“nice, older hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #128 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Irving, Texas
“nice, older hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I wound up at this hotel because the Best Western close to my meeting place was full. I was glad I had to move. This hotel has inside access which is much more secure. Friendly people while checking in and out always makes the stay better. This is the first hotel that actually gave me a gift for presenting a platinum card, wasn't much but it was nice. There were little shops near the lobby so there was no "free" breakfast. Location was good and parking was easy. I will stay there next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Danny D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

So me and my parents were going on a holiday to Florida, Orlando for 2 weeks. We had been to Travel Lodge, Econolodge and Imperial Swan before. Bad experiences with them all. But when we got to Best Western we were in luck! Lovely check in service, a shop where you could buy homemade sandwiches, homemade pizza, and ice cream. Snacks and drinks galore! Obviously, we just needed a place to rest our heads at night time but during the holiday I became ill so I had to spend quite a few days in the hotel. The rooms were exquisite, not a single fault. Bathroom clean. Storage space was roomy. And the TV had loads of channels. A few days after I recovered, I spent a few days relaxing by the pool after a hectic few days at the parks. The pool was lovely and cool and clean. The jacuzzi's were brilliant! I spent most of my time in there. If not during the day, at night after shopping at the malls or at the theme parks. Anyway, the room had a nice size fridge to keep all our drinks and snacks in and a microwave. We didn't use the microwave but it was nice to know it was there in case. A thing I always liked, was the music. There was music from 9AM till 11PM in the pool area. and 24 hour music in the lobby which was nice. The best thing was, you couldn't hear the music from the lobby or the pool from your room! So when you went to bed, you couldn't hear it. It had a gym but me being me, I was to lazy to use it. It had a games room, I didn't use either. But I went to the deli daily to get drinks or the odd snack or ice cream. The staff were so friendly. And I'm actually friends with one of the members of staff now! One of the other good things is it's not to far from IHOP and you get to walk your meal off after. Also a short walk from Walgreens, we always went there every night to get a few bits and bobs. Also a 5 minute walk from Universal Studios, I never walked there, I'm to lazy but for the more energetic and fit type then that's great. In the hotel, there is a bar/restaurant where you can go for your dinner or for a drink. Also outside the hotel is a smoking area which has smoking poles (so you aren't walking on cigarette ends).
This hotel is the ultimate best hotel we have been in before. I recommend it to anyone. The staff couldn't be more helpful and couldn't do more for you. They'll help you with anything you need. We will be going back there hopefully in a few months because we loved it so much!

I totally recommend it and give it a 5 :)

Room Tip: In the night, if your not used to A/C then turn it down a bit before going to sleep and it will be l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BethanyNewcastle
West Palm Beach Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Ok so I booked this room last minute on a travel site. I know better than to think that if I pay 40 bucks a night for a room that I'm going to receive 4 star service.
Here's my review:
Room was clean. Beds were comfortable. NO BED BUGS NO LEAKS in room. Nice size bathroom . The room has a nice size fridge and microwave.
The hotel has a nice store where they sell deli sandwiches and things you may need.. Hair products swim products snacks drinks etc. there is also restaurant and bar there which is nice.
The POOL area.. They were in process d painting the patio area which was much needed. The pool was DIRTY. Lots and lots of leaves in pool and hair floating everywhere.. They for SURE need to make sure someone is out there maintaining that pool.
Ok here's my biggest issue. When I arrived we went into my room and the air condition was on.. But it never got cool. I waited a couple hours and they moved me to a room down the hall. I walked in and it was cool.. But never really got COLD. I did NOT want to be " that customer" that complains all the time so I dealt with it the first night. By the second night my husband had to call and complain because the compressor was not kicking on. The nice maintenance guy came up and fixed the AC.. The filter was awful nasty and clogged. After he left the room got cold. BuT just having to deal with the constant AC issue was a hassle also the room had a nice flat screen but the tv kept going blurry and constant static.
All in all the staff was friendly and nice and I appreciated that but the hotel needs some work. I most likely won't be back.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Fiveomom7945
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel when it was called the Clarion a few years ago. Basically not much had changed with the hotel since its new ownership. The reception cover (1 person) on the day we arrived was pretty poor and it took a while to get us checked in. Unfortunately the room we were initially given had a leak from the bathroom into the bedroom so were we moved but this was done with no hassle what so ever. This hotel seems very busy from the number of cars in the car park but the pool, each day, had only a handful of people so it was quiet, relaxing and easy to get a sun lounger no matter what time you arrived a the pool. Stayed here twice and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruth291260
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is definitely a good bargain. Or a good cost you get pretty decent amenities, like a refridgerator in your rooms, gyms, hot tubs and pools. It's perfect for the family that wants to spend time in Disney but not really breakte bank. Their customer service is great! I have a really kind front desk receptionist tony. After I checked outthe bell man, Julio made sure my transportation was available and confirmed my reservation. He was extremely kind! I wish I could've tipped him but I didn't have any cash!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Coraldelmar3
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind review on TripAdvisor.

It is good to see that our customers enjoy our amenities and staff friendliness. It is always our goal to provide our guests wtih clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations while providing top notch customer service.

I will pass your comments on to Tony and Junior and we hope to see you soon!

Bill Jones, CHA
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway Hotel for 28-30 nights (separated into four 1 week vacations) over the past few years. We are in our early 40's and empty nesters. Rita greeted me at the Front Desk, she is always a pleasure, and in a few minutes I had our room keys and was ready to start our vacation. The room was done very well, considering we were not paying $100's a night to stay at a Disney Resort. The snack shop in open until 11 pm and has plenty of options including sandwiches, cake and ice cream. The pool is heated and there are 2 jacuzzi's heated to different temperatures. Basketball and Tennis can be heard, but not annoyingly, on the other side of the pool.
Okay, ever hotel has its negatives, right? There are people smoking cigarettes every 8-10 feet around the pool. There is no way to avoid it, other than to avoid the pool. The cable options, for the occasional rainy day, are poor. If money is not an option there are plenty of pay-per-view movies and on demand TV shows.
All in all, this was another wonderful vacation in Orlando, Florida! Thanks Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway Hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeff H
Thank you for staying with us again during your recent vacation! It is always nice to see and hear from so many return guests who have enjoyed our property and our staff friendliness on many occasions.

We are in negotiations now to have our whole TV channel line-up changed to one with many more options. Hopefully we'll be able to get that done soon and I'm sure that it will be completed before your next trip!

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Bill Joens, CHA
Laval, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed in the best western in August 2012.. What can u say ... The place needs alot of making over. Rooms stunk like fabreeze, to camouflage the moldy smell.. Mold in the bathroom, very outdated.. coffee shop didn't open until 7:45 in the morning.. If ur a early bird .. Good luck finding a coffee.. The only good thing that it's minutes away from universal studios,shopping outlets..

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I certainly apologize that your stay with us was not more pleasant. I have sent you an e-mail asking for the particulars so that we can address the situations so that they do not occur in the future. Our Shades Deli, along with our restaurant, opens up at 7 am and I will be speaking with our F&B Director to find out just what happened and why the Deli was not open on time during your stay.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with great customer service and clean comfortable accommodations in teh near future.

Bill Jones, CHA