“Wonderful Atmosphere, Excellent Customer Service”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #119 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Winter Haven, Florida, United States
“Wonderful Atmosphere, Excellent Customer Service”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week just to get away and enjoy each other's company. And so, we selected this hotel since it was centered in Orlando and relatively affordable. I was astonished. I have stayed at some of the best hotels such as the Marriott, Hilton, Peabody, Hyatt, etc. and this hotel had better customer service than some of the five-star resorts/hotels I have stayed at. Everyone was incredibly nice and if we needed anything, they would promptly address our concerns. The hotel even had a taxi service that was amazing as well. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone vacating in Orlando.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to read your kind words regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. It is always our goal to offer comfortable accommodations at affordable prices while providing excellent customer service to all of our guests. I will make sure that I pass your comments on to them at our next staff meeting.

We look froward to seeing you and your boyfriend again in the near future!

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The staff, location, and the quality of the room really made this an ideal choice for our family while vacationing at Universal Studios. The staff could not have been more helpful getting us into a room when our plane arrive a bit early. The hotel has a nice little deli that is open early and late for either breakfast or late night snacks. The room itself was up-to-date, clean and comfortable. But what is really nice about the Orlando Gateway Inn is the location. From the front door you can walk to Wet 'N Wild, but what was a big plus for us is that it was three stop lights away from Universal Studios. After a long day at the park, I just didn't want to fight traffic and drive another half hour to get to our hotel room.

Yes, there resorts nearby with a lot of amenities for a few bucks more a night, but if all you really need is a convenient, clean, and reasonably priced place to sleep, this was a great choice for us. This will be our first choice when we come back again someday.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I certainly appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you and your family found the property to be clean, comfortable and convenient to all that Orlando has to offer. I will pass on your comments to our great staff!

We look forward to your returning to Orlando and staying with us in the future.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had a late check in around 8:30 pm. It took three rooms before we were given a room that was poor but tolerable. The first room had a strong perfume odor to cover the smoking smell. The second room had a mildew smell from the carpet. The third room still had a mildew smell but it was tolerable with the air-conditioning on high. We would have left this hotel and checked in somewhere else but it was after 9:00 pm and we were very tired. I have stayed at other Best Western Hotels that were very good so I was surprised and disappointed in this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your recent trip to Orlando.

I was disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay and that you had difficulty finding a room that was suitable. Certainly, we do not feel that is the norm and I will make sure that we research just what went wrong and that we take the necessary steps to alleviate the issues that you encountered.

Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations while providing superior guest service to all of our guests and in your case it appears that we failed to reach those goals and I certainly apologize for that.

Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed August 22, 2012

While the hotel was terrific, and the staff extremely nice, I am very disappointed in the way the billing was handled. I called Best Western in May for a trip in August. I was very upfront about traveling with a small dog. I booked and paid for the hotel and tickets to Universal and Sea World at the time I made the reservation. The booking agent and the follow-up emails both stated a $3.50/day charge payable at check-in, but nothing else. Imagine my surprise that upon checking in I was told the dog would be an extra $20/day and at check-out the charge was actually $21.50/day and there were also $.65 and $.60 per day for room taxes. The money wasn't the issue - it was the deceptive way in which it was handled by the booking agent! There are plenty of hotels in the same area and I will definitely look at them before booking with Best Western again.

Room Tip: Up grading to a "pool side" room does not give you room access to the pool - only the view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Connie J
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and thank you for the comments about the property itself and our great associates. I am glad that you enjoyed both during your stay with us.

As you and I discussed, you had booked and paid for your trip directly through Universal Studios. After discussing the issue with them, they told me that their reservations agent had failed to notify you of the pet charges that do apply to your reservation and had they done that, they would have collected the fees upfront and the issue of collecting the payment upon arrival to the hotel would not have been an issue. Both Universal Studios and I apologize for the issue and I have been told that some retraining will occur at their end so that we do not encounter the confusion in the future. State and county taxes amounted to the additional sixty and sixty five cents per day charges that you encountered on your bill and I apologize that we did not make you aware that all charges did not include tax.

As you and I discussed, I have sent you a refund for the pet portion of your stay and hope that in the future, you will give us an opportunity of again providing you with great customer service and comfortable accommodations.

Cheddleton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2012

we were on 6th floor, room was good beds and pillow sooo comfy, lots of nice clean towels and liked having 2 sinks one in bathroom and one in bedroom.housekeeping good i accidently left do not disturb sign on door and they leave message asking if you want towels etc. restaurant good ate there once and deli is fab - lovely sandwiches,salads and breakfast items. reception always smiley and security- both helped me with directions .pool and hot tubs good and pool towels supplied.convenient for theme parks and restaurants.loved our stay here only thing i would say is need more drawers in bedroom-wardrobe great but if 3 or 4 people in room need more drawer space .flatscreen tv huge and good having microwave and fridge

thanks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am happy to see that you found our full service property clean and comfortable and our associates friendly and helpful. You mentioned the double vanities in our rooms and that is one feature that people just love about our property, it's always easy to get ready for your busy day when there is room in front of the mirror!

Once again thank you for your review, I will pass on your kind comments to our staff. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I had prepared myself for the property to be a mediocre experience based off of reviews and photos here. However, besides the room having a slightly mildewy smell, that totally disappeared once the air ran a bit, the room was great. I didn't hear any noise from our neighbors, it was cleaned when we returned, and the day I put the do not disturb sign on the door, housekeeping still left a message to check if we needed any towels. It was ridiculously close to Universal Studios and Wet N' Wild, plus if you were driving it was pretty close to the expressway. The staff were all super nice, including security who had to be some of the friendliest people we met in Florida.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cancanthebaby
Thank you for your recent review of our property near Universal Studios. It is always a pleasure to hear back from our guests who found our property to be clean and comfortable and our associates friendly and helpful! I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all of our associates during our next staff meeting.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel has a good location. So close to Universal Studios that we were able to come back in the afternoon to enoy the pool while the parks became so busy. After dinner we went back to Universal to see a few more attractions and the crowd was much more tolerable. Walgreens, 7-11, and IHOP are all within walking distance and that was an added bonus. The staff has been very kind to us and very helpful. Everyday our room was cleaned and we had freash towels, We weren't sure what to expect but were pleased and will come here again when visiting this area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dana1403
Thank you for your review of our property on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed our property's location and that you found the time to relax and enjoy the pool! I will pass on your kind comments about our associates to them at our next staff meeting, they love to hear the good stuff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

General Manger