“A fine deal for the price”

Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #166 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 1, 2011

For a budget hotel, this is a fine deal. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable, and the price included breakfast. No frills but a great value. Two niceties we appreciated: There was free coffee and tea available in the lobby when we got back in the evening; just outside the pool area there is deck where you can look out to a small pond where we saw fish, several large turtles and a few moorhens. The wildlife was apparently used to getting free handouts because they all swam over to us while we watched them from the dock!

One suggestion: A few healthier options in the breakfast, such as fresh fruit, more than just apples, would be nice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ejreese
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

994 - 1,000 of 1,163 reviews

Reviewed February 24, 2011

For the rate we paid per night, the hotel overall exceeded our expectations. There were no disappointments. The staff whom we came in contact with was really professional and catered to our every need. The lobby area was cleaned, the breakfast was more that we had expected and very tasty, and parking, no problem at all. Kudos to the Management and staff of Wingate Universal, Orlando Florida. Will definitely stay again on my next visit to Orlando. PS WALMART IS ONLY 3 miles away.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank the1vs2
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The staff was great the young man and woman at the desk made sure we had everything we needed and were very helpful with every question..The bed was comfy..the toliet needed repair kit had to hold handle down and closet door missing handle.The breakfast was great could have used more fruit but it was great for free:)Also was suprised the had such old tvs with flat screens so cheap.Also we stayed in room 310 and could hear the elevator motor..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tinamk23
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My stay at the Wingate by Wyndham at Orlando, Universal Studios was absolutely aweful. After many hours of driving, we were extremely exhausted and eager to get into our hotel room. We had to wait a good five to ten minutes before anyone came to the desk to even so much as greet us and check us in. When the employee finally did come he was very unwelcoming and unfriendly. I specifically told him that the card used to reserve the hotel was not the card I wanted to pay for the room and gave him the new card to charge and take care of the bill. When we finally got up to the room, after about half and hour, my boyfriend and I were unpacking our belongings when we noticed out of the corner of our eye a COCKROACH was crawling across the wall near the bed. As exhausted as we were, we went back downstairs and politely told the same employee who had checked us in about what had just happened and that we would like a different room. He gave us a new room but did not apologize even once and even made us feel like we were bothering him. The next morning, I checked my checking account balance and noticed that there was a hold of the amount of the room on my account - the same card I specifically told the employee NOT to charge. My boyfriend checked his account as well and noticed that there was a hold for the same amount on his card as well. Between both of us, we had two different holds on our accounts of over $500 together. We went back down to the front desk to resolve this issue, this time slightly agitated. The girl we spoke to was extremely rude and unhelpful. I told her how unnecessary I felt it was to hold TWO different credit cards for the same amount. Furthermore, after buying Universal tickets and Horror Nights tickets, gas and other purchases, this hold put my account into overdraft. I informed the employee of all this and she could not have acted less concerned and told me she could do nothing for me. I cannot explain how angry I was over this and feel it was absolutely unnecessary to do this. Finally, on the day of checkout, after everything, I requested to do a late checkout and was told the most they could allow was only 30 minutes extra, which was no help to me at all. I am extremely angry and will never be staying at a Wingate or any other Wyndham owned hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kristen21ox
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Hello,
I understand that you recently encountered several issues here at the Wingate by Wyndham. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
I would like to address the issues and inconveniences that you experienced. I spoke to my night auditor and had written him up for not being professional and courteous at the time of check-in. He was working in the back office starting the night audit process for the hotel. We have a camera overlooking the front desk and he should have been keeping an eye on it for your check-in. In regards to the room with the pest, we do have quarterly pest control service company that comes and sprays every room and public area here at the hotel. We do every part to make sure that no pest are in the hotel, yet they can still come into the hotel either on other guest or luggage.
For the credit hold on the card, I apologize but it is something we do on sold out nights. This way it ensures us that your reservation is guaranteed. I understand you came and utilized another card for payment, and we took authorization on that card for your 2 night stay. I am surprised why my guest service agent did not call your bank and asked for the hold to be dropped the next morning. Certain banks either require a verbal release or a letter head with info to be faxed to them. I will reprimand my agent for not following through on this.
The last problem was that with the request for the late checkout. We do our best to fulfill every request, yet our hotel was sold out again the evening of your departure. Unfortunately we cannot grant a late checkout due to our check-in time of 3pm. Our housekeepers must clean the rooms before that time. Again I am truly sorry we could not fulfill this request.
In sight of these issues, I am sorry that we did not make your stay as fun as it could have been. We did make several mistakes and I apologize we did not rectify immediately at that moment.
Please let me know when you are in Orlando again so I may make a reservation personally for you.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

Excellent Hotel,Staff very helpful and Friendly.Room Cleanliness second to none.Quiet area @end Of Greenline IDrive Trolley Route.Complimentary Breakfast Provided was Good.Lake in grounds with Turtles.Fish,Wild Duck.Sqirells and an Alligator (not seen)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uxb46
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The first night we stayed we were awoken by 4 men yelling at each other at 4AM right outside our window. I called the front desk and it took at least 20 minutes before the yelling stopped. This also occurred the next 2 nights. When I asked the front desk about it they said the people were staying at the Quality Inn next door. We also found a flyer in our room for a pizza delivery place that was slid under the door. When I asked the front desk about it they said to not use it - the police had to come before. Later I saw a sign at the front desk saying that they were a scam and if you gave them your credit card number they would steal your identity. If they knew this problem existed why didn't they have some kind of security to make sure people weren't sliding things under people's doors? Needless to say, I did not feel safe at this hotel. They could have done more about the people yelling outside my window 3 nights in a row and have some kind of security on who enters the building. Also, they claim the pool is next to a 'lake' - it really is a swamp. The breakfast was pretty bad too. The price was good for the size of the room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2010

In regards to the issues you experienced, we take certain precautions here at the hotel for security. You are correct; we do not have a security guard, as our property is located in a well maintained area across from Universal. We have been evaluated by Orange County Police as going above and beyond safety/security measures. Our hotel doors lock after 10 pm and we have 16 cameras located in / around the property. We also have other certain security procedures. If we have troubled guest at the property we either ask them to leave or call the police.
The pizza delivery companies that leave flyers under the doors are a city wide issue. I personally know other properties that have security guards and have the same problem. We are currently working with local law enforcement to stop the pizza flyers. I place a precaution sign at the desk for you to be aware of the problem and not be taken advantage of.
We do not have a swamp next to our hotel, as it is defined as a small lake. The City of Orlando mandates us to help them take care of the vegetation around the lake. Whatever grows inside is taken care of by the city.
We are limited service hotel and great pricing for what we offer. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

My family was switched at the last moment to this hotel by 1800 Hotels who had a booking problem with our original selection. This hotel was supposed to be comparable to our original choice. We were very satisfied with the room size, two extremely comfortable queen size beds, and free wifi. Unfortunately, the good was overshawdowed by poor customer service -- by the owners. We ate the free breakfast the first two mornings. The breakfast was very limited, but was better than nothing. Don't come here for the free breakfast -- you'll be disappointed. On the third day of our stay, we headed to IHOP (right next door) for a wonderful experience. The service there was superb -- the best service and food I have ever had at any IHOP before. On the 4th day, we had to prepare for a special event for our daughter and could not get downstairs for breakfast. It was almost time for the breakfast area to close at 10:00, so I asked my husband if he could go downstairs and get me and our daughter a muffin, roll, and coffee. As he was heading back to our room with a single plate with breakfast items and coffee, he was stopped by the owner who told him that the items must be eaten in the dining area. He left them with her and we never ate there again. I immediately called downstairs and requested to speak to the owner. She did not come to the phone and never returned my call. She told her front desk staff to point out to me the sign in the area that said food needed to be eaten in the area. I pointed out that I had seen that sign, but the way it was worded I thought it meant to only consume breakfast items from the buffet, not from items put out for business meetings. The sign was poorly worded. Even still, the owner should have called and discussed since I was upset and my husband was very embarrassed. One last thing -- the pool was small and FILTHY. I would not want anyone swimming in it. Location was excellent -- right outside the Universal resort and very near restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2010

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. I am extremely sorry that the owners provided poor customer service to you. It is not their intention to be rude or provide poor customer service. We do try to enforce the rule of keeping breakfast items here in the breakfast area only. There are several reasons, but the main reason is we do not food being left in any rooms or public areas. This gives an open invitation to pest to come into the hotel. I am here on a daily basis and I apologize as I was not told of this situation. I would have immediately spoken to you and resolved the issue. As for the sign it clearly states the following word for word “Please consume all breakfast items in the breakfast area only.” This sign is clearly shown at the breakfast bar. Our pool is according to the Wingate by Wyndham’s brand standards, which we have surpassed. The pool is a 30,000 gallon pool and you can clearly see the size of it on the pictures page. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.