“The "Gotcha Resort Fee"!”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #113 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Pleasant stay. We didn't use any of the amenities, but most of the hotel was good. The bathroom had bad water damage and very patchy repair work. Seemed sloppy!
We told the front desk when we checked out, so she refunded the Resort fee.
The Resort fee was for internet, parking, blah blah blah..charged us $ 3.95.
The room was a little outdated but not horrible.

2  Thank NewlywedsfromFlorida
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your mobile review of our hotel. I appreciate the fact that you , for the most part, enjoyed your stay and we will make sure we get into your bathroom and make the necessary repairs. The service fee is a $3.50 per day charge that does cover parking, use of the tennis and basketball courts as well as wireless internet service in all rooms and public areas including the pool.

I certainly hope we see you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Ok so we booked through Virgin Holidays for this hotel and while i did check Trip Advisor first there was very mixed reports of what this hotel was like so to be honest we were not sure what to expect but the reassurance we had was surely it cant be that bad if Virgin Holidays use it as in the UK this is seen as very good tour operator.
Also we very much liked the fact the hotel manager was commenting on reviews regardless of whether they were good or bad as this not only gave us the reassurance that they reading these reviews but that they also cared.

Anyway we arrived in our car to be pleasantly greeted by plenty of free car parking spaces and plenty of room in the car park to park.

Reception staff were lovely and always helpful however to be fair we probably only needed to speak to them a couple of times. One being when we checked in and the next time was probably the night before we were due to leave as we wanted to pay and extend the room. We were able to extend the room until 3pm and they did not charge us for this which we thought was great and obviously we used it to our advantage.

The room we were in was big, as i am sure most rooms in America are to be fair, but it had 2 double beds, fridge and microwave. The safe in the room was also big and had plenty of room for all the tickets, passports, money and just about everything else!
The cleaners came daily and did a great job and would change towels as often as you needed.

The pool area was a relaxing place as whenever we seemed to go it was always quiet but the pool lovely and the Jacuzzi's (both of them) were just as good as each other. The pool area was open until around 10pmand had plenty of towels available whenever we went down that you could just help yourself too.
There was an undercover bit of the pool area which was soooo relaxing as had the most comfortable loungers which were perfect if you were wanting to relax round the pool but could see the typlical Floridian Showers were going to come.

Locally to the hotel, it is literally straight across the road from Wet n Wild and there are I-Ride stops just outside.

International Drive is approximately 100m away and on there are plenty of restaurants which you can have a steady walk too. It is all flat aswell so if you have pushchairs or wheel chairs you will be fine.

I can only report on how our trip was here and I would absolutely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking Wet n Wild
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

I certainly appreciate you taking the time for a thorough review of our hotel. I was pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed the room and the pool/spa areas of the hotel.

You are right, I do read each and every review and I review all of them with our staff on a daily basis. While not all are good, the majority certainly are and those that highlight any negative experiences are researched and any improvements that can be made are.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time for the review and we look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I love the towel swans in the room. What i didn't like is this:

--The fire thing was low on batteries and made that annoying sound until i called them up to change the battery.

--the sprinkler in the room looked unsightly

--the same wall looked beat up.

---the coffee gift shop charges $2.25 for a coffee, a Starbucks moment with no refills and some other coffee

The good: Great range of facilities from pool, hot tub, tennis and 1/2 court basketball.

Also check in was extremely slow and i had to put $50 extra down because i have a debit card.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks I was a bit worried after reading so many bad reviews but I can say I fouud no problems
We enjoyed our stay found the staff very friendly room was cleaned every day fresh towels I would stay here again the only thing I would say is the could put a bus on to the Disney parks as we never drove so found Disney world a bit of a trek to get to universal was within walking distance again you had a free bus to there which was great over all had a pleasant stay here don't believe everything that people say book and find out yourself some people expect 5star for 3/4 star hotels this is the first review I have written

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed for one Sunday night in November so I could attend a Monday conference in Orlando. I booked the room through the front desk 3 hours before i arrived @ $85 including tax which was a very good rate. This is a good place to stay if you are looking for a good value for the cost in Orlando. The hotel is very easy to access from I-4. The hotel staff were friendly and check-in and check-out was fast. The room was large, clean and well maintained with above average bedding, a nice flat screen tv and a large desk for working. I had no problem finding a parking space in the hotel lot. The snack / sundries shop off the hotel lobby was much appreciated. The prices of the items there were average for Orlando The wireless internet was excellent and heat / air was quiet. My room was on the top floor facing the pool and the pool noise was a bit loud until the pool was closed at approx 10:30pm. My only complaint was with several inconsiderate families staying on the same floor who let their children play in the hallway until almost midnight. This is a common occurance in Orlando, so I was not surprised. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the pool are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayes in many best westerns. This was below the standard.
It was old and stinky. The staff did their job but were not very friendly.
The hotel needs some work!
The only upside was the price that was good

• Stayed: November 2012
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is our goal to provide clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations to all of our guests and it appears that we did not meet that goal for you during your stay.

I have sent you an e-mail asking for specifics so that we can improve on our product. I certainly hope that you will give us another chance during your next visit to Orlando.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

On arrival to the hotel, it was obvious this is one of the older hotel buildings in the area. However, once checking in with the very friendly front desk staff and getting into my room, it appeared that the hotel took time to modernize the actual hotel rooms themselves as they all came with modern fixtures in the bedroom and bathroom along with a 32' flat panel TV and a mini-fridge and microwave inside the entertainment center. I also appreciated that there were two faucets and sinks in the room: one in the bathroom proper and the other in the hotel room itself across from the bathroom door in order to multi-task if two or more people are staying in one room.

The décor in the rooms was modern yet had a slight tropical theme which was fitting due to the location of the hotel in a more tourist-oriented area of Orlando. I also thought the beds were very comfortable and had no concerns with cleanliness during my visit as everything was orderly whenever I came back from a day at Universal.

The hotel had a bar/restaurant in the first level and a convenience store for purchasing snacks and beverages during your stay. I did use one of the two hot tubs at the hotel which was clean and very relaxing to soothe aching muscles. The hotel is a little over one mile south of Universal Studios on so you can walk to the parks if you are determined and don’t mind the extra walking. There is an actual sidewalk that you can follow all the way to the transportation center above the van/bus parking area at Universal which I thought was pretty handy considering you have to walk over I-4.

I used the shuttle that goes to Universal at the hotel and found that this was a great alternative to driving your own car and paying $15 to park. The bus comes back to the hotel at various times throughout the late afternoon/early evening so I avoided driving my rental car for all but the last day of my visit to Universal.

Overall, the hotel was a great Hotwire special and I thought I certainly received the value for which I paid and would stay here again on future visits to Orlando along with recommending family or friends to stay at the Best Western Gateway as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank arw84

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate your taking the time to highlight all that we have to offer. It is true our building is not new, however, we are constantly upgrading and improving our product. The televisions you mentioned are actually 37" plasma's that were installed in the last two years. Our current project that we are working on is an upgrade to our bathroom floor tiles. That is coming along nicely and should be finished by the end of the year.

Our staff works hard to make sure that everyone enjoys their stay and I am glad that you enjoyed yours. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.