“Supportive staff in an emergency”

Marriott's Grande Vista
Ranked #60 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Sydney, Australia
“Supportive staff in an emergency”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We just came from the Sheraton Vistana before this and I liked the this Marriott better. Its well placed along the i-drive.

One outstanding recommendation I can provide is to Jose Dominguez and his team who coordinated things after our 911 call for our daughter who needed an ambulance. After the hotel operator placed the call Jose was in our room soon after and his team was ensuring the ambulance had quick access to the right resort building, the elevator and our room.

His team member Julie spoke to my daughter and all was as calm as it could be. I was very impressed by their process and this helped us be calm too.

I wish we had more time to enjoy the resort because its like a post card. You can even fish in the lakes (well I saw a guy doing this).

Our 2 br appt was very spacious. Hard to go back to a hotel room the week after.

Highly recommended, happy to return.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room newly renovated. A lake view would have been very impressive (did not kn...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay in Orlando. It is close to all the parks and shopping.

It is great to have a room with a full kitchen and living space with a screened porch. The room was clean and had everything you could want including a lot of towels. The Grill was a great place to eat. We ate both lunch and dinner there and the food was delicious and we received more than enough!

The grounds were beautiful and there was something for everyone. I will never stay anywhere else in Orlando again!

Room Tip: If you want somewhere quiet, ask for a room on the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leila P
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from my 15th visit to MGV. Our family owns five weeks in a 3B/3B unit as well as a unit at Lakeshore Reserve and a Ritz-Carlton unit. We've been staying at Grande Vista since the beginning, though work and the Lakeshore Reserve unit has kept me from MGV for the last two years.

My husband and I vacationed with friends - no children - in a 3B/3B unit. We did have a nice time, got a great tan, came home rested BUT for the first time ever, I have a few (admittedly nitpicking) complaints.

First, for the first time ever, my room preferences were totally ignored. Requested a unit around the main (original) pool. Was told those units are no longer for the owners, and that owners are put around the Copa Loca pool. Mildly disappointed, I said that was fine as long as we were near the pool. Well, we weren't. We were over at the very last unit in the Cristobal building.

The rooms there are nice, but ours was a little off. The curtains were actually ripped up, it was a handicap room so all the counters were super low, which isn't ideal for a big chef like myself. Perhaps strangest of all, one of the bedrooms had an alarm clock and TV with a mind of their own. Additionally, the drawers and closet opened themselves. We chalked it up to a facetious "room ghost," but honestly it was a bit creepy. (Quick story: we stayed up late playing board games and had just decided to call it a night. One guest went back to the room in question to discover that the tv, which we had turned off earlier, and all the drawers and the closet had reopened themselves while we had been out on the patio). I'm sure there's a terrestrial explanation, but yeah...

Perhaps recognizing that something with the wiring was amiss, we were informed via a sign outside our door that on our last day the engineering and maintenance crew would need access to all our rooms. Not ideal for last day in town. To MGV's credit, I called to ask if they could delay since it was our last day and they were happy to accommodate.

Finally, the pool situation is now insane. MGV simply must put in another major pool area. From 11am until close at 11pm the pools are just chalked full of people. Worse still, many of the folks in the pool were loud, obnoxious and made no attempt to watch their children. Teenage girls could be heard everywhere having "drama," and we witnessed two near-cat fights.

Folks reading this may think this is rude or snobby, but I believe the poolside problems stem from the insanely cheap rate the rooms are now being offered at ($139/night for a 1B while we were there). As an owner you have a different perspective, and I really didn't enjoy our pool time this year owing to these concerns.

Still, on balance, it's a great place. I know if we had young children, we would feel differently about the squalor of the pool. But for a group of young middle-aged professionals, it was just too much at times.

Last time I stayed here this was a five-star property. This time it's a four-star.

Room Tip: Rooms around main pool always have been and always will be the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Grande Vista, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of Marriott's Grande Vista. We make every attempt to accommodate our guest requests. However, there are times when we cannot honor every request. We are disappointed to hear that your villa was not up to the Marriott quality you expect and deserve. Your comments have been forwarded to the correct manager so that corrective action can be taken to address these issues. Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just got back from staying here during the 4th of the July week, and I can say I was impressed with this resort in Orlando. I never actually stayed in Orlando before because I am so used to going to the beach. Please note this was a 2 bedroom room through interval international.

PROs:

1. This place is very close to all the theme parks, within 10-15 minutes of Disney world, and it is literally right next to sea world. So if you are your family are looking for a nice place to stay by the parks, but not inside them, this is the place.

2. Very family friendly with lots of pool side activities, especially at the main pool site, the kids will enjoy little games, karaoke, etc.. and for adults most pools have their own bars. Hot tubs at all pools.

3. The place is very clean, at no time did I feel it was dirty and there were always people coming around cleaning the grounds.

4. The staff is very very friendly, they will help you with anything you ask and were never rude during our stay. This is how staff should always be at all hotels.

5. The resort complex is large, which means there is a lot of walking if you are not put in the nearby main pools. The good thing is that you can call up for a shuttle service at any time during your stay, so if you don't want to walk they will take you to the pools and to your room. We were in building 99 and there was only the small pool nearby, so we walked/shuttled often.

6. The room was great, as it was through interval international, we were placed in what looked like a basically new room with a large kitchen and appliances. It was a 2 bedroom ( two rooms connected through a side door) and was more than enough space.

7. If you do not want to dine at the resort constantly, there are tons of places to eat nearby, so be sure to check out the area around the resort!

Cons :

1. I feel like the pools close to early especially if you are planning your trip around going to the parks. It feels nice to go swimming after spending an entire day at the park, and the pools close at 11pm. This probably might not be an issue for most people, but it was for me.

2. If you are staying through a timeshare, they will not clean your room, so be prepared to do some cleaning if you are bringing messy children. You can pay extra for them to clean your room, so be sure to call because I believe its a daily cost. Again, this might not be a con for everyone.

3. The place is large, so if you don't want to walk you have to call the shuttle for everything, especially if you are no where near the two main pools.

Those are truly the only cons I can think of, which for some might not even be cons. I was throughly impressed with this place. You cannot go wrong taking your family here, they should all have a great time!

P.S. If you have kids and don't feel like doing much one day, take them miniature golfing to pirates cove. It was really fun and you can play up to 36 holes. The kids love it. You can go out to eat for lunch or dinner there (tons of restaurants right next to this place) and then walk a short distance to go mini golfing!

For teens and adults, busch gardens is an hour away and totally worth the drive!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank imnotthere1121
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Tatiyana made our check in experience a very efficient and pleasant one. She was terrifically accommodating, and took great care to ensure that our villa matched as many of our criteria as possible. We had a lovely lock-off villa in building 88---one of the two most recently renovated buildings on the property. Overlooking both the golf-course and a lake, it was quiet, nicely upgraded, and well-furnished. We missed daily housekeeping one day (our own fault---as we didn't realize that if you're still in your room when they come to tidy up, you miss it for the day.) Housekeeping accommodated our request for towel service, however, as soon as we called. The rooms were impressively soundproofed---I only heard the pitter patter of little feet outside of our second-floor villa once or twice during our 5-day stay. Quite impressive, given the number of kids and teens on campus. The balconies off both bedrooms were quite nice, though you'll want a master suite if you'd prefer a screened in balcony with lighting, a ceiling fan, table and four chairs.

Two minor disappointments: We placed a call to the Spa on our 2nd to last day with hopes of scheduling a same-day appointment (I called in the morning for 2 afternoon spots). Surprisingly, no one ever called back---though I left our villa # and my personal cell on the Spa's voice mail. Secondly, the grout in both the walk-in shower and the 2nd bathroom tub needed a little attention---but I am admittedly a grout freak. What I was impressed by was how quickly the staff sent a maintenance engineer to attend to the matter.

We've already booked our next stay.

Room Tip: Be mindful of how close you want to be to the pool area where the activity is highest. We were very...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NSherardFreeman
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Our whole family stayed for four days in this hotel after a snow storm in New York. It was a nice little break from the very cold weather. They're located right next to Seaworld and very close to the other theme parks. We got the 2 bedroom with a huge living room and kitchen. It is very nicely decorated with high end furnitures. The kitchen have everything you need so most of the time we cooked our meals here instead of going to the nearby restaurants. The whole property is huge. We felt like we didn't need to go anywhere cause they have all kinds of activities here. They have 2 huge pools, golf course, tennis courts and beach volleyball area. The only thing is they have an early check out which is 10am, earlier than most hotels which we were not aware of. When I called the lobby to ask the check out time, she said it's 10am and if we are still there after 10:15, they will charge us for a full day.

• Stayed February 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just came back from another week at this resort (4th of July). Had both a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom reserved for the extended family. Only problem was they couldn't accommodate adjacent rooms so we had the same building but on two floors. The pools are outstanding (6?). Plenty for the kids to do with activities, leg paddle boats on the lake, ice cream parlor, outdoor pool table, tennis courts, golf, etc. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with full kitchens, fully equipped, washing and drying machines. It can handle anything you need whether it be slow and easy or hustle and bustle. Only 10 minutes from the Disney parking lots and right next to Sea World! Plenty of convenient shopping close by for groceries, drugstores, clothes, and restaurants if needed. You will have to drive to all however, within 1-2 miles of resort. The resort was sold out the week we were there and was still very controlled, relaxing and enjoyable. One of the best family resorts in the area by far!

Room Tip: Recommend to call a month in advance for any special requests. There are 5 buildings that are right...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family