“Great Family Resort”

Ranked #55 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Manchester, NH
“Great Family Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've stayed at this property many, many times over the years and find it a great, but not perfect, getaway. We took the two kids for their first trip to Disney in late February of this year and stayed here....not surprised at all that during the days out and about, they couldn't wait to get back to the resort.

First, the good...it's in a great spot in Orlando. Secluded, but close to everything. Nine hole golf course on site and an 18 hole course across the street. Pools are fun for both the adults and kids - they're plenty big and spacious enough so if you want some alone time in or near water, it's there. Villa's have some of the nicest appointments anywhere. Granite counters, full kitchens, nice appliances, beautiful furnishings, everyone has a balcony or patio (2 if you have a 2BR unit). Gated, safe and secure. Poolside bars are great for beverages, snacks and light meals. Faldo's restaurant on the premises has great food all around. Prices for everything on premises are very reasonable. Plenty of pools all around the property, so you're no more than a few steps away from the closest one. The pond, activities, trails around the property and everything else really make this a place to stay for a week and you'd never have to leave if you don't want to.

I really can't say anything is "bad" at this property, but some things on the "downside" - WIFI has been slow for years and continues to be an issue for those of us who need it for internet access. Despite booking a 2BR villa early and requesting something close to the center of the "village" we ended up a few buildings away - this wasn't a deal-breaker for me, however - I book here like any other hotel and they told me straight up that their "owners" come first and I can appreciate that. This is a large property and some sort of construction is always taking place (sometimes large, sometimes small). They had a building close to us having a major "refresh" at the time, but again, it wasn't anything any of us had a major issue with other than some noise early in the AM.

Some people who have noted the lack of attention from Marriott regarding this property are spot-on. It's one of their corporate-owned resorts - which may be part of the problem. If it were owned by one of their franchisees, Marriott would mandate that any deficiencies get corrected immediately and customer service would be WAY better.

Room Tip: As if there are any construction activities planned during your stay and, if so, ask for accommodati...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hockeytraveler1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have been at Marriott's Grande Vista for 2 weeks. Great leisure options, nice restaurants around, nice assistance from staff. The only thing I regret was the absence of housecleaning - during our 2-week stay we had only 2 housekeeping services and they were so-so (by the first time no bed linen change nor floor decent cleaning).

Room Tip: We stayed at Ibiza Building (number 86) - really silent, although the most far from the pools. But e...
4 Thank Aline M
BRISTOL UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Firstly I have to say that this a very nice hotel / time share with plenty to do on site.

How ever it could be much better in terms of customer service in certain areas and cleanliness of the Pizza place.

My Partner and I stayed here in May 2013 with His parents who are in the senior years but still very active and young in thinking.

We were in Orlando at the time of the Cinco de Mayo festival so the hotel and surrounding areas were very busy.

The Villa we were allocated was lovely, very very clean and was just what we needed, However I think that reception need to be aware of what guests they are allocating villas to.

For 4 out of our 6 nights we had here the noise from the Villa above us was completely un bearable to the point that had we not be checking out to return home we would have checked out and gone to stay somewhere else.

We called reception on numerous occasions during the early hours but nothing was done about the noise and the attitude from the night team was pretty poor it was more a case that we had disturbed them rather than the fact that we were being disturbed by very noisy neighbours above us.
Now don't get me wrong this was not happening at a reasonable time of the evening we are talking early hours of the morning and it seemed as though there was about 30 adults partying in the villa above us, and at times did make us feel quite vulnerable which in 20 years of coming to Florida we have never felt this.

Adele who checked us in is a Credit to this property and if only more of the associates here have the same warm and friendly approach.

The pizza place is very un inviting and at time quite frankly dirty, our shoes stuck to the floor on the one occasion we chose to have lunch here and the place was full of flies which was quite off putting, again the associates in here were not very welcoming.

Its such a shame that this property does not have very welcoming associates in all areas and are not guest aware and deal with any issues as this could make this property a much better place.

We have stayed here on Numerous occasions but due to the fact that our issue was not remedied we would always look for other accommodation at another Vacation club rather than Grande Vista.
We filled an online questionnaire in for Grande Vista but some 3 months later we have still had no response.

Such a shame.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CHEF260
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Grande Vista, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Martinez, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been to the Marriott Newport Coast in southern California many times and it presents a high standard. The Marriott at South Lake Tahoe is also nice, so the expectation for trading a week to stay in Orlando was something similar. It was not, even if not bad.

My wife and I went off-season so it was not particularly crowded. We had a 2-bedroom suite reserved due to friends who were to meet us and cancelled at the last minute. The check-in was more trouble than it needed to be and afterward we were excitedly directed to the "other desk" across the lobby. We had an idea that this was the sales desk wanting us to consider a week here. Since our plans were not wall-to-wall busy we took the bait in exchange for a comp dinner at the JW Marriott and another at a nice steakhouse off-site (which was nice). The sales staff took quite a while getting us scheduled and getting our paperwork, which we later exchanged for the actual vouchers after attending the sales presentation the next morning.

That evening when we unpacked we started noticing the maintenance failures that should have been long since noticed, reported, and repaired. Stuff like a loose towel rack and faucet, carpet stain and drapes that wouldn't pull without a fight. Not enough to destroy our stay but just a lack of standards.

The next morning we met with the sales staff and found them overselling the property based on what we had seen of the grounds and suite. That may not sound surprising but when we told them that so far it was not on the quality scale of our usual Newport Coast property, even the sales guy sounded shocked that we had an even trade because he understood that the Grand Vista was NOT up to that standard. As we seemed not biting for buying, he of course sent in the manager, a retired military guy not in the best mood. He was fairly rude but thankfully blunt enough to shut down our meeting quickly and got our comps. I would not do this again.

By the second day we had found enough issues with our suite that we had maintenance come to the room and pointed out the various problems. We eventually moved to another suite in another building, which is a hassle but worth the trouble to get to a better suite.

I would not go back, although that is not to say that the entire place is a dump. The suite is well laid out, the furniture and kitchen are mostly adequate and would do the job for people looking for a place to sleep and shower. But the experience was disappointing, including the staff and the easily fixed items that were ignored. We are not snobby and will overlook a thing or two but when they start adding up to many things (doors that won't close easily, etc.), you won't help but have it affect your mood and want to spend less time at the resort and more time off the property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WAID
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Grande Vista. Your experience with the staff and maintenance issues are not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Bloomington IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

With all the glowing reviews of this property I was very much looking forward to a fantastic stay at the Marriott Grande Vista. Maybe I set the bar too high or maybe excellent experiences at other Marriott properties made comparisons tough, but I found this place below my experience for Marriott standards. Things started out wrong at check-in. It took a full 20 minutes to get checked in. The crowded lobby was a zoo with multiple families with their children running wild probably because of the extended time to check in. As a Lifetime Platinum I am used to the efficiency of the Marriott check-in process. While checking in at 4:30 in the afternoon, I was told that our room was not yet ready. After driving three hours through traffic and rainstorms, this is not something I wanted to hear. She could give no estimate about when the room would be ready. She offered me a different suite in the same building saying that it was just as good. When I saw the location of our building, I discovered that we were as far as we could be from the swimming pool and other activities. The reception agent told us that it was a very convenient short walk from our room and that the maps exaggerated this distance .... not true. The maps had it right and my children were very disappointed. As a Platinum member I typically get the royal treatment. This day felt like the royal brush-off. Our building was the only one without a view of the centerpiece lake and seemed like more of an overflow annex than a place where loyal customers are placed. Once in the room I found blinds that wouldn't close and drapes that were off the track. But after all the hassle and disappointment, I was not ready to deal with the staff further and just put up with what we had. These are things that housekeeping couldn't have helped but notice but did not request to have fixed. It doesn't look like real teamwork within the staff. I also received two phone calls from property sales representatives. When on vacation I would prefer phone calls only when it has to do with my stay. I don't want to take time away from my family to meet with a sales rep. Any sales calls should have been arranged prior to my arrival or after my return home. Even the welcome gift was unlike what I experience at other Marriott brands. Instead of a food or drink amenity (or points) I had to go to the concierge desk to receive an Orlando coupon book and a quick goodbye. That was not classy. Having stayed at several Marriott Vacation Clubs in the past, I like the room layouts and needed two bedrooms and I like the professionalism that I get from Marriott-trained hosts. The space and furniture accommodated us well. With all the other very fine choices in the Orlando area I cannot see myself returning here nor recommending it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nrstycz
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. As a valued Platinum Marriott Rewards member, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Grande Vista. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Let me start with a disclaimer: we paid a nightly rate of $115 a night, excluding taxes, and got $30 daily credit to spend at the resort. In short, the amount paid was very very good.
Did I get what I paid for? Absolutely.
Was I left wondering if I should have paid more and gotten more? Maybe I am too cheap but the next available rate was $270 for a 2-bedroom which we did not need.
We book the studio which is basically a typical hotel room.
The shocker came from moving from a 1-bedroom suite at the Hilton Parc Soleil to a hotel room at the Marriott. We went from ample space and plenty of sunshine and natural light to a gloomy ground level hotel room.
We paid the same rate at Parc Soleil. We moved as we were set on exploring a few locations in Orlando.
I would not stay again at this place if I had a studio room again.
What did I like about the place? The main pool was great for the kids. It closed at 11 PM only. Variety of food/drinks/marketplace right at the pool. The prices were fair for the convenience. The staff was courteous, smiling.
THere were at least two other pools for adults: secluded, much smaller, but quiet.
There were enough sun beds at the pool but too few parasols. I do not know why resorts are so stingy about installing mega umbrellas at the pools.
Plenty of towels at the pool.

Some downsides to consider: This resort is laid out like an apartment complex. You can be very far from the main pool but will always be fairly close to any of the pools depending on which building you are in. If you have any issue with walking, avoid this place. You will have to walk. Having said that, there is plenty of parking space at all hours so you can use your car.

We were surprised no one approached us over a 3-night period to sell us a timeshare or an upgrade. I guess they were full and did not need to generate more income during our stay.

Location is perfect with restaurants/grocery shopping within 5 minute drive, depending on the horrendous traffic on International drive.

We found this place to be better than Hilton Sea World Resort: On site food, pools, Golf course.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Had a great time at the Marriott Grande Vista. There is plenty to do on site, some free activity and some with an added charge. My family and I especially enjoyed the beach volleyball and corn hole which were both free activities. The staff was always very nice and the resort was well looked after. The grounds of the resort were beautiful and we enjoyed all the pools, the gym, and just the walking paths around. The onyl negative we experienced was the day of checkout, we had to be out of our room at 10 but the cleaning people were standing outside waiting for us to leave at 9:30. We were ready to go and didn't feel rushed but we knew they were waiting for us. We would stay at here again and overall had a very enjoyable, relaxing and fun time at this hotel.