“birthday celebration”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #89 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Iowa
Reviewed October 22, 2004

We just celebrated my son's 11 th birthday at DisneyWorld. We stayed at the Polynesian in the Fiji longhouse. What a magical time! He requested that we have his birthday dinner at O'Hanas and it was wonderful. Our server Cousin Joe came to our table when my son had left to go to the restroom and said "I noticed he was checking his blood sugar, for birthday's we usually bring a cupcake to the table and wondered if that was all right?" I explained that I had ordered a caked ahead of time as this was a special celebration and we planned ahead so he could enjoy a piece of cake. (My son was diaganosed with diabetes two years ago the day after his ninth birthday) Well he brought out the cake and with a group of other "cousins" they serenaded him with Happy Birthday! What a truly heart warming moment that was. Nobody does it better than Disney and for him to notice what my son was doing and be concerned enough to ask, made me know this was "the perfect place to celebrate!"

• Stayed: October 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,372)

Reviewed September 27, 2004

I thought the poly was great. My daughter(8) loved the pools and the slide in the volcano pool. The views from the pool and beach were spectaculer of magickingdom ect... transpertation was great from hotels and parks.also the food and entertainment were great even during hurrican jean.Cant go wrong here. I stayed in the somoa building it was great..MY WIFE LOVED THE SHOPS ECT...Stayed from 9/19-9/27

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 22, 2004

My fiancee and I had a wonderful time at the Polynesian. The lei you receive when you check in was an added touch that made us feel like we were in Hawaii! We stayed in a concierge room in the Hawaii Longhouse. The extras were really nice like beer and wine in the evening and breakfast in the morning.

Our room was lagoon view. Watching fireworks over Cinderella's Castle and the electric water pagent made me feel like a kid again! The monorail so was so convenient for visiting restaurants and shops at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian. We also rented a pontoon boat and water mice and did some golfing. There is so much to do in Disney besides the parks, a week is not really enough to experience it all.

I just loved the tropical ambience of the Polynesian. We have stayed at the Yacht Club and though it was nice, it could not really compare to the feeling we got staying at the Polynesian.

It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to stay here, and it really lived up to my expectations. Believe it or not, we had the most fun at the water parks! I have been to the Magic Kingdom so many times it seems it may have lost some of its appeal to me over the years. I still love Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain, but something about just sitting in an inner tube while floating down the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon really did it for me! LOL. We also loved Downtown Disney.

Getting back to the Poly- We ate at Ohana (awesome) and had drinks at Tambu Lounge. We also dined at California Grill at the Contemporary- GREAT!

I just loved the torch lit pathways at the Poly. So romantic! Stolls on the beach and by the pool were the best ever!

We were there one week from Sept 10-17. Though this hotel is quite expensive (especially if you are staying concierge with a lagoon view) its worth every penny! Some people don't like Disney and say its overpriced and too crowded- I beg to differ. You just have to know when to go and what to do. It has some great hotels, restaurants, and recreation!

Just because you're an adult with no children and in your late 20's does not mean you can't have a blast at Disney World!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2004

Fabulous! We stayed from Aug 20-24 in the Hawaii Concierge building. I have never been on a more enjoyable vacation. We traveled with 3 children and 6 adults on an anniversary trip and loved every minute of it. The service was great. The accomodations were wonderful and the resort was amazing. I highly recommend the Polynesian and look forward to my next trip back.

3  Thank KATHIFROMNY
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed September 10, 2004

The Polynesian is great for families. Whenever we needed anything they got it to us fast. We checked in in 20 minutes. Conceirge is great to grab food to go. Awesome place and since the Mk is right across from it you can see the fireworks!!! I highly recommend this place.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 10, 2004

I have stayed at many Disney resorts, and looked forward to this the most; however, it was the worst. The ONLY reason to stay here is the monorail. We booked a particular room and at check in were told we couldn't have it. We were given another room and told we'd be moved the next day. The room we were given the first night had a broken tv and a broken bathroom door (required being opened from the outside, otherwise you were trapped in the bathroom). The "smooth transition" to another room we had been promised the next day was a nearly all day hassle. We had to get up at dawn and repack the entire room. We dragged the luggage all the way back to the lobby to check out and back in again. Then, they did not move us into a new room while we were at Blizzard Beach, as promised. When we got back around midday we were told it would be 4pm before we could get the next room. We were in bathing suits, covered in sunscreen without access to a shower or our luggage. We wasted the whole afternoon arguing with employees in the lobby, whose attitude was the cleaning staff could not be rushed. When we were finally given a new room, it was not the room I'd reserved, but at least the bathroom door opened and the kids could watch tv. The staff was defensive about all of this. NOT disney type service we usually get at the cheaper disney hotels. Nice pool, nice view of the castle, but NOT worth the money or effort. Never again for us.

• Stayed: August 2004
10  Thank Beckyf
Reviewed September 7, 2004

Stayed at the Poly from Aug 21-28, 2004. We had also heard about some rooms being damaged because of Charley. We checked in very early (6 am) because we wanted the best shot at getting a room we really wanted (and we also needed our tickets!) We requested 1st or 3rd floor Samoa, volcano side. We had been assigned 2nd floor (but they don't have balconies.) We kindly asked them to check again. We were able to get our 1st floor, volcano side Samoa, but we had to wait until 5:30 pm because that room had a late check out that day. It was worth the extra 2 hr wait! The room was beautiful (1608 as it turned out) (garden view). (And no wait for check in at 6 am!) Everyhting was new and renovated. The only downside was that the sink, toilet and shower are all in one room.The room was a great location; the kids loved the pool! The quiet pool was on the other side of our longhouse. We were close to everything. Our housekeeper was great too. I must admit, some of the rooms are far flung and we wouldn't have enjoyed our stay half as much in one of those rooms. My other thing with the Poly is that they really need to get a hot tub, esp. considering it's a deluxe resort. But, you can't beat the convenience of the monorail, esp. with 3 year olds! And the ambience is nice too! We actually never ate at any of the restaurants, since we are somewhat picky eaters and the menus seemed a little too "exotic" for us. All in all, we would go back!

• Stayed: August 2004