“Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite!!”

Ramada Orlando Downtown
Ranked #311 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Beware of this hotel! My boyfriend and I stayed there 3 nights, November 7th-10th, to work at the EDC. The lobby was outdated and it looked more like an airport terminal, but check-in was a breeze thanks to Robin. When we arrived to our room #305, we noticed that the sheets had not been changed since the last guests occupied the room- there was hair and stains on the bottom sheet. Housekeeping arrived promptly after we called housekeeping but when they arrived, they asked us "which one", to which we replied "ALL of them". While the housekeeping attendant was in the room, we noticed that there was a wasp in the room. The housekeeping attendant did not seem surprised and did not offer his help, so my boyfriend used a bathroom towel to kill it. We took advantage of the BOGO 1/2 off drink coupon we received at check-in and visited the unimpressive hotel bar. The bartender, Stephanie, was friendly and gave us a wonderful suggestion for a local bar called the Bloodhound Brew. Later, when we went to get ice from the machine, we found an empty beer bottle in the ice. (It was still there on Sunday.)

On Friday morning, we decided to have the hotel's breakfast buffet. The staff was very friendly. For $7 per person, they offered disappointingly overcooked eggs that had turned grey, and cold potato cubes and sausage links, in addition to cereal and milk, toast, orange juice, and coffee. They did, however, offer a DIY waffle station that was better than I expected, but we could not to eat there again.

After 12 hours of grueling work, we return to our room Friday night to discover that housekeeping had changed our sheets again, but they did not replace our dirty towels for fresh ones- there was only 1 towel left. When we called housekeeping there was no answer and we had to leave a voicemail. When we called the front desk to ask for fresh towels, the staff member ask us to come down to the front desk to get towels. There seemed to be only 1 staff member working that night.

Then, on Saturday night, a guest at the hotel decided that it would be funny to pull the fire alarm. There was mayhem and no one who worked at the hotel seemed to know what was going on. There was no fire exit map posted anywhere in the room so we had no idea where to go.

In addition to all my complaints with this hotel, the worst part is that I got bitten by bed bugs on my back and ankles!! All in all, I think this hotel is in a great location and it has a lot of potential but it needs a complete overhaul, starting with fumigating every room!! I was very disappointed and I doubt that I will ever stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank larilikesstars
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. I will pass your kind words along to my staff regarding a good job done. I would like to take the time to address your concerns. The lobby was just remolded. Our hotel bar has a extensive list of liquors, wines sprites and beer to offer but it is a hotel bar. I am truly sorry that you had the issue with the wasp I have personally contacted the pest control company and ensure that the room was fumigated. They also inspected the room for what you calmed to be as bed bugs and found no such issue. The issue with the fire alarm was out of our control as it was a busy weekend of people coming to the event you attended. The safety and comfort of each and every guest we host is of up most importance to my self , staff and general manager. I am truly sorry that your stay was less then a success and hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you travel to Orlando.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Never again, dirty towels and room. Non working appliances, and even the lights didn't work. Even when they moved us to another room after we complained. House keeping only made bed never cleaned or replaced towels and I was there for 3 nights. I could keep going with the list of crap wrong with this hotel. Beware if you choose to stay here.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mainor C
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that your stay did not go as planned regarding the first room you have been checked into. As far as your comments regarding only one bed being made I have worked with the head housekeeper to ensure that this issue has been corrected.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

At first arrival the hotel looks beautiful. The lobby is gorgeous. I paid for this through travelocity.com. It was suppose to be $35 the night with a minimum 2 night stay. When I went to check in at 3:00 AM because we had gone to Halloween Horror Nights, they tell us that there is a $5 per night fee. Mind you this does not include their very epensive breakfast. $7 I believe.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiamiPrincess
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. Feedback such as yours helps us improve our operations on a daily basis. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed here a few times like the others have said beautiful lobby restaurant service was great everyone very nice friendly outgoing but once you go to the hallway things change I think they are still working on some changes no coffeemaker you do get an iron and board there's a safe in the room not alot of channels to choose from on the TV wifi sucked in the room didn't try anywhere else in the hotel pool area real nice I have been there on a few occasions and everyone I go it gets better for the price I couldn't best it location as well close to everything but way less traffic than staying on international Dr area all in all I have no major complaints on the hotel I will go back in ths futur

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank mikasgrammy

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. The management and staff takes great pride in the value of service and accommodations that we provide each and every guest we host on a daily basis. Thank you for your loyal business and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the outside, the hotel looks okay. I had a reservation for two nights and was actually thinking of adding a third when I got to check-in desk. I'm glad I didn't. I now wish I would have turned right around and canceled. As I was going to my room, I knew I made a mistake. I'm sure this hotel was great 30 years ago. Its now in need of a serious renovation inside. No telling just how many species of mold thrive inside this place. It was raining outside as I was checking out. I had to dodge the streams of water coming from the ceiling as I was leaving. Avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank oxjonezy
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay due to a massive leek in the roof. This leek was totally out of our control. We since have contacted a roofing company and they are in the process of fixing the roof. Second we have hired extra housekeeping staff to get out the mold caused by the leak in the roof. Never the less I am truly sorry that this happened during your stay and hope that you can give us a second chance the next time you are in Orlando to show you that we are working hard to not only meet but exceed each and every guest expectations that we host on a daily basis.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed here (for 3 hours) as part of a Cruise package. The bathroom was dirty, the floors not vacuumed and I woke up after only an hour to find bed bugs had been biting my arms and legs. I left immediately and left my contact info with the manager. I also called the next day and the next and left messages for him to contact me but he never did.
As others have written, I was also put here as part of a "time share scam" to show you what terrible conditions you can stay in if you don't buy the timeshare from RCI/Vacation villiage. They were going to send us on the cruise but I was on anti-biotics and bendryl for the remainder of the week due to the reaction from the bed bug bites. I was too afraid of being stuck on a boat in equally nasty conditions DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Andrea D
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that you had the issues that you did during your stay. Bed bugs are common in the lodging industry especially in a tourist destination such as Orlando where many people come from around world to visit. We have a contract with a national pest control company that services the property. The room you stayed in has been treated and the beds have been discarded and replaced. The second issues that you described is with the cruse company. As I do understand your issues we are simply just a woleseller to them and have no control on how or what they do in business. I have contacted accounting and they will be mailing you a reimbursement check for your costs. I never want what happened to you to happen to any of my valued guests and will meet with department managers to change policy and procedure to ensure that safeguards are in place to ensure guest safety and concerns are met before they leave the property.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well what can I say....when you walk in to the reception area it is absolutely breath taking, very nice setting, furniture, employees were very kind and cheerful. But when you walk in to the rooms OMG, the furniture was falling apart, bathroom walls filled with mildew, bed was pretty comfortable. Had NO cord on the phone so NO service, WiFi did not work. Discouraged had NO cofffe maker in room. Terrible smell in the hallways, like someone was smoking pot! Purchased breakfast in the dinning "buffet" BUT they had ran out of ALL and had to wait over 15 minutes!

I would say that for overall it was OK for the price paid but not sure if I would stay here again!

Room Tip: If you can get a better hotel....GO FOR IT!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carmen R

Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. I will speak with the food and beverage team to see what happened during breakfast while you were with us. I am sorry that the room you were in did not fit the standard of what you expected and I ensure that this will be fixed. I will work with the night staff to ensure that there is more of a presence to ensure that any criminal activity will be stopped in a swift manor. Once again thank you for your business and feedback and hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in Orlando to show you that we are working hard to meet and exceed each and every guest expectations that we host on a daily basis.

John Cummings

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ramada Kissimmee Downtown Hotel
Econo Lodge International
Econo Lodge International
#230 of 340 in Orlando

Been to Ramada Orlando Downtown? Share your experiences!