Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Floridian Express(Orlando)
  • Breakfast included
3,015 results
All reviewsuniversal studiosbest westernsinternational drivebasketball courtfree shuttlebreakfast buffetfridge and microwavepool areabooked this hotelbusiness centernice poolbeds were comfortableshuttle servicetheme parkupon checkcalled the front desksea world
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family was looking for an inexpensive hotel close to Universal for a 2 day visit during February break. We arrived at the hotel late and were pleasantly greeted. The clerk noticed that we were Best Western Cub members and we were given a room on the top floor with a great view. The hotel and our room were clean and in well repair. The bathroom in the lobby was exceptional with trendy modern bowl sinks and granite counters. We purchased our Universal tickets in the hotel lobby, saving us a wait in line at the park. The free shuttle picked us up on schedule for a 2 minute ride to the park and was also on time for the return. Our flight home was not until 5 pm out of Tampa, so I inquired about a late check out. A different clerk looked up the reservation and again said " Oh, you are a Best Western Club member!" I was told that I could stay without an extra charge until 1pm ( which is what I requested). It was a few simple things like that, which made us feel "special" and made this hotel seem a few notches above the average, moderately priced hotel..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Ann T.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you and your family were able to get away from the cold in Rhode Island for a few days of sun and fun in Orlando and that you chose to stay with us!

I see that you noticed our public area renovations, which are nearing completion, and that you enjoyed them. Our rooms are next and I am certain they will be well received! Our goal is to provide each and every guest with clean, comfortable and safe accommodations at affordable prices and I am happy that we were able to do that for you and your family.

I look forward to your returning to the Orlando area and visiting us again!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Every once in a while I get a sour egg using Priceline (45/night) and this Best Western was a poor offering. Everything about this hotel is just average -- while they are trying REALLY hard to be a little more than average, to me, it seems much ado about nothing. So, they pump a little jazz through the halls; so, they have a restaurant and a store on site, so they have a Universal Studios ticketing booth on site -- it really didn't take my attention off the lack luster hotel.

The room was JUST a room and definitely nothing to write home about. I paid a few more dollars and got a King suite, which had a separate seating area. So here's the run down of my displeasure...
1) Limited electrical outlets in the room means phone is charging on a wall 5ft away from the bed.
2) The chairs are that ikky stain-free fabric that feels like you just stepped into an hourly motel (not that I know what that's like - lol)
3) I could not find the hot water and the tub drained slowly. It took a technician to come unclog the tub and show me where the hot water place was on the knob...which I wasn't able to locate again after he left. I had lukewarm shower as a result.
4) Parking at this place is a nightmare at night -- either get there by 9pm or be forced to find a inventive way of parking on site.
5) Air conditioner seemed unncessarily loud all through the day/night. I just figured it was what it was -- so I lived with it.

Had it not been for Pricelines no refunds policy, I would have checked in and checked RIGHT OUT.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if possible; however the King suite was spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MusicalTravel
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Musical Traveler,

I thank you for your business and your taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I do appreciate that you mention the Deli, restaurant and our affiliation with Universal Studios but am disappointed that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us.

Each table lamp which is located next to the beds and in your case with a king room, on either side of the bed, has two electrical outlets that are easily accessible, perhaps you didn't notice them for your phone charger. Our chairs have a standard industry fabric (not a vinyl material) on them. However, they have all been provided with a Scotchguard treatment to prevent damage from guests who sit on them after visiting our pool and hot tub area.

I also appreciate the our Maintenance department was able to take care of the drain issue but they should have made sure that you understood that you would have to turn the valve left for hot water and right for cold.

Again, I am thankful for your business and hope that you will consider us for your travels to the Orlando area in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

its a bit cloistered and mixing that with the carpet doesn't make a good place for allergies and etc. However as the rooms are pretty fair and the staff is great then, considering its not an expensive hotel, it worth getting hosted there when you are going to Disney or Universal parks.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Pedro C.,

I wanted to thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Orlando. I do appreciate your comments and will certainly share your kind words with our staff. Our location is suited perfectly for those that are visiting Universal Studios, as it is right up the road and Walt Disney World, which is a short 20 minutes away. We will be replacing the room carpets this year as part of our rooms renovation so please consider staying with us on your next visit to Orlando.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at an good rate. The location is very convenient near to attractions, shopping and restaurants, but away from the major busy streets. It would have been excellent if breakfast was provided

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Henry H.,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent 4 day visit to the Orlando area. I appreciate your comments regarding our staff and facility as well as our great location. I will make sure that I pass your comments on to our staff and we hope to see you return again soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We got this hotel on priceline and once we read the reviews we were very anxious about what we would be getting. I was expecting the worst when we arrived and was not happy when the room we were given on the main floor had a very strong odor. It smelled like a combination of smoke and mildew. It was disgusting and we immediately requested another room. No problem at getting another room on the 7th floor. It was right next to the elevators but was not noisy at all and did not smell! The room was fine. The hotel is fine. They just really need to do some renovations. It's interesting that a month ago this hotel was classified as a "Best Western Plus" but now I see it is just a "Best Western". Makes more sense because I didn't understand how it could be rated a "Plus" with no breakfast. I do wonder if they have stopped charging the Resort Fee. On a positive note, the shuttle to Universal Studios is very convenient as is its location to International Drive.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank nicksmomToronto
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear nicksmom Toronto,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that we were able to move your rooms and that you found that room to be satisfactory, albeit near an elevator. We are a full service hotels, whereas most Best Western Hotels are limited service. Because we are a full service hotel with a full restaurant and lounge along with a New York style deli, we do charge for breakfast.

I am pleased to say that we will be updating our hotel throughout the year in several phases so that there will not be any interruption to the guests experience. The public spaces and meeting rooms are near completion and then we will begin with the rooms.

It is always our goal to provide each and every guest with clean, comfortable, quality accommodations at reasonable prices and I hope that you will look us up the next time you are traveling to the Orlando area and see the changes that have been made.

Again, thank you for your review and I hope to see you soon.