Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
$209
$191
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$279
$127
$187
  • Restaurant
Caribe Royale Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$138
  • Restaurant
Marriott's Grande Vista(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$145
$326
$303
Hotwire.com
3,510 results
All reviewskona cafevolcano poolhawaii buildingmagic kingdomgreat ceremonial housedole whiptransportation centertonga toastepcot monorailohana restaurantoasis poolcapt cookscinderella's castledisney worlddvc studioseven seas lagoonclub level
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Our family won a 4 night, 5 day trip to Orlando! We were informed that we were staying at the Polynesian. I didn't know what the Polynesian was or anything about it. Therefore, I did some computer search - mainly Trip Advisor - to find out more about the Polynesian. First of all I couldn't believe that there could be a resort so highly recommended and praised as it was. However, after spending four nights there, I can truly tell any reader that it was better then I thought. Here is a brief summary of our Polynesian experience.

Day one - Arrived at 12:00 noon. Told that our room was cleaned and waiting for us. We were in Tuvula house overlooking the lake and across from the MK. First thing that hit me when we arrived was the smell of flowers and the sound of waterfalls. Your senses are going wild with all of the new stimulation. It was wonderful!
My older boys rented a speed boat, $30 for 1/2 hour. (a bit expensive, I think)
We had tickets for the 8 p.m. lula. It was great! The show was worth the price. There was this one singer, the big Hawaiian guy who was star quality - wish I knew his name. The dancers and fire throwers were awesome. Food was excellent too! The pinneapple coconut bread is to die for. I asked for the reciepe and they gave it to me!

Day two - I noticed lizzards everywhere. They were only 2 inches long but were all around the marina sunnning themselves. They will run off when you approach. Also on Day 2 we ate at the Kona Cafe. I have read so much about the Tonga Toast, that I just had to try it. Well, it was wonderful! Muffins are so awesome!

We had supper at the Captian Hook cafe. The prices were high, but cheaper than the other restuarants at the Polynesian. The food was good and the portions were hugh. One thing I want to say is that I read many reports suggesting to buy the refillable mugs for 11.99. I saw the size of the mug and decided against it. The mugs were dinky! I found out that the coke cups were refillable too! (much cheaper)

Day three - we spent all day and afternoon at the parks. However, we did have reservations for the O'Hana's . This restuarante is well worth the money. They sing songs all ngiht and play little games with the children. The food was non-stop. Morris was our waiter and he was so nice.

Day four - Did some shopping at the resort. I found a shirt for only $19.00. Other shirts were much more expensive.

I haven't mentioned this yet... but the water at the Polynesian is "fishy". I called it pond scum water. My stomach couldn't tolerate it. So I was drinking the bottled water for $2.50. Advice - If you are sentisitive to taste in water - bring your own to the Polynesian.

Day five - packing up to go home - check out time is 11:00 a.m. We still had a park to visit and a plane to catch at 6:00 p.m. The resort was able to accomodate us by stashing our luggage until we returned to hop on a bus to the airport.

To the readers - please note that yes there are flowers and plants everywhere at the Polynesian. However, I curious about how the lush green plants under the dark entrance roof of the resort could grow. I felt the leaves and found that they were plastic! So maybe all is not as it apprears, but it will make for a great vacation.

24  Thank goqueen
A TripAdvisor Member
Prairieville, La.
Reviewed May 30, 2006

What a great 5 days. We arrived around 10:30 a.m. May 24th. What a grand entrance!!!
I think they must pipe the smell of Hawaii through hidden pipes. (After all-this is Disney)
Just getting back from Hawaii in January. Could not believe the grounds, and smells
throughout the Poly. There was no one in line at check in. The most friendly faces awaiting
us. A wonderful guy training a new employee, notice we were near his hometown
of New Orleans. He talked of how he missed the crawfish since Hurricane Katrina, and
allot more small talk. He stated our room was not ready, as we arrived early, but we
were given our card (room key and park passes). We were told he had given us
a free upgrade. ( We had paid for the garden view). We were told to call a # in the afternoon. Around 4:00 we called and were told we were in the Hawaii building,
Room 3513. (Well 13 was not the unlucky # this time). Concierge building, 3rd floor a
panaramic view of the Seven Seas Lagoon, directly across from the Castle. I still think I'm dreaming could not have believed our luck. This was a dream come true. We felt so special
the 5 night we were there. The food was excellent. The service 1st class (of course).
The transportation was perfect. We must have had a horse shoe, a rabbits foot or some
sort because we never waited long for a bus, monorail or the boats.
we had planned on using the car somewhat, but we never needed it. The concierge
service was so usefull. Running around at the parks all day, you stayed hungry, the Continental Breakfast, Refreshments, Wine/Cheese, Dinner, Cordials and Desserts were
a real treat to look forward to everyday. The maids service was always ready to please,
the pool area/bar/lounges perfect. My teens loved the arcade, and easy access to the parks. We eat several times at the Kona Cafe, the Tonga Toast to die for, the desserts and the Big Kahona Burger mouth watering. The staff was so nice. It is always so great to be on vacation and have the staff show how much they love their jobs. If you are thinking of staying here. You will be very pleased and able to relax at this resort. The rooms are great. We were like 4 adults ( two teens age 14,19) with a ton of room. Large bathroom,
lots of extras. ! Mahalo!

23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2006

Sunday, April 30th we arrived at Orlando airport after a long flight, but a pleasant one with Canjet. If you do not know Orlando airport (which I did not, but hubby did thankfully), it can be a bit confusing. There are no real directions once you enter the terminal with your bags. You must get onto a monorail type train and go to the main terminal to check in with Disney Magical Express. There was quite a line for it. You are given a bus to take, each bus stops at three or four hotels in its general area. We stopped at all in the Magic Kingdom area. The driver was fiendly and welcomed us all aboard. We watched a movie which kept the kids happy....just a brief orientation of what to expect at Disney World.

When we pulled up to the Polynesian, because I was there when I was 9 or 10, I was probably more excited than anyone. There are more cars parked along the front area due to a re-structure of the transportation system. After walking into the front lobby however, I thought I was in the South Pacific. The smells and sights are so beautiful. We were greeted with leis -pink and white and the boys were delighted. The boys are 7 and 10. I thought the 10 year old would be past getting excited over something like that, but he loved it all, they both did. We did not receive any welcoming drinks (little parched after the long flight(s). We were one of the first in line, so we did not have to wait long.
We got one of the more friendly front desk personel. He gave us the perfect room in the Samoa Building, second floor over looking the pool. We were only there for one night and let him know that it was a stay there (before going to the Coronado Springs for the week which is in the Animal Kingdom area), for sentimental reasons. We paid for a garden view and got the upgrade for free. We could see the Magic Kingdom (if you leaned and really looked - you mainly see the tip of the castle as the rest is covered in a treed area). We could also see the beach and the light show on the lagoon. We got our room right away
Really was the perfect room, as the kids could go to the pool and swim and we could sit on the balcony or room and keep an eye on them. The room itself was quite large. There were two queen beds and a really nice bathroom done in marble. The toilet area was in behind a large double sinked area. We had a flat screen tv, mini fridge, lots of closet space and an eating area in front of the balcony area.
We mainly stayed right at the pool ( a whole 30 second walk!) The pool bar is right there and we ventured down the water slide - I loved it and I usually don't like rides etc. There was no wait service, just self serve, but the drinks were very nice.....mine....marguarita slushy, perfect as the sun was hot, 32 I think. We did not go to any of the parks that day as we did not arrive until 2pm. Our bags were not delivered until 7 pm and that was a problem as we had dinner reservations at 7:15p.m. at Ohana's.
Once we complained four times, our bags showed up. We quickly changed (take your bathing suits and essentials in your carry on- we did because we were preparing for lost baggage or late baggage) and made it to Ohana's. Wow, talk about service. The food was incredible and our waiter (wish I could remember his name) was amazing. The salad, when it comes looks average, but the lime dressing was a hit with the kids, us, well everyone....everyone was digging in to their salads. I have not looked on the website, but if they have the recipee, grab it! We next were served shrimp, bread, huge drinks (at our request in pineapples) and then the meat started coming. Chicken, the best steak I have tasted in a long time, sausage, turkey, pork...have I missed an animal here?! It was all so good, and they just keep bringing it. The desert was really good. A banana bread pudding or something like that. This was our best dining experience in Disney and we dined for 8 days three times a day as we had the dining plan.
So much food. Prepare to put on a few and to be full for a week. I think that meal alone would have kept us going for another day. There is entertainment in the restaurant too. A woman garbed in Polynesian dress, gets the kids up and they have coconut races, hula lessons and they parade through the restaurnat while you dine. the kids both loved it. Our ten year old did not get up right away, but could not help himself after a while, he had a great time. The windows in the restaurant allow you to see the parade of lights out on the water at 9 pm (changes time some nights apparently) and then the fireworks at Magic Kingdom can be seen as well. On the Sunday we were there, the fireworks were not on. I have noticed on the weekends, they do not always run at Magic Kingdom, you can get a schedule on the website.
We had breakfast by roomservice - had Mickey pancakes etc. Was o.k.., but very expensive for what I got. This by the way is the only place (Polynsian)where I enjoyed the coffee at Disney. Has a nutty taste to it, dark and wonderful.
I have seen many complain about the size of the pool on the website. I think it is adequate as many are not there during the day all day, as they are at the parks. It was busy - but certainly not overcrowded. At 2:30pm we had no trouble getting pool towles and a lounge chair under an umbrella. We could lie on the beach as well, although you do not want to swim in the water there, pretty murky and the ferry comes along here with its fuel etc. Pretty beach area though.

The grounds were immaculate and lush. I have been to Fiji, Hawaii and Cook Islands and this place did mimic it. I found the international workers extremely hard working, friendly and wanted to help in any way they could. They Americans who worked there were not always friendly however. I found this to be the same in all of Disney World. This is one complaint that we had in general.

We did do the Luau (sp?) on another night (when we were not staying at the Coronado)and although cheesey, was great for the kids. Our server wanted to be any place but there. He was mid 50's and had run out of patience in his 30's I think. The food was not very good. The veggies were o.k., but the rice ....well no one ate it. the chicken was not eaten and the ribs were just o.k. the bread was stale, had a nice taste (coconut?) and when we asked for butter, we got a roll of the eyes and 3 butters in packets were tossed on our table quite a while later for the four of us. Our youngest got chicken nuggest and they were soggy wet and his hotdog had no condiments) The fire dancer was great, but all in all, it you don't have kids who want to see it, I would give this a miss.

The gift shops were well stocked at this resort. We got the usual Disney trophies, hats, tees, pens, etc.

The monorail system is perfect here. you wait maybe 10 minutes for one to come along. It is quite an experience in itself. The other transportation system was well set-up. Why would anyone complain about a ten minute wait for a bus. We did hear people complaining and tried to ignore it. Patience people!!!! Ten minutes is not a lifetime. You can get to anywhere from here. All of the resorts are the same. The kids always asked the bus driver his/her name and thought it was really cool when they came over the loud speaker to talk to the guests on the bus, some of them had great personalities, one even played trivia games with everyone regarding Disney.

Alll in all - it was a wonderful trip. Polynesian was wonderful. I would not spend that kind of money to stay all week when most of the time was to be at the parks, but to spend a day, evening and morning as we did, it was all worth it.

If you have any questtions regarding Polynesian or Disney's Coronado Springs, don't hesitate to email us.
pathways@eastlink.ca

Enjoy....

• Stayed: April 2006
25  Thank trip-together
A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2006

We stayed at Disney's Polynesian Resort the week of April 16- 22 (Easter week and VERY busy). All I can say is WOW!! There were 5 of us(2 adults and 3 kids, 10,5 & 2) and we fit very comfortably in the room.

The entire staff was very very friendly, my 5 yr old loved saying "aloha" back to all the cast memebers she passed. The grounds are breath taking, the resort is very well maintained, very clean ( I am especially picky to the little details and was very pleased). I have visited several different Disney resorts and this is by far my favorite. Have a charector breakfast at Ohana's you will not be disappointed. The charectors were everywhere, and the food was sooo delicious. I never had a family style meal before and was very pleased. The kids marching around with instraments with the charectors was great, they had a blast.

The pool area wasn't as croweded as I thought it would be which was nice. My daughter loved the water slide while my son (2 yrs old) wouldn't stop playing in the sand on the beach. We had a Magic Kingdom view. I thought that we would maybe have an ok view of at least the top of the MK so we could see the fireworks but was I surprised. The view was spectactular! The MK was right in front of us, no trees in the way and my kids are still talking about the great fireworks we saw each night over the Magic Kingdom from our room. Overall, this resort is a little pricey but it is defitnally worth every penny. If you want a beautiful, clean spacious place to stay then this is your best bet. You can't get any better. Service is great from the moment you step foot in the resort to the second you check out. They are very detailed orienated and always trying to make your stay the best.

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2006

We just returned from a week at Disney, Staying at the Polynesian. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Disney resorts, this is one of the two original resorts on the Disney property. The other being the Contemporary resort. The polynesian was completely renovated in the late 90's and they are currently ubdergoing another round of renovations. The renovated rooms are very nice, providing all the amenities that you would expect for a disney deluxe hotel. The beds were SO comfortable! There was internet and telephone connections for those who can't stop working on vacation! Flat screen televisions and ceiling fans. The decor was typical disney, themed polynesia to match the hotel...but tastefully done.
The polynesian is a large complex. The original "long houses" are three stories tall (the smoking house is only two). The rooms on the first floor have patios, the rooms on the second floor have balconettes (no balconies!) and the rooms on the third floor have balconies. The three long houses that were added after the original (Tokelau, Tahiti and Rapa Nui) have balconies on the second AND third floors.
If you are planning on staying with children this is a great resort to choose! Not only is it located on the monorail loop to the Magic Kingdom, it's also directly adjacent to the ticket and transportation center, meaning it is a easy walk to catch the monorail to Epcot.
The Polynesian has two pools, a themed pool (a volcano with water slide) and a "quiet" pool (a regular pool). If you have children that like to swim I'd suggest that you request a longhouse near the pools. Samoa is located directly in between the quiet pool and the volcano pool. If you are traveling with adults only, the longhouses located on the other side of the marina, such ad Fiji, Tuvalu, and Aotearoa offer quieter accomidations. The room views are determined by your class; Standard view = parking lot, garden view = lanscaping and pool views, lagoon view = beaches and lagoon views and Magic Kingdom view = Cinderella's castle. Note, the Hawaii longhouse which has some of the best views of the magic kingdom on the lagoon side is now all concierge, so it you want this view expect to pay a premium. Of course the beach directly in front is open to all resort guests. It's a perfect place to watch the fireworks over the magic kingdom!
All the hotels in the "deluxe" catagory are expensive. If your able to do it, you won't be sorry.
For more information, google tikiman2001 You'll find an unofficial guide to the polynesian. We found it to be extremely helpful.
Enjoy your stay!