“Average hotel just off of I-Drive”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #116 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Montreal, Canada
“Average hotel just off of I-Drive”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is located just off of I-Drive. You are about a 5 minute walk to I-Drive and just right behind Wet and Wild Water park. There are plenty of restaurants in the area.

The hotel is an older property which could use a refresh in the rooms. We arrived late at the hotel around 1am and was assigned room 135 which is at the end of the hallway on the ground floor right next to the exit door and ice machine. When we checked in it was the only one available. This was definitely one of those rooms I'm sure they have on file as assign last! In the morning all you hear is the door opening and closing outside. In addition, it just had this really horrible musty smell in it. In addition, the bathroom ceiling was also covered in dead bugs. It definitely felt like this room wasn't inhabited very much. The next morning we asked if we could change to another room which was accommodated with no no problem. We got moved to another room on the 4th floor which was better minus the air conditioner that didn't really work. It had the same old decor but just had a much cleaner feel to it without that horrible musty smell. There is free wi-fi which worked quite well. Parking is also free at the hotel but if you arrive at the hotel late at night it's tough to find a spot.

I would say the that the staff really were extremely helpful and that it was no issue at all for them to accommodate the changes. They tried to get someone to fix the a/c to no avail but at that point I couldn't be bothered to change rooms again. When I checked out the agent asked me how my stay was and I said it was ok except for a few hiccups. I explained what happened and it seems like the resort fee was not charged for my stay.

Room Tip: avoid room 135 it's on the ground floor right next to the ice machine and exit door
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gord_Mtl
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I was disappointed that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. I do appreciate that our staff was accommodating when you requested a room change. I will certainly make sure that we get into room 135 and make the necessary repairs and provide the room with a deep cleaning.

We do have a refurbishment planned for this year that includes new furniture in the room which will provide us with a more updated look. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to the Orlando and Universal Studios area.

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This trip was booked last minute through Hotwire, so we got an incredible deal. I defiantly do not agree with Hotwires rating of a 3 star hotel though. Priceline has this place at 2 1/2 stars and that is defiantly more like it. We have stayed at many hotels and this one wasn't too bad, but it did have some minor kinks. First, the good....the employees are very very very friendly and helpful, the location to Universal is wonderful and they have a wonderful taxi service from the hotel- we had a great friendly lady, with blond hair (forgot her name), and the hot tubs are wonderful. Ok. Now to the glitches- I think the only time the pool is in the sun is at like 6PM. The pool does not get sun AT ALL but they keep the pool water very warm-which was good. The rooms are old and the tubs and tile reflect it, but are clean. We stayed in a suite and the TV was a mile away from the bed and the remote didn't work until you were 2 ft in front of the TV. For as much as you are in the room it was sufficient. I probably would not stay here again, but we couldn't beat the price using Hotwire.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Reseption has multy lingual receptionist helping you out with every thing. they have heated pool and jacuzzi, resaurant and kiosk, laundry and rent a car, fitness and computer room, concierge and freee shuttle to universal, big GOOD beds and clean room, big fridge and bathtub... they only say they have 3 stars - but the 3 stars are good stars! thanks for a plesant stay :o)

Room Tip: east front
2 Thank Monica S
asherwoo4
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The positive was the room clean and good location 2 star hotel not 4 star or 3 . This hotel is run down needs upgrade. how anyone can call this a 3 or 4 star hotel is beyond me. Hotwire .com is who i booked with thinking i was getting a great hotel. The hotel is fair and room clean but best I can say for it.

2 Thank asherwoo4
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This week in Orlando was a lesson worth learning. You don't have to pay Disney Resort prices to stay in top quality accomodations near Disney. Stay at this Best Western for one-fifth the price per night and get plush comfortable beds, granite, in-room fridge and microwave, loads of extras and impeccable service every step of the way. The $25 per day you'll pay for car rental and parking at the parks won't be anywhere near what the resorts tag on for "resort fees" above and beyond the hefty room rate. The 20 minute drive each way was less time than the Resort buses take to get you back to your hotel "in Disney." Save yourself hundreds of dollars per night and don't fall for the DisneyResort hype. Use all that money you saved to eat out more -or Splurge for a park hopper pass with no expiration date. This hotel was a true find. We stayed 5 nights then the last two in the Dolphin then the Boardwalk. I liked the Best Western better...for literally one-fifth the price per night!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank BostonTraveler40
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in January. The location is great...just a few minutes from I-Drive and Universal. Although the hotel is older, you can tell they've done some recent updates. The room was comfortable and a good size. The hotel was very clean and nicely decorated. Although you can tell the hotel put a lot of money into updates, the contractor they hired to do the painting didn't do a very good job (lot of paint splattered on tiles, carpet...just overall poor workmanship). The shower also took a while to heat up and was luke-warm at best. The food prices at the café were high ($10 for a pre-made sandwich) but there were a lot of other food options in the area if you didn't want to eat there. My only other complaint was the lack of housekeeping. They came and changed the garbage and towels but they didn't make the beds. All those things aside, the hotel experience was good overall.

2 Thank Mrtsadventure
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here for three days in November after leaving Disney. The hotel came as a package deal, and we got a very good deal. The staff was super friendly and provided us with a rollaway bed, we had 2 adults and three kids. The room was small, but was a corner which was a plus. The bathroom needed updated, as did the bedding and carpet, but we were barely in the room. Just outside our door was exposed attic with ceiling tiles missing. We had loud people around us, but having three young kids, I understand. There was a great bar and grill in the lobby which we enjoyed. Included in our package was bus service to Universal which we used. I only wish the buses ran non-stop, but we enjoyed it. All in all, I would probably give this hotel another chance. I would like to see a hot tub included.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. However, I was disappointed that your stay was less than perfect. We are in the process of updating all of our bathrooms and it is clear that you were not placed in one of the rooms where the bathroom has been completed. We should be completed with this project by the beginning of the Spring season. I certainly hope that you will give us a second look the next time you travel to Orlando.

Bill Jones, CHA