“Pretty Good..Decent.. Recommended”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stone Mountain, Georgia
“Pretty Good..Decent.. Recommended”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hotel was fine.. Good rate.. Close to Universal, Restaurants and stuff. Not bad at all. Fall season $65 to $85 well worth it...A little mold in shower and NO Smoke detector in Ceiling/Soffit.. Darn.. only $15 part at HD or Lowe... Still not too bad.. Breakfast decent.. but eggs better at Hampton's. Pastries ok.. decent. Breakfast Server was very nice and professional..Charlotte at Night desk was very professional.. All in All Good to Very good..
Thanks.. Good value !!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
I appreciate you leaving remarks about your stay while visiting our Orlando. I apologize that you were missing a smoke detector and that you saw some mold in the shower. Please let us know immediately next time, so we may fix those issues and make sure your stay is enjoyable. We have spare smoke detectors and I am unsure why another guest would take it off the ceiling? I can assure you that I will speak with housekeeping to spray all the walls with bleach. Thank you for the feedback and I will address this with my staff. I will aslo let Charolette know the positive feedback that you gave her. We hope that Wingate Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Mannheim, Deutschland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My boyfriend and me stayed in this hotel at the end of August in 2011. We booked the hotel since it is located just 3-4min away from the Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Parks. The hotel offers a free parking lot and the rate for the room includes breakfast. At first we had a room which smelled like a "smoking" room although smoking wasn't allowed in the whole building. The desk clerk was very friendly and gave us a free upgrade to a bigger room where we stayed for 3 nights. The hotel has a business room (free internet, printer), a whirlpool (indoor), an outdoor pool and a gym. After walking all day long in the parks it was really relaxing to enjoy the whirlpool afterwards as it's open from 06am to 10pm. The breakfast included toasts, bagels, muffins, apple, jam/peanut butter/cream cheese, cereals, milk, coffee, tea, juices and waffles. The hotel offers a free shuttle service to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Seaworld which runs twice in the morning and twice in the evening (back to the hotel). Overall we can highly recommend staying in the Wingate Hotel while being in Orlando to visit the parks.

Restaurants and supermarktes are just one street round the corner, too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank schuh_10
I appreciate you leaving remarks about your stay while visiting our Orlando. Thank you for the positive feedback as I will share this with the staff!!! It is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and we welcome you back anytime! We hope that Wingate Universal will be your only choice if you ever need a place to stay while in Orlando.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2011

if you are tired after a hectic day at the parks, then this is a good place to get a good night's sleep. It's not fancy, but the room is very clean and the continental breakfast was good. If you are snobby and inflexible, then this is not the place for you.

2 Thank Doreen R
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
I appreciate you leaving remarks about your stay while visiting our Orlando. Thank you for the positive feedback as I will share this with the staff!!! It is a pleasure to see that our hotel made your stay comfortable and enjoyable. I look forward to your next stay here at the Wingate by Wyndham!
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Hotel is very clean and beds are comfy. walking distance to Universal and the hotel has free discount coupons for Universal. Breakfast was only so so with poor variety. carb heavy as is usual with hotels. very pleasant stay.

2 Thank lugoi
Billings, Missouri
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is a good hotel for the price. Good location for Universal. Free shuttle was good but did not have enough shuttle times both to and from Universal, especially if you wanted to stay til park closes. But again it was free. Staff was friendly. Rooms clean, Breakfast was good but became redundant after three days since has the same things every morning. Good experience overall.

Texas City, TX
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Wingate by Wyndham Orlando-Universal Studios is an average property with a good location, and that’s about it. The room was adequate, but the water was never hot enough, the TV had a snowy reception, and the wireless Internet was spotty. It would be ok for a night or two, but no more. We stayed here for 9 nights as part of a vacation package, and after the 2nd night, we realized we should have made another choice. The breakfast was exactly the same every day—the same brown (as in burned) round, scrambled eggs; the same scorched sausage links; the same defrosted muffins, turnovers, and Danish---not one thing varied, and before anyone says “It’s a free breakfast; what do you expect?” nothing in the hotel is free-it’s all added into the room cost. We have stayed at other hotels in the area, and one in particular (a Suite hotel in the Buena Vista area, if you get my drift) varied the breakfast each day. By day three, I was ready for something else. Oh, they didn’t even have hot chocolate, a staple at most continental breakfasts, which is great if someone doesn’t drink coffee. My biggest complaint, however, is with the manager. I needed to print a document, so I went to the business center (2 computers and a printer). A child was playing on one of the computers, and a couple was printing, using the other computer. I waited for one of the computers to become available, and I noticed a sign on the business center door that read “No unattended children under the age of 18 permitted.” I walked over to the counter and asked to speak to the manager, who proceeded to tell me “He’s not bothering anyone.” I replied that whether he was bothering anyone was irrelevant. If he has a sign posted, he needs to follow what it says, and it’s a business center, not a daycare facility. Meanwhile, another couple got behind me to use the computer, and the child was still playing. Also, the security at the hotel is marginal. The first 4 nights, we found ads from different pizza companies under the door (as noted in another review). I showed one of the fliers to the front desk person who proceeded to ball it up and throw it into a drawer. I asked him if he was going to get the name, and he replied, “We know who they are; we just don’t know where they are.” The front desk has a sign warning people that the pizza companies are con artists who steal identities, so the hotel is well aware of the problem (the manager even responded to it on TripAdvisor). By the way, there is a no solicitation sign in the parking lot, warning that solicitors will be prosecuted. I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. By the way, the same person who balled up the pizza flier apparently is unhappy in his work—on another occasion when I actually got to use the business center, I got to listen to a slew of expletives about how his family knew how to run a hotel and knew what customer service was—blah blah blah—expletive deleted. Apparently much of what he was complaining about was bull$&*$$% since he used that word at least 3 times while I was sitting within earshot. All in all, the hotel was very average—I’ve stayed in worse, but I’ve also stayed in many that were better. By the way this was my first time at a Wingate by Wyndham, and based on this experience, I’ll pass on staying at another one.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelSteveR
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. I would like to address the concerns you had at my hotel during your stay. First I find it odd that you decided to post a comment 7 months later after staying with us in January. I do remember speaking to you during your stay, and tried to accommodate you for your issues. I apologize as the water was not hot enough during your stay. We have 3 large boilers, which is more than enough that maintain the hot water for the entire hotel. Brighthouse is our local cable provider and we called to voice the concern about the bad reception from the cable. Just to mention we are upgrading to flat screen TV’s with HD channels in the next 2 months. You never mentioned hot water and the internet issues when we spoke in person. In regards to the breakfast “being the same everyday” is somewhat correct. Our breakfast has minor changes, instead of sausage links/patties, we might have bacon or instead of scramble eggs we may have egg patties. We order from a local bakery that delivers on daily basis fresh muffins, bread, various fruit turnovers & danishes, and other items. We have many other breakfast items, besides what I mentioned above. Being here for 9 days, I can understand that breakfast may seem not to change for you. For our category hotel / type we provide a free hot breakfast as our competition in our market. My hotel and competitors are not resorts or high scale properties. You are correct every free amenity is provided in the room cost. So if you pay $60 or $119 it’s still free. Other hotels and resorts charge for internet, parking, Breakfast, resort fee, newspaper, and so on. The Wingate by Wyndham provides this all these amenities free of charge. To address your biggest complaint was working with me. Again you are correct in regards to the business center showing the sign of no one under 18 years old without a parent. I have certain guests that leave their kids in the business center to play and monkey around. They scream jump and go nuts around the equipment. If a person or child is acting civilly then I have no problem, as in this case. You were upset because a 10 year old child was surfing the net and the other computer was being used by a couple. This is not a “daycare facility” as you said, but it is a hotel and I am here to please all guests that stay here, no matter what their age is. As you complained about the child and wanted me to tell him to get out of the business center, I said let’s wait a couple minutes. You waited maybe 15 minutes before you got on the computer to use it. This is someone’s child and I was not going to be rude. I highly disagree that my security is marginal. My hotel is located across from Universal Orlando, near International Drive a high tourist area. We have many police offers that stop by our hotel to do paperwork and use our internet. I work with them closely with them as several are personal friends of mine. The Orlando Police Department have stopped by and done and inspection of my property and said it is above the standards for security. I have 16 cameras throughout the hotel and all doors lock at 10pm, and the main door locks at 11pm. You will need a room key to enter my hotel after hours. I do everything to protect my guest during their stay. I did explain to you about the pizza flier company and how the city of Orlando is trying to stop it. Please see the following links: ----------- and -----------. As you see the state of Florida is trying to crack down on the passed the Tourist Safety Act 2011. We have undercover police that stay at my hotel and arrest the illegal solicitors. You are entirely incorrect about the solicitation signs not being displayed in the parking lot. Many police offers have already arrested many pizza flier solicitors and in order for them to arrest the suspects, legally I must have the signs posted! Lastly I am not sure who you were listening to but that was none of the staff. This is hearsay and I not sure which employee this was. Overall I am sorry about your stay and hoped I was able to address all the concerns. I want to be honest with you, if your stay was not up to your standards, I would have done my best to find you another accommodation to suit your needs. It is my job to make sure your vacation is as pleasurable as possible and if my hotel does not make you happy, I will find you one that will. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. The interior was clean and the décor was beautifully accented with dark wood. The staff was attentive, though perhaps not as outgoing or friendly as ultimately desired. The rooms were quite nice, with comfortable beds, a refrigerator, and a microwave. Of course, there was room for upgrades (flat screen televisions would be a plus) and some slight maintenance issues (the bathtub floor drooped and did not drain in one spot), but overall the building was well maintained. The chief complaint I had was that I could not get a wireless Internet signal in my room (apparently it is available only in the lobby). The continental breakfast was adequate, with eggs, sausage, cereals, waffles, fruits, juices, and pastries. It’s a bit too far away from Universal to walk (especially with kids across busy highways) and the bus schedule was a bit lacking (only two drop-offs at Universal in the morning and three pickups at odd times in the evening – BEFORE the parks close). However, we found a convenient solution: You can avoid the $15.00 day-parking fee at Universal by taking the free hotel bus in the morning, then return via taxi for $5.50 (plus tip). This also gives you the option of staying at the park as long as you like, rather than having to adhere to the inconvenient bus schedule. Alternatively, you can return to the hotel mid-day for a much-needed rest or swim, then drive your vehicle back to the park after 6 and only have to pay $3.00 parking. Overall, this was a very pleasant hotel, reasonably priced, and we would probably stay here again.

2 Thank BlackCat307