“First Time But Not The Last” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Grande Vista

Marriott's Grande Vista
Ranked #51 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
oxnard, ca
“First Time But Not The Last”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2005

My friend owns a timeshare at the Marriott GV and invited me and another friend for a mini-reunion. We had 6 children w/us (ages 2-10) and a 3 bedroom villa. The villa was on the ground floor - great for the kids but it was musty and dark. There weren't any screens on the windows to allow us to open them. We turned up the AC when we left the room to sort of dehumidify the place and it helped. But the floorplan was great and it never seemed crowded even w/9 of us!

All of the employees we encountered were helpful and very accomodating w/our lg. group. They seemed to really like kids and weren't just tolerating them! We had lunch at Nick's on the first day and our children, although well-behaved, were pretty chatty and the staff noted that it was a nice change from the quiet. The bellman - Michael drove us to Nick's in the hotel van and when we called him for a ride back to the room, we showed up in a big golf cart. The kids loved it.

We especially loved the main pool - it had something for everyone - a small wading pool for the under 3's, a fountain, and a large pool. Nearby was a convenience store w/snacks, ice cream and pizza. There are other pools, I think, but we never went there. We also had plans to put the older kids in the kids activities but we never got to. We were so busy that it wasn't necessary!

They told us about the Publix supermarket and we stocked up on water and breakfast food and sandwich fixings. I'm glad we did because there were a couple of days when we got back late and we were too tired to go out for food. There are restaurants nearby on International Drive.

A car was necessary to get around to Disney World and stores but they weren't too far of a drive. One tip: I was quoted $330 to rent a minivan for 5 days from Budget and when I asked if that was their lowest rate, the reservationist asked me if I had a Costco card. I did and the rate went down to $130. Amazing.

Overall, our experience was an excellent one. I'm even tempted to look into buying a timeshare there myself. I would, however, make sure I request a more updated room and maybe on a second floor.

• Stayed June 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank tuffy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

We just spent a wonderful Memorial Holiday week at this beautiful resort. We had a two bedroom condo that was very nice. We stayed at the St. Augustine building, (number 99 I think). It had been refurbished and was very nice. It was fairly clean, few dust bunnies hiding out, but not bad at all. I don't know where some of the bad reviews are coming from. I was worried after reading some of the past reviews, but I have very few complaints. We did request more towels from the lady who called to ask if we wanted to attend a informative tour and never received them. I don't think housekeeping got the note. We also went to the front desk to get disney tickets and they were sold out, but no big deal. The grounds are beautiful. Our balcony overlooked the golf course and driving range. It was very relaxing after a long day. We had a screened in balcony with a ceiling fan/light. Our daughter had a regular balcony with no screen. Daughter and son shared the bedroom, which had a queen bed and a sofa bed along with a mini fridge, mini microwave, etc. The pools at the resort are wonderful, and the hot tub is hot! Yes, there were kids around, but we enjoyed watching them. Didn't really see any misbehaving etc. (our kids are 23 and 13). The kitchen is fully equipped with even a blender. Came in handy for those margarita's on the balcony!
If you're thinking of staying at this resort----do it!

8 Thank Peggy555
Holland, Europe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

Since this is a timeshare resort, you should not expect a hotel. We have stayed at other Marriott timeshares before and have learned that it is handy to have a car. This is more like a mixture between a hotel and renting a house. If you did not book it as a hotel, you will not have a maid cleaning the room daily (unless you pay for it).

Checking in went quickly, checking out even quicker (no need to go to the lobby, what you spent will be deducted from the credit card, and the keys from the room you leave at the security gate).

Lots of people think the Publix supermarket is great. We did not think so. Okay, there are many options, but prices were very high compared to the 24hr Wal Mart. There are 2 Publix supermarkets in the area, neither one is in walking distance for shopping and carrying groceries. Ask the lobby for driving directions to Wall Mart (it is basically very simple, just about 10 minutes driving).

Since it is better to be with a rental car (or van, as that seems the most popular car over there), the parks are not too far away. The rooms look nicely decorated, everything was basically clean when we arrived. The batteries from the remote were taken by the previous occupant, but replaced the next day when we asked (we arrived in the evening and didn't bother then).

We stayed two weeks in the same room, and it was not cleaned when the new week started. I mentioned that, and it seems management can improve here.

The pools are nice, but can be crowded at sunny days. In May there were enough seats to sit around the pool. There are plenty of activities to do, so you do not get bored at the resort. We were mainly gone (which was basically a shame, since the hotel deserves it to stay more there). If you have a room with kitchen and dining room, it is very sufficient. A room with just a small kitchen will also cater most of your needs. The washingmachine and dryer make more noise then ours in europe.

This resort does not excel in (hotel)service, but it makes up for it in view, amenities and space. We'd go there again.

19 Thank DutchyCan
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

and it had nothing to do with Disneyworld!
We loved this hotel. Stayed for five nights and only went to Disney for one day. Rest of the time we were on the property. Our three year old found plenty of things to do and we were able to relax too! There are two great pools with lots of kid friendly activities, an indoor climbing tube structure, paddle boats and fishing gear to rent, and a kids club.
Our room was great. We got a one bedroom 700+ square foot room with a full kitchen, washer and dryer, and whirlpool tub and deck. The room was very clean.
When we left, our daughter started to cry. We asked if it was because she'd miss Disneyworld, and she said she was going to miss her hotel.
My husband and I enjoyed our stay too. Just the right mix of kid friendly/adult fun type of place.
Definitley recommend.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
14 Thank pnutbutter
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2005

I stayed here with my boyfriend last September and loved it. This is a very large resort on the quieter side of I-Drive.

The hotel is very clean, the staff are very helpful and the rooms were spacious and had everything you would expect from a Marriott hotel. The decor and furniture was like new. My only complaint would be the location as there are no bars/restaurants nearby.You definately need to hire a car.

I certainly could not fault this hotel. The pictures shown on expedia are very accurate and I cannot understand why people are complaining about it.

• Stayed September 2004
10 Thank KatieWManchester
Frankfort, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2005

This is was my second visit to the Grande Vista. We stayed May 24-31, 2005. My wife and six year old daughter enjoy this place. The entrance is beautiful. Plenty of free parking and a security station at the front entrance. The pools are fantastic. There is one pool area that is zero entry with lots of splash fountains for the young ones. We had a one bedroom unit in the Denia building. We had nice vistas of the golf course and the one of the quiet pools directly below us.. The indoor play ground (huge jungle gym) is a big hit with my daughter. I only have two complaints. The furniture was starting to show wear in our unit and the maid service was non existent for a couple of days. The unit is very clean and the whole complex is very tidy. I highly recommend this place. I will be back in October.

10 Thank George L
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2005

We stayed at the Grande Vista from May 13 to May 21, 2005. WE requested a new or refurbished room. We were given building 85. Everything was really nice in the resort and in the villa. The villa was nearly brand new and spacious. Parking was convenient. The pools was close and really nice for our children. There were many activities for children of all ages an adults. The resort photographer did a wonderful job with our family portraits. We will definitely visit this resort again.

9 Thank Pollyann