“Never again!”

Ranked #310 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
New Port Richey, Florida
“Never again!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was on a last minute business trip from West Florida to the Winter Park area but could not locate a hotel, so drove back down I-4 and was relieved to find the Ramada Grand Hotel. After climbing the stairs at the front entrance, I was immediately impressed by the huge lobby and downstairs dining area. Check-in seemed to take ages but the girl was very pleasant (sorry, I did not get her name). I was surprised to be told that there was a $5 'resort fee' which I had no intention of utilizing.

When she gave me my room key for # 219, she told me it was towards the rear and to take my car round there, where I would have less to walk. I could not find # 219 and after walking along a corridor, I met an employee and we ended up back at the front desk. He asked a young manager where # 219 was, as the receptionist was busy with another guest and he directed me in the opposite direction, right across the beautifully tiled lobby to a corridor which was screened off from view. BTW, the receptionist overheard the manager and said she thought my room was at the rear. Not a big deal but it seemed rather strange.

As I turned into the corridor, it became rather obvious why it was not visible from the lobby - it was rather dingy looking and the carpet was badly stained in many places. I found my room and just dumped my stuff and headed out to look for a buffet restaurant.

When I returned, I started to notice that the room was not in the best of condition. Every metal fitting, including the bedside wall lamps were all rusty (only one of those was working). The carpet obviously had not been vacuumed. The tiled shower wall was filthy with black and pink mold and was so revolting that I decided not to take a shower in the morning. The tub stopper was of the type which normally would be lifted to allow water to drain and pushed down to seal. This one was loose as there was nothing for it to be fixed to and was just lying in the tub. Loose paint was flaking on the bathroom ceiling, possibly because the extractor fan did not work. I took plenty of pictures of these conditions and hopefully will be able to post them after I complete my written review.

One rather trivial thing I noticed in the bathroom was that although soap, shampoo and conditioner had been supplied, they were all of different unheard-of brands, made in China and none of them mentioned Ramada. It looked like they had either used some free samples or had bought them at the local dollar store. Not what you would expect in a well known hotel chain. Oh, and only one bar of soap - the small one for the vanity unit but no larger one for the shower/tub. There was one wash cloth, one hand towel and what appeared to be two large bath towels but no floor mat, so maybe one of the towels was to be used for that. By this time, that did not matter as I had already decided against using the shower.

I decided to leave a note about these shortcomings for the housekeeping staff and that's when I discovered that the room only had furniture (plus an ice bucket and two paper cups). I could not believe it! No pen or notepad! No phone book! No hotel 'welcome' folder! No TV guide! No room service info! No pizza or food order info, etc! No internet guide regarding the hotel network! Not even a Gideon Bible! I went through every drawer and found them all empty and there was nothing lying around on any of the nightstands or dresser. The only printed items were the safety notice on the door and the aforementioned soap and hair products. Also, I realized that there was no coffee maker nor were there any of the usual sealed plastic cups that are normally placed in the bathroom.

I then tried using my laptop and although I connected to the hotel network easily, I could not get on the internet. There was no popup or anything to explain how to do so (I have had no problem in using many other hotel networks). So I went back to the front desk and the girl said she might have to reset something to get it to work. While there, I told her about most of the complaints I had about the room and she offered to try and find a pen and some paper. I had to explain that I already had my own pen - it was just the principle that none of the usual items had been provided. I thought I was hearing things when she again said she would try and find me a pen, so I had to explain yet again that I didn't actually need one!

She also said that they didn't provide coffee makers as they had the restaurant where coffee could be obtained - no doubt for a price. Breakfast was available for $6.99 (I think she said) and it was buffet-style. Anyway, whatever the girl did seemed to work okay and I was able to get online without any problem.

By now, someone will be asking why I didn't insist on another room but the reason was that I needed to get to bed ASAP as I was getting up at 5.30am the following morning. Plus, I had no reason to expect that other rooms would be any better. BTW, when I checked out the following morning at 6.15am, there was no sign of any activity in the restaurant so no breakfast! (I didn't feel like giving them any more money anyway).

The only positive note about my review is that the bed was very comfortable and I managed to sleep fairly well but even though my trip was supposed to last three days, I had no intention of staying another night at the Orlando Grand Hotel/Ramada Grand Orlando/Ramada Orlando Downtown or whatever they want to call it. I've been using hotel & motel rooms in Florida since 1993 and this was the worst experience I've had so far.

Room Tip: First, find a decent hotel. Second, allow yourself plenty of time before you want to go to bed to c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that you had such a bad experience during your stay. I will look into each and every issue you described and ensure that will be corrected. Never the less. I would like to make things right. Please feel free to contact me directly.

John Cummings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I came for a funeral with my family members and the only thing that would ever make me come back to that nasty hotel is the very professional spoken Auditor Rondey very smart young man very kind and very professional, if Ramada...! the Ramada that I know that do not charge a dumb $5 resort fee for wifi that is always included with your stay, or for parking that is not secured outside,.The wifi never worked and i was only there no longer than an hour my daughters room had fecal matter in the hall room was poor and nasty upon my check-in. Then there was the front desk agent Shy who has the most horrible attitude very impatient and does not look good for the brand, Wyndham needs to shut that place down and start over with the young man that stopped my children from assaulting Shy by being a representative for them.

Shy had the worst customer service ever she checked us into a nasty room. not clean at all, the room was occupied clearly. she argued with my children like she wasnt an employee. she refused to give us a refund and would not stop talking when we only wanted to speak to Rondey. We got the refund an hour later as we checked out.

I can say the only reason why we didnt get arrested and where able to leave is becase Rondey kept it professional and he stayed that way, we where yelling and screaming cursing dang near ready to fight and he let us know that if we couldnt keep our cool as much as he would like to refund us our money we would be out of luck because he would have us trespassed for noise because he had guests outside of us that also needed rest. So because he was able to keep all of us at bay and our children/babies at 2oclock in the morning the only good thing about that hotel at is him and his attidude i came at night so it was him he was the body of that wyndham brand i would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel ever, but if you want someone to talk to with a calm mature professional voice unlike shy I say drop by to say hi and ask for directions to a nearest hotel because he will provide you with good service even if your pissed off with the conditions of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. First I was under the impression that your issues was with your rate as you did not want to pay fair market value for the rooms you held. Second you were offered a second room but declined you wanted to occupy the room and not pay for it or squat in the room. Third is that the bird fecal matter is on a exterior hallway and was in the process of being cleaned up by our houseman as you were making a complaint in the lobby. The fact is that other guests had contacted law enforcement due to the deplorable behavior in our lobby as your guests and yourself were making threats to the staff. All staff is trained to treat each and every guest that we host with the up-most respect. With all due respect you and your guests when into the rooms made messes then wanted them for free. Thank you for taking the time to write a review as I took the time to respond based on the facts from the front desk video camera.

John Cummings

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2013

So in town for business with two other colleagues and we stayed at this Ramada. The name of "Ramada" alone gave me the impression that this was going to be a good hotel, boy was I wrong. Got into the room and it was poorly kept, the phone did not work and was never fixed even after being reported. We had no towels and had to go to the front desk several times to have some dropped by the room for us. When we went to our business meetings and returned to our room, we came back to find that our room was never touched as far as being cleaned. The water took for ever to get hot in the shower and the bathroom was filthy when we first checked in.

When checking out and bringing our grievances to the manager, which took forever for him to finally see us, he acted like it wasn't his problem and could only return the so called $5 "resort fee" that we had to pay on top of our booking fee through Expedia. Being a manager myself with a company that contracts for the military, I can really say this guy that said he was a manager did not know what he was doing. He was rude and acted like he didn't care about what was going on. which really reflected poorly on this hotel on top of all the other problems. I'll let Expedia know so that other people do not have to go through the same ordeal that we did.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that your stay did not go as planed. Since your stay we have changed the staffing agency that proved our housekeeping services. Furthermore we have ordered extra towels and linen for the hotel to ensure that there is never a shortage. Since you booked threw a third party website such as Expedia the front desk staff was limited on how they could compensate you for your issues as you did not pay the hotel directly. Never the less I am truly sorry that your stay did not go as planed and hope that you can give us a second chance to show you that we are working hard to ensure that we not only meet but exceed each and every guests explanations that we host on a daily basis. If you have any other questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed last month and we were not impressed with the place. The sheets had stains on them and the room had not been cleaned up to par. The only person that I can say that we had a great experience with as far as staff, was the front desk agent Robin. She always greeted us and was always smiling every time we saw her and was genuinely concerned with our issues with the room and helped us out tremendously. Thank you again Robin for providing amazing hospitality. You rock!

• Stayed September 2013
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. Management has made drastic changes to the housekeeping staff and policy and procedure to ensure that the issues that you described will and have been corrected. Thank you for your business and I hope that you can give us a second chance next time you travel to Orlando.

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2013

So I booked through Hotels.com, and paid $33, which was too much after learning everything I have about this hotel. We booked for Sunday September 22, to check out on Monday September 23. We got to the hotel at 1pm, asking if there was any way we could check in early, we had just done a 5k, and just wanted to relax. We were rudely cut off mid-sentence by Robin at the front desk saying they were full last night, no check ins until 3pm. Okay, fine. I understand. So we sat out front on a bench for about half an hour, watching Robin take a smoke break in her car and come back. So I went back up front and asked if there was maybe a bar or restaurant we could sit at (and make you guys some money) before we checked in. I was, again, rudely told that the bar isn't open. So I asked if we could sit by the pool. Robin said "That's fine.".

We found our own way to the pool, and laid in two chairs for a while. When I sat up, I realized there was white gum stuck on the white chair, which had ruined my black shirt. Way to keep the pool area clean.

We stayed at the pool until 2:50pm, then walking back up to the lobby. Robin again instructed us that rooms would be ready at 3pm and we could have a seat and she would let us know when rooms were ready. Five minutes later, a spanish family staying in two rooms that had also booked through an outside company came up to the desk, and were given attention by Robin and a young gentleman who wasn't wearing a name tag. It took BOTH computers and BOTH employees to figure out their rooms, as well as 15 minutes of their time. There was at this point a line of people that got checked into their rooms, and still nothing had been said to us, so I decided to get in line. The man in front of me had a chinese take out menu and wanted Robin to order food for him to be delivered to the hotel. After he left, Robin proceeded to call in his delivery order while I stood waiting in front of the desk. She made fun of the guy before me on the phone to the chinese restaurant saying he was "dumb because he didn't even put what kind of soda he wanted" on his order. Rude, and unprofessional to make fun of a guest in front of another guest. When Robin finally acknowledged me, she asked for the last name the room was under. I had to spell it three times for her, as she wasn't listening any time that I spelled it. She then told me I wasn't in the computer so I had to call hotels.com and get them to fax over the paper. I told her I had my confirmation number from them and asked if she could call, and she said no I had to call. I asked what it would do, as they would just tell me that I had paid, and give me my confirmation number. She said NO, that I had to call. Rudely. I gave a second last name on the room, and that came up in the computer, so I was able to continue checking in.

Our room was fine. We were (I'm sure on purpose) put in a room at the top floor, all the way at the end, facing i-4. You can guess that we didn't need an alarm clock with morning traffic. There was long black hairs in our bathtub when we got to the room, which was kind of a turn off. Everything else was relatively clean, although there was visible water damage on the ceiling above our bed. Everything in the room was unplugged. The clock wasn't plugged in because if it was, there was no space for the fan to be plugged in. We chose to unplug the fan so we could have a clock. Also the TV was unplugged and the cord placed UNDER the mini-fridge, so we had a fun time getting that all sorted and plugged in. Otherwise, no issues with the facility.

Monday morning we decided to get the "breakfast buffet" at around 10:15 (open until 11). $7 seemed a little pricey for what we got. There was grey scrambled eggs and two sausage links, orange juice with melted ice, some cereal, a waffle iron, and a toaster. I asked the waitress if there would be more food coming out. The chef brought out fresh eggs, which he poured on top of the old eggs, mixed up right in front of me, and walked into the back. Food Safety no-no number one, never marry foods like that. He did bring out fresh sausage that was good. Also, there was only very small (maybe 6oz) paper cups available for drinks. I don't really want to have to get up seven times during breakfast to fill my water cup. Not impressed.

Also, both restrooms upstairs and downstairs in the lobby were disgusting. No toiletpaper, clogged toilets, no papertowels, no soap, unflushed toilets, broken toilets, gross. This was three separate times trying to use those bathrooms over two days. Not an isolated incident.

We will absolutely never recommend this hotel to our worst enemies. It was a truly miserable experience. You can also single-handedly thank Robin for losing us as customers to any Ramada, ever. We travel frequently, and also stay in Orlando often, and this will not be another stop on our travels. Robin was one of the most awful service industry workers I've ever encountered. I'm sorry she's part of your staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Taylor J
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience with our front desk staff. The comments and reviews were brought up in our last staff meeting and appropriate changes to the schedule and staff have been made to insure that this type of situation does happen again. Never the less I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience and would like to make this right. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It was not bad for the price we paid. We stayed here while visiting Orlando. The service was ok not that of good class, the front desk people were helpful. We liked it because we did not have no choice and had to stick within the budget.

Room Tip: The first thing that i ask in the front desk was do you have a/c working..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MuranoG
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. Management and staff takes great pride in the value of service and accommodations that we provide to each and every guest that we host on a daily basis. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself during your stay and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

John
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 9 days and really enjoyed. It is true that I spent most of my days on the parks but everytime I needed any assistence or advices for them they were very helpfull. I was really surprised with everything the hotel offered like swimming pool, gym, nice looby, nice rooms, etc. The breakfast was not included but they have a restaurant where you can have it inside the hotel.
Sometimes the internet didnt work propely.
I would come back for the three hundred and something I payed for 9 days.

• Stayed September 2013
CummingsJohn, Director of Sales at Ramada Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your stay with us. We are glad to hear that your stay was a success. Your issues with the internet are being addressed with our provider and should be fixed in the near future. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you during your next stay in Orlando.