“very good value for money resort,”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #110 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 5, 2010

just came back from a week,s vacation,check in was smooth, no hassles from any ticket touts, lovely rooms, safe, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and fluffy cloud beds!!! the deli is a bit over priced in my opinion, a couple bottles of water was $4.80. and i got 24 from kmart for $3.99!!! the pool area was clean and never busy, i cant understand the previous poster,s concerns, its clean and tidy, and good value , at no time did i feel unsafe, i think people have high expectations, and expect 5star hotels with 2star prices... i will definately be returning....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,892)

Reviewed October 4, 2010

My partner and I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. We were very worried because of the mixed reviews that we had read but we had a brilliant stay and will definitely be returning again.
The staff were always very friendly and greeted us every time they saw us. The front desk staff were very helpful. They let us have a late check out time as our shuttle bus wasn't taking us to the airport until the afternoon.
We had a standard room with 2 double beds which were very comfortable. The room was always clean and the housekeepers changed the towels daily. The fridge and microwave in our room were very handy because we bought food such as cereal, milk and microwave pizza etc from the nearby Walgreens to save money on breakfast and some dinners. We still went out to eat aswell in the theme parks and at International House Of Pancakes which is a short walk from the hotel. We visited Shades Deli quite often to buy snacks but we didn't go to the Sharky and Jack's Restaurant. The only thing I didn't like about our room was that the air con was a bit noisy when i left it on at night. It kept the room nice and cool but I'm a very light sleeper and can't sleep with any noise. My partner didn't mind it though. The room also had free wifi which i used on my phone.
The pool area was always pretty quiet. There are 2 jaccuzis which were nice and hot aswell as the pools.
We didn't use the gym or the games room.
We used the free shuttle to get to Universal Studios/Islands Of Adventure/Citywalk. This free shuttle bus from the hotel had 3 drop off times in the morning and 3 pick up times in the evening. We also used a taxi sometimes to get back from Universal Studios which only cost between $5 to $7. Wet and Wild is directly opposite the hotel but we didn't go there as i can't swim. There isn't a free shuttle to the disney parks but the front desk staff recommended that we use Mears Transportation which we found very useful. It costs $18 for 2 adults each way which is cheaper than a taxi. You just need to phone the company 90 minutes before you want to be picked up. We also used the Mears Transportation to get to the Florida Mall.
We went on a one day miami trip through virgin holidays whilst we were here which was a nice break from the theme parks.
I hope you find this review helpful. I've been to Florida 3 times now. Please message me if you'd like any help

1  Thank claireboggle
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed here for the 2nd time in 3 months, this time for 2 weeks (first had a week here in June). Really can't see what there is to complain about with this hotel. Great value for money. In June we paid £322 each for a week (including flights from Gatwick) booked with Cosmos. This time it was just over £600 each for 2 weeks via Thomson.
We regulary visit the USA (3-4 times a year) booking flights and hotels seperately and usually stay in 4-5* hotels. However this summer we just wanted a cheap couple of weeks in the sun and to visit the theme parks/water parks so worked out better booking as a package.
This hotel suited us perfectly. It is an above average hotel for the International Drive area - if this is the sort of money that you have to spend on a holiday in this area then you can't go wrong. The other options in this price range such as monumental movieland/econolodge/rodeway inn are way way below the standard of the Best Western.
I agree the rooms could do with updating, but ours on both occasions were clean and comfortable. The air condtioning is noisy, but we find it helps us sleep as disguises any noise such as neighbours coming in late/room doors slamming etc.
The pool was very quiet and sunbeds plentiful throughout the day. The staff were very helpful and polite. The free computers and internet access in the lobby were useful and staff printed some things out for us when we asked. Plently of free parking.
The location is great. 4 minute walk to wet and wild. Free shuttle to Universal and Aquatica/Seaworld which we used a few times worked well. It was always on time and saved paying $12 a day to park at these places.
Our favourite restaurant to go to is Logans Roadhouse - only 5 minutes drive from here on Sand Lake Road West - great food and atmosphere, and mostly locals - virtually no tourists there. Always a great welcome and food. We ate there many times this year and also 4 years ago, (when we stayed at the Crown Plaza which we thought was a very nice hotel). Highly recommend Texas de Brazil and Sweet Tomatoes also, both less than 5 minutes drive from this hotel.
All in all this hotel is probably the best you can get in this price range in this area.

Reviewed September 25, 2010

I vacation about 3 times a year and have stayed at best westerns before but i can tell you this one experience has given me enough reason to never give this company money again!!! I am currently staying at the best western gateway in orlando until monday and I am amazed at the staff in this location. When we booked the hotel room we were asked what kind of bed we would like and we told the rep a queen or king bed would be great and the rep replied king would be fine but on arrival when we went to check in the front desk clerk who pulled up our reservation and said 4 night stay with one king bed oh wait were all out of king beds only doubles are left so if you want one bed i will have to upgrade to a suite for an extra charge per night. Very annoying but not that big of a deal so I stayed quiet and took the room. We get up to the room and when the covers are pulled back there is a small stain on the sheets which looks like coffee but i once again stay quiet and disregard for i am not one to complain. Next day we go to islands of adventure at 8am and do not return to the room until 4pm and no housekeeping was done to the room once again i stay quiet. Now the third day of our stay we leave the hotel at 7 am and my girlfriend marks an x on the sheets to see if someone comes to change the sheets while we are gone and when we return the sheets with the stain and x in pen are still on the bed. Now im done being quiet! I go to the front desk and explain everything to the girl working and was told she called housekeeping and they said we had a do not disturb sign on the door which is why our room was not cleaned. I explained to the front desk no one was in the room all day and no do not disturb sign was put on the door. To my surprise I was pretty much called a liar. A liar??!!! Why would i make this up?? Not looking for an upgrade cause I already paid for one i didnt want!! I tell them to have someone come change the sheets right now. When the housekeeper arrives she pulls back the covers and asked us why we want the sheets changed and when we reply she sighs and rolls her eyes at us as she proceeds to talk on her cell phone while in our room. Rolls her eyes right at our faces without a second thought!! Has this hotel ever heard of customer service!! There are 40 other hotels within a mile of this location you would think guest satisfaction would be there number one concern. Now im enraged so i call best western 800 customer service and explain the situation and i am left on hold for 28 mins and 42 sec and when he finally comes back to the phone he is actually ruder than the staff at the hotel telling me im lying and the hotel said Universal is at fault for the room because they booked it even though when we checked in they said they had a reservation for a king bed, the room wasnt cleaned because we had a do not disturb sign in the key swipe(which we did not because when we returned to the hotel after the park we stuck our key right in an empty swiper, and they only change the sheets mon and thurs. I have never taken the time to write a review but i have never had such a bad experience at a hotel in my life as well as been insulted from a place that is suppose to provide a service of customer satisfaction. I have never had a problem at a best western before but i will make sure i tell everyone i know how I was treated here and never stay with them again.

1  Thank clover73180
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Check in was fine, gentleman (from Spain I think) was very polite and helpful. After checking in, we were harassed by a man who wanted to sell us park tickets from a desk that is in reception. We explained we had been up for hours and had been on a 9 hour flight but he was rude, arrogant and cocky. Not sure what his name was but nearly complained about him!

Corridors shabby and need a lick of paint. Room was ok but floor was filthy, they had not hoovered it after the last guests! Bathroom old and shabby, bath tap was half hanging off the wall! shower was nice and powerful though! towels changed everyday which was nice and beds were made but not sure if they were changed for two weeks or not? Beds and pillows were very very comfy!

The whole hotel gave me this feeling we were not safe and that our stuff in our room was not safe, i was even worried that our items from the safe would be stolen, (not sure why i felt like that). Pool and jacuzzi's were ok, appeared clean enough, they provide towels for the pool but they are so thin, have holes in them and are the size of hand towels!!! we ordered a pizza which was very nice, lots of fresh veg on it so can't complain about the food. The girls who served us were polite. The housekeeping staff always said hello. Lift was very quick.

This is an ok hotel if you are on a really tight budget, good location for I-drive, buses, outlet shopping, wet n wild and universal, however if you get a cab, do not use the hotel! call Mears Transporation, a taxi to Universal is no more than $6! the other cabs just rip you off.

Pool open until 11pm, we had a poolside room but were not disturbed.

Reviewed September 24, 2010

My boyfriend and I have stayed here for every trip to Florida and for the last 3 years in a row. The rooms are clean, the beds are very comfortable and there is plenty of space. Yes, the bathrooms could do with a bit of updating but, the shower works wells and the towels are replaced daily. The location of the hotel is great. Universal is about a 10 minute walk away and there is a Walgreens at the end of the road.

This hotel represents good value for money and we have never had any issues with any of our stays here.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

This hotel was the worst hotel I have stayed at, were to start, we had 2 rooms one for my husband and i and one for our grown children to start with when we went to our room the tub spout was missing the shower lever so we couldn't take a shower until it was fixed, smelled like mold. Our kids room the bed was broke, the tv keeping coming on and off on its own and there was someting nasty growing in the AC unit. We felt like we were bothering the front desk staff when we said anything. The following day we asked for a new room and was charged and upgrade fee we would of changed hotels but we were royal holiday members and we were told we would have a suite that is a joke. To top it all off the hot tub jets did not work and the worst thing was they say they are a clean hotel there was garbage in the halls all the time and the whole week there was a tampon next to the hot tub. That I think is unexcussable. I will be calling royal holiday because I think this hotel should be taking off there list.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
GMatBWOrlandoGateway, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

I apologize that you felt our staff was rude and not sympathetic to your situation. I will take this review to our weekly front office and housekeeping meetings and share it with them. This is not indicative of our service culture and will not be tolerated. We have a strict no cell phone policy and although we change bed sheets upon checkout and every third day, if a guest would like their sheets changed daily, then we change them daily.

Your situation should never have happened and I will make sure that our managers are aware of the issues and get them addressed.

If you would like to speak to me directly, please give me a call and I will be more than happy to listen to your issues and handle them accordingly.

Bill Jones, CHA