“Owners Don't Understand Good Customer Service”

Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #175 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Owners Don't Understand Good Customer Service”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My family was switched at the last moment to this hotel by 1800 Hotels who had a booking problem with our original selection. This hotel was supposed to be comparable to our original choice. We were very satisfied with the room size, two extremely comfortable queen size beds, and free wifi. Unfortunately, the good was overshawdowed by poor customer service -- by the owners. We ate the free breakfast the first two mornings. The breakfast was very limited, but was better than nothing. Don't come here for the free breakfast -- you'll be disappointed. On the third day of our stay, we headed to IHOP (right next door) for a wonderful experience. The service there was superb -- the best service and food I have ever had at any IHOP before. On the 4th day, we had to prepare for a special event for our daughter and could not get downstairs for breakfast. It was almost time for the breakfast area to close at 10:00, so I asked my husband if he could go downstairs and get me and our daughter a muffin, roll, and coffee. As he was heading back to our room with a single plate with breakfast items and coffee, he was stopped by the owner who told him that the items must be eaten in the dining area. He left them with her and we never ate there again. I immediately called downstairs and requested to speak to the owner. She did not come to the phone and never returned my call. She told her front desk staff to point out to me the sign in the area that said food needed to be eaten in the area. I pointed out that I had seen that sign, but the way it was worded I thought it meant to only consume breakfast items from the buffet, not from items put out for business meetings. The sign was poorly worded. Even still, the owner should have called and discussed since I was upset and my husband was very embarrassed. One last thing -- the pool was small and FILTHY. I would not want anyone swimming in it. Location was excellent -- right outside the Universal resort and very near restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. I am extremely sorry that the owners provided poor customer service to you. It is not their intention to be rude or provide poor customer service. We do try to enforce the rule of keeping breakfast items here in the breakfast area only. There are several reasons, but the main reason is we do not food being left in any rooms or public areas. This gives an open invitation to pest to come into the hotel. I am here on a daily basis and I apologize as I was not told of this situation. I would have immediately spoken to you and resolved the issue. As for the sign it clearly states the following word for word “Please consume all breakfast items in the breakfast area only.” This sign is clearly shown at the breakfast bar. Our pool is according to the Wingate by Wyndham’s brand standards, which we have surpassed. The pool is a 30,000 gallon pool and you can clearly see the size of it on the pictures page. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dulles, VA
Reviewed May 22, 2010

good hotel for the price paid for the hotel + car package; staff were friendly and prompt in responding to requests; breakfast was okay but could have been better with more choices; nice hot coffee available round the clock; right across universal and easy access to international drive, sea world etc. housekeeping could do a better job in cleaning the room and bath.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2010

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon in Orlando. We initially booked a private house through VRBO, but when we arrived, we found it to be filthy, bug-infested, and in a horrible neighborhood. He insisted that we couldn't spend our honeymoon in such an awful place, so we called this Wingate hotel to see if they had any immediate availability. We always stay in Wyndham hotels (usually Wingates) when we travel, because they are always so nice, so we trusted that this would be a good backup plan for our honeymoon. Turns out, this Wingate isn't quite as nice as some of the others we've stayed in. The cleaning staff usually rolled in between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m.--not so helpful when you wanted clean towels for that morning's shower! And the pool was filthy. Probably the dirtiest pool I've ever seen, save for the one in the house we had previously rented! We checked every morning to see if the clumps of dirt at the bottom had been removed--they never were. But the breakfast buffet was complimentary, and it was better than most. Here, we had waffles, sausage, and scrambled eggs, in addition to the usual fruit, cereal, and pastries. And the rooms themselves were very clean. We upgraded to their highest-tiered suite, because it was our honeymoon. It was enormous and very comfortable. We were very satisfied!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 6, 2010

Great location for Universal Theme parks and not a bad drive for Disney. Located near several malls and outlet malls. Lots of amenities within walking and driving distance. Only complaint was the walls are VERY thin and you can hear the people in the room next door. Free WiFi was great and room was nice and spacious.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
columbus, ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2010

stayed here with my husband after a business meeting where the hotel we were staying at was $380/night. just needed one more night stay and didn't want to pay a ton. ended up finding this hotel for $80/night. met all our expectations, and then some. our room was a a nice size with a king bed and pull out sofa. included refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and free wifi. our $380/night room had none of the above. this was also a great location...would consider coming back as a family if we ever needed to stay for visits to disney/universal studios.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Tunica
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Room was clean and comfortable, was in a good location. Had trouble checking in, was a mix up with reservation but other ok stay.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The hotel itself looks decent, but most of the workers (especially Lukas) are pretty rude and are unwilling to help. When we just checked into our hotel, we asked for and extra blanket and sheets, and without checking he said that they don't have any. But then one of the house keepers was passing by and he asked him if there were any and then housekeeper said "ofcourse"... The next day we asked him directions of a pizza place nearby and he had no maps to show us and just sent us looking for it ourselves... we spent over 40 minutes looking for the place which ended up being across the street from the hotel!!! Another negative of the hotel was that the sink in one of the room's wasn't draining properly.... this should have been noticed by staff prior to our checking in... overall the building itself if on par with other similar properties like Holiday Inn or even Marriott Courtyards, but the bad service makes it MUCH worse... A note on the breakfast: its not very good. They have some eggs made from a mix, only white bread, only ONE waffle maker so the wait is pretty long... we will NEVER stay in a Wingate hotel again

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank otak55
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, February 4, 2010
I would like to address the concerns you experienced at my hotel. First you are said that Lucas was negative and did not meet your request for extra blankets and sheets. As I was not there at the time, I will say that Lucas has been with my property for several months and this is the first bad comment on his behalf. Either way I will address this with Lucas and make sure it will not happen again. As for the directions on where to get a pizza, I find that inconclusive. We have Dominos / Flippers pizza menus and key cards in every room. As for surrounding areas, we have many to choose from. Our location boasts many great places to eat, including pizza places. I find it unlikely that Lucas would not give you a map, as we have several of them in the lobby.
In any case, I urge you to speak with a manger next time so we may fix the problem immediately, instead of hearing about the bad situation on the internet. If I was not able to help you with the issues, then feel free to post your comments. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.