“better than a normal hotel”

Marriott's Grande Vista
Ranked #57 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
BAHAMAS
“better than a normal hotel”
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Since becoming a father I have been dreading the obligatory Disney World visit but am pleased to report that the Grand Vista eased the pain somewhat by providing a quiet oasis away from the madness of the Parks. We took a one bedroom unit and our 2 small children shared the sofabed. The room was large and the kitchen (and washer dryer) was put to good use. The pools were OK and not too crowded even though we stayed during Easter. The complex is huge but very quiet. We did have a couple of minor issues with housekeeping but I assume they were very busy during Easter and they did respond well to our requests. As is so often the case in America the staff and service was great. I would certainly visit again.
We spent three days at Disney and one at SeaWorld and thought that they were both very expensive and of course packed. Our children loved every minute. The only advice I can give is plan your day, prioritise the rides that you would like to do and go early. We had some success at Magic Kingdom before midday, after which the lines were brutal. The organisation of the car park is very well done.
Finally my wife loved the Premium Outlets Mall at the South end of International Drive which (especially for Euro based travelers) offered great deals on designer gear.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank DavidBahamas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ohio
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Overall we had a great experience at the Grande Vista.

We traveled to Florida to visit SeaWorld with our 2 small children
ages 4 and 7 over spring break.
Our 2 bedroom villa was wonderful and in a great location. Our villa was tidy and well kept. The grounds were also well maintained.
The hotel is a 5 minute drive to SeaWorld. We had planned to use the Itrolley to get there but the resort is so huge it was a 15 minute walk from our room to the bus stop. No big deal for older kids and adults but for tired small children that is a long way to walk after a day at an amusement park. We used taxis, fares were about $8.
The pools were fabulous. Most of the pools ranged from 3ft to 5 ft, however there were 2 zero entry areas that my 4 year old could easily walk around and play in water waist deep. The pools do not have lifeguards or any staff at all. However, since most of the patrons were families (with parents) it was not a problem.
The food options, while a little pricey were good for families. We did not have a chance to try Nick's grill. The indoor play structure was a real hit with the kids. There were plenty of other activities provided by the resort, had we had the time.
Our one gripe was the slow service, whether we were calling a restaurant, the front desk, or the concierge, they did not always answer the phone. We would have to let it ring 10-20 times to get someone to answer. They only had two bellman to serve the entire (large) resort. Each time we needed a bellman we had to wait at least 30 minutes or more.
Would we stay there again. Perhaps...for the price we paid I would have expected much better service.

• Liked — Loved the large 2bdrm villa
  • Disliked — poor service
2 Thank ne_ohiofanily
Norfolk
Reviewed March 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in March. After reading a few of the reviews I was very apprehensive. Not to worry!! The room was fantastic!!! The room was spotless. There were plenty of towels in the two room villa we had. (Building 81) I looked hard and I could not find any bugs in the room. The washer and dryer was a plus. The cleaning service came in early and the room was complete by the time we returned from breakfast. The pool areas were sparkling! The staff was friendly and responsive to any need. Our family is returning this summer and we plan on staying at the Grande Vista. We were not in one of the newer units but we were right near everything and the room was still geat! Contact me if you have any questions!

• Liked — The space in the rooms
4 Thank briashla
Kent
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Just returned from 10 days at the resort - it was excellent. There is nothing bad to say about it! Everything is designed for you to have a wonderful time. I had a one room suite - with kitchen, maid service everyday. There is a tennis court, basketball court,jogging track and indoor fitness centre. You could wear yourself out if you wanted to, pools and grounds are immaculate! With so many suites you would think it would be packed but it never seemed that way! The market place has an excellent piza takeout - they where great! A shop selling groceries and other goodies. The Flado restaurant did an excellent breakfast, lunch and dinner! I dont play golf but the course looked interesting! 4 pools so lots of choice - children friendly or quiet for adults. Laid well back from International drive but on the I train route, there is a shuttle service (golf buggies) to run you from the gate back into the resort if you dont feel like walking.

I did get asked to go to a timeshare talk, but the guy I met was very nice and when I said I wasnt interested he didnt push and we shook hands and I left after 45 mins! It was v. tempted tho!

The staff where friendly and responded quickly to any queries, there is a desk for booking tickets to attractions - disney etc. I aksed for directions to Faldo restaurant and the guy walked me to it - as 'he didnt want me to get lost!'

If I ever go back to Orlando this is where I intend to stay! It is central to all the attractions but relaxing and quiet if you want to chill out and watch the geckos and turtles play!

• Liked — The professional approach to tourism
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank burtieb
Columbia, MD
Reviewed March 14, 2008

This hotel is superb. We switched our timeshare week to this property for 7 nights and we could not have been more pleased. Upon arrival the front desk loads you with information, goodies and there is an arcade, pool, store, ice-cream, pizza, play hut and a activity room with table tennis all in the main from building. This was a good place to hang out with the kids. When we arrived to our room we were pleased to see that the grounds were well kept and there was lush landscaping all around. I love the palm tress and plants in Orlando. We had a 2 bedroom unit that was simply fabulous. The room was spacious and was fully equipped with everything you would have in your home. There was a full kitchen with all full appliances that looked brand new. The granite countertops and pots and pans were a real plus. There was a washer and dryer and the bedrooms each had their own balcony. There was a very large, glass top dining room table and a separate family room. The master bedroom had a Jacuzzi and private bath. The room also had 3 TV's which made it easy for 5 of us to make it 8 days. We would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants all the luxuries of home on vacation.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank lovebirdsonthego
NYC
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Pros: The property is gorgeous. Checking in and out was a breeze. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. Beds were extremely comfortable; did not want to get up after a long day at Disney. Nice view overlooking the lake. The pools were excellent. You are just five minutes away from Seaworld, and a little farther (15 min drive) from the other parks.

Cons: Just a little spots, one of the corners in the room wasn't clean at all. When it rains, the water comes thru the bottom of the door from the outside and we would open the door to find a big puddle inside. Had to use a towel to block incoming rainwater. The Marketplace is too expensive but nothing but a drive to Walgreens to pick up the necessary items. Internet was down for two days during the week we spent there.

I would most likely come back to this property.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fireball50
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I joined my parents here for a couple of nights before heading over to a hotel at Disney. They have booked a 2 or 3 bedroom villa at the Grande Vista for the last two or three years, with various relatives joining them for their stay. They love the Grande Vista, and find it much nicer than several other villas they have tried in Orlando. The villa is perfect for them - the group is generally in their 70s and 80s, and they enjoy the ability to prepare breakfast or even lunch in the villa, taking full-day or half-day excursions, and having space to socialize in the evening. The villa itself is very nice, with the master bedroom opening onto a screened porch, and the second bedroom opening onto an open-air porch, and a spacious living room/kitchen/dining area. The villa overlooked a lake, which had a nice lighted fountain at night.

The beds were comfortable, and the bathrooms reasonably large. My mother loved being able to leave the breakfast dishes in the sink for the maid to clean up. The resort is huge and attractive, with a children's pool that looked fun for kids, but the pool area was rather noisy (even in the morning on a cloudy day), and the pool loungers were crammed in very closely together. Because the resort is a gated community that is set back quite a way from the main roadways, they feel safer here than they did at other villas they've tried.

The villa works very well for their type of trip, where they stay for several weeks with the main goal of simply being in warm and sunny Florida. It does not work as well for a shorter trip focused on DisneyWorld. We went to Epcot one day, and while we were tired out by mid-afternoon, it was simply impractical to return to the hotel for a break before dinner. I usually stay at the Swan or Dolphin on Disney property, where I can easily take a break in the afternoon, and head back to dinner and the parks refreshed and ready for a great night. We had to just stay in the park all day, and wound up heading for dinner at the California Grill utterly exhausted, and too tired to stick around for the fireworks. You do miss out on the Disney experience here - while they returned to the villa after dinner the following night, to sit on the porch and watch the fountain or sit inside and watch TV, I returned to the Dolphin and was able to take a lovely walk around the lake, watch some of the street entertainers at the Boardwalk, watch the Illuminations fireworks from my balcony, listen to the piano player in the lobby, and take in some great views of Disney at night -even without going into a park.

If you really want an off-site villa, the Grand Vista is definitely nice, and can have advantages for a lengthy vacation. However, you do give up a lot by staying away from Disney.

Stayed February 2008, traveled with family