“Don't expect the Ritz...but it's a great place.”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #91 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from four days at the Polynesian-Feb.4-8. There is a lot of construction going on there right now, but we were not bothered by it. It's exciting to know that some changes are ahead! The Polynesian is old, that's a fact, and a lot of the buildings are showing some serious wear and tear. For me, that really doesn't detract from the wonderful character of this place. It's a soothing, relaxing and fun place to be. The lobby is always such a welcoming place to come back to. If you take the time to slow down and really enjoy the amazing plants, and listen to the waterfall, it just erases stress. There is always a lot of chaos going on all around the Disney property, but it's easy to find quiet spots at the Poly.
I must say, I hate the dining plan at Disney. It has really put a damper on dining around Disney, in my opinion it has lowered the quality of the service and food, as restaurants are constantly in a mad frenzy to serve a never ending barrage of people. Why do I bring that up?
The dining plan has a constant stream of LOUD, large parties lining up in the upstairs area of the lobby, waiting to dine at 'Ohana. I think that it is unfortunate that there are not seats left open for resort guests, on a walk-up basis. Isn't part of the fun and convenience of staying at a hotel with a restaurant, being able to not have to leave property to dine?? The dining plan has forced you to have to make reservations in order to eat at any table service restaurant. I am not a reservations lover, I like to fly by the seat of my pants, and this just annoys me.

I strayed, so let me just say this: I can understand how people paying 350 a night or more to stay here would have high expectations. But you are not paying for the usual high end hotel perks. You're paying to stay on the monorail line, which is crazy convenient, and to stay in the middle of all the action. You can view fireworks from the beach, walk to TTC to hop on monorail to Epcot, ride monorail to Contemporary or Grand FL. for shopping/eating/etc.

Staying at the Polynesian is just fun. It's kitschy and silly, and all the things Disney should be. I love it. If you like to be in the middle of the action, buildings around the volcano pool are for you, like Niue. For those who like more privacy, and a quieter area, Aotearoa is a nice building. The south rooms of Aotearoa have a view of the monorail, which is fun for kids....the north faces a very quiet beach on the lake. It is a short walk to Grand FL from this building, but a long walk to TTC.
The people at the Polynesian are wonderful. Ruth at the front is so sweet, and our housekeeper, Judith was awesome. My daughter looked for her every day, and when we left, gave her a big hug.
The Poly rooms may have a little wear here and there, but we have found ours to be very clean, and comfortable.
We would have a difficult time choosing to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay extra for a lagoon view, you can just grab a hammock or lounge on the beach to vi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ACR37
Write a ReviewReviews (3,438)

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just got back from a 6 days and 5 nights at Disney's Polynesian Resort . Took my two young sons and my wife for a full week of Disney madness for the boys ( ages 4 and 6 ). The boys had a great time of coarse, and so did we watching them. But being someone who traces often for my work ( 4-6 times per month ) I felt like I should write about my experience. I can say that the Polynesian hotel has beautifully landscaped grounds with a very tropical feel but the Hotel rooms and buildings that house the hotel rooms are much like your average to below average roadside motel. For Ultra Premium rates I had expected this to be a very nice hotel.I have paid half as much to stay in some nice NYC hotels and San Francisco Hotels. Very dated buildings, dirty elevators, dated rooms, TV got just basic stations and no Movie channels, dark bathroom, toilet wouldn't flush, ants in our room. My other complaint would have to be the food. It was impossible for us to just walk in ( A very long walk ) to the "quality" restaurant on site and get a table. We were told it would be a 90 minute wait on two of the evenings. The restaurant we could walk in to was terrible- Kiosk ordering of very bland burgers and the worst pizza I have had. On one of the nights I ordered a Pizza from a local Orlando Pizza joint that delivered, that Pizza was great but came to find out they can't deliver to your room or building only to the lobby. The lobby was a 10 minute walk from our room- another real drag.

Disney is one of those places we feel like all of our kids should get to experience but I would not recommend this property. We have been before with our older children and we stayed in Orlando at a chain hotel for probably a third of the price per night and we had many great restaurants to choose form close by. On this most recent trip we were also convinced by Disney that we wouldn't need a car and that all of our transportation would be taken care of by their systems. It was, but it was not convenient. I am not one who likes to spend so much of my day waiting in transportation lines, taking long bus rides that stop at every hotel on the property, then wait again to be picked back up and take another very long bus ride back to the hotel to begin a very long walk back to our room. A couple times there were not even seats on the bus so we had to stand for the long 30 Minute or so ride- Imagine that with two young restless little guys. One bus driver pulled up to our stop that we had been waiting at for 15 minutes or so and said the bus was full and we would have to wait for the next bus which would be by to pick us up in about 20 minutes. GRRR!! If you must stay on the Disney property then I would definitely recommend renting a car so you can control when and where you want to go on property or off. The entire Disney Property is huge and the only advantage to the Polynesian or Contemporary hotel is they are on the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. All the other parks within the Disney property you will have to take a bus, and should allow a lot of extra time to get there and to get back.
Our visit was on the "off season " Jan 31 to Feb 5 and the crowds were not to bad at the park but the transportation was not good. Can't imagine what it could be like during "Peak season".
If your kids are really patient, and you are really patient and have loads of time and money to throw away on an overpriced hotel with bad overpriced food then this is your place, for the rest of you beware!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank fuzzydrums
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We recently stayed here for 5 nights with our 5 and 11 yr old sons. While the price per night is expensive you can't beat what comes with that cost. One night we sat on the beach and watched the Magic Kingdom fireworks while a kids movie played on an outdoor screen. Transportation to the parks is a breeze....monorail stops right at the front door as well as the buses to connect you to the other parks. Staff is super friendly and helpful...they actually seem like they like their jobs. Do I wish it didn't cost >$350 per night, yes, but you sure get a lot of conveniences and perks for that price.

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MelissaEl
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We love WDW and the Polynesian was a very nice resort although the extra cost for the concierge rooms was not at all worth it. The food quality was poor and the selection of food very limited. It was rather disappointing. I could have brought my own cookies and milk from the grocery store -- it would have been better. I was so surprised when I asked for water and they offered me tap water -- not even able to obtain a bottle of water ... Yes, really!

We were in the Hawaii Bldg and the room was quite nice -- spacious and clean with a nice view. We did the luau -- which was fun and entertaining. The service

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SNCMC
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was a mother/daughter trip and the first time we have stayed at the Polynesian. I was a bit nervous as the reviews are all over the place. Our stay was from Jan 9-16. We stepped off the Magical Express to a group of smiling cast members all bidding Aloha with huge smiles and friendly waves! One cast member (cm) escorted us from the bus to the check in desk. On the way we passed beautiful landscaping, waterfalls, water fountains, tiki torches, beautiful flagstone floors, and a light, wonderful, floral frangrance. There are these "tiki gods" (this is my description, not sure what they are officially called) all over the place. They are huge and doing funny things. Very creative and funny Disney! Check-in was smooth. Took about 10 minutes. We both recieved a pink lei. They do offer early check-in online, but I could get it to work. Kept telling me the site was down. I tried for several days without success.
We were in the Niue (new'ee) building room 1706. I won't go into the layout of the resort as others have done a wonderful job. The room key only has to be held against a small pad on the door to unlock it. Very convenient and so much easier than the old way. There are plenty of pictures of the room so I won't go into details other than to say that the pictures can not capture how large they are! There are so many cute themeing items too. We just loved it! We have stayed in many Disney resorts in all catagories and this was one of our favorites. Maybe even better than the Grand Floridian! We had a ground floor room with a patio and chairs and the quiet pool was very close. The beds were very comfortable and so were the feather pillows. There is extra bedding in both closests as well as a mini fridge and a safe. the safe is a good size. Not sure if you could get a laptop in it, but my daughters notebook fit with plenty of room for anything else you would want to put in it. Nice toiletries with a grapefruit and bergamot frangrance. They sell larger sizes in the gift shop. I can't begin to describe all the beautiful vegitaion. Trees with large flowers, hibiscus, bamboo...it just goes on and on. The beach is lovely and a great place to watch Wishes from. Try to get there early and grab a hammock. They do movies and campfires on the beach every evening. No charge! Housekeeping was very good. I don't know if Disney is cutting back on the towel animals. We had the mickey icon twice and a manta ray once. They were not something you could take home. Just sort of arranged on the bed. That has always been something we looked foreward too. We even left $10 tips, but no luck. My only complaint is the lack of signs. The ones they do have are not very clear in the way the arrow points, and some signs are not even there. Our building had no sign. We pointed this out to cm, so we will see if it gets one.
Overall this is a lovely resort and I would highly recommend it to anyone for any reason!

2  Thank Nurseratchet
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Took my family of five to Disney World and stayed at the Polynesian. It was a great trip. The staff, room, and restaurants were excellent. It certainly wasn't "inexpensive" but my wife & kids loved the setting. We've previously stayed Disney moderates and the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian was definitely our favorite. I doubt we'll stay anywhere else on our future trips to Disney. The rooms are much larger and nicer than the moderates and the parking is much more convenient than at the Grand Floridian. I would say the best part was both restaurants and the convenient access to the monorail.

Room Tip: Third floor Tokelau has great balcony view of the "quiet pool."
1  Thank LJMQZ
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Yes, this place is expensive but I really enjoyed it for multiple reasons:
1. Best location. Close to TTC. Has boat to MK. Monorail-awesome
2. Best food. Loved Kona for breakfast. Great quick service in comparison to other deluxe resorts
3. Beaches for relaxing, watching fireworks
4. Atmosphere - you feel like you're in the islands. It's like a bonus vacation on top of Disney.
I don't know if we'll splurge here again but am glad we experienced it!

2  Thank arr1610