything to make it a home from home. If I had one concern it is that some of the furniture was not designed with kids in mind - sharp corners and edges etc., although this seems typical of Florida apartments. The resort itself is excellent. The surroundings, peaceful and attractive, with plenty of on-site, non-golf (!) activities for all the family. They even have organised, supervised activities for children as young as 2 years old free of charge. The pools are family orientated and clean, with enough loungers to go around and the on-site staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Really looking forward to my next stay at the resort.. having had such a 'grande' time!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank MrsLLL
DalgetyBay, Scotland
Reviewed October 29, 2006

this was our 3rd visit in 4 years so you can imagine that we had 2 good experiences, however things are definitely changing and not for the better.

When we arrived we were booked into a ground floor room where we stayed for one night. The room was damp due to the water spray for plants outside the door and the toilet blocked twice in 2 hours. The front door was also difficult to lock and looked as if it had been forced at some point without being repaired.

On the next day we moved upstairs and the difference was amazing. toilets all worked and the room was fresh and secure.

Cleaning is patchy, on some days we had to phone to ask for a towel service before the staff went home.

The staff at the golf course were incredibly rude. I have played at some REALLY class clubs such as St Andrews, St Andrews bay and gleneagles where the staff are always deferrential and pleasant, generally you only know they are there if you need them, not so at the 3rd rate faldo golf institute. My wife came to the shop with me to help me pick out some clothing before my round. she was well dressed wearing knee length short and a tee shirt covering her pool gear. The obnoxious creep at the till waited for me to pay for my equipment and green fees before saying "she riding with you, cos she cant go on the course without a collar" Instead of putting on the light jacket my wife brougt she opted to go back to the pool. I was livid and complained, adding insult to injury there were many people escorted by females wearng bikinis, cut-off jeans etc who were allowed in unchallenged. I can only guess that they were members of this overpriced establishment.

I had a teenage daughter with me and found her and her friend at the lighthouse bar one night with a bunch of irish kids, only one of home looked remotely close to 21, yet the staff let him buy drinks for a party of 12 teenagers for hours on end. luckily my daughter is sensible but her friend was very drunk. none of the staff seemed to think this was a problem.

There was a real shortage of events and entertainment compared to previous years.

Stayed June 2006