“Great hotel located very close to Universal Studios”

Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #177 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashford
“Great hotel located very close to Universal Studios”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our room was large, clean and well laid out. Beds were very comfortable, and the hotel was quiet. The continental breakfast had the usual cereal and breads, and a waffle iron. Was pleasantly surprised that it had eggs and sausage too.

All the hotel staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Our check in clerk was amazingly friendly.

The hotel was within easy walking distance to Universal, About a 15-20 minute walk to catch Universal's water taxi, or continue walking along Universal's garden path for an addtional 15-20 minutes will bring you to the entrance to Uniiversal Studios.
The shuttle bus to Universal only ran once in the morning and once in the evening, so if you want to ride it, you have to be on its schedule. The hotel will provide transportation for you if you miss the shuttle bus back, but it isn't free. We didn't use this service, so don't know how much it would cost.
Our only let down at the hotel was the pool and hot tub. The pool was freezing, and the hot tub, at best, was lukewarm. We did ask management to turn up the hot tub, and they did, but it never got very warm at all.
We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to answer our brief survey about your recent stay with us. I do apologize that the pool and hot tub were not up to our usual working conditions. I am glad that you brought it to our attention during your stay. Our maintenance man continually checks the hot tub for temperature etc. I am sorry that the pool was cold, unfortuneately at this time of year our pool does remain a bit cooler than usual. Other than that it looks like you had a relaxing, comfortable stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and your family again on your next trip to Orlando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We arrived on Friday night to find our room had been cancelled. The front desk clerk, Doris, was quite rude and completely unhelpful. When I asked if there was any other rooms I could purchase, she told me that my room that had been cancelled was sold an hour earlier. I had been a faithful Wyndham customer when travelling in Orlando - never again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Without knowing the exact details of your reservation and what happen, I can only stipulate the two reasons we may cancel a reservation. A reservation will be cancelled when it’s after 4pm and it is held by a 4 pm hold or when a credit card does not go through. We authorize each guaranteed reservation’s credit card on the day of arrival. If for some reason the card does not go through we make every attempt to contact the guest. I personally make sure my staff emails, calls, or does whatever to try to contact you. If you cannot be reached we wait until 4 pm and then cancel the reservation. The reason for this is that a guest makes a reservation and guarantees it with a credit card. This means that I make sure I have a room for you when you arrive at the hotel. If the card does not go through, then it is no longer guaranteed. From the hotel side we must make sure the credit card can authorize as if for some reason it does not, its lost revenue for the property. I will make sure I speak with Doris to go over her professionalism and to explain any situation clearly to our guests. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 407 226-0900.