New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #99 of 333 Hotels in Orlando
Philadelphia, PA
“Great location and fun pool area.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We are currently staying at the Poly. I was a bit nervous after reading some reviews but so far so good. Room is large with a nice view of the Magic Kingdom. My young son loves the beach area. The landscaping is great, it actually feels like vacation. The only issue has been housekeeping. We checked in to find crumbs from the previous occupant all over the floor.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank nydisneygirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

It's my second visit to the Polynesian and my decision to come back was 100% based on the fact that this property is on the two monorail (Epcot and Magic Kingdom).

For the rest, it's expensive without any of the personal touch that a 500$/night hotel should provide. I wouldn't call it dirty but again with so many peoples, it's hard to keep it clean.

Our room was in the furthest building possible in relation to the Epcot monorail and I did ask for a room closer, but it seemed very complicated to the young lady at the front desk.

In my two inquiries to the concierge desk, I again got a sense that they weren't really concierges. They couldn't recommend a restaurant, they didn't have any pull to get you into one if you had one in mind and they didn't really know how to reach the Florida Turnpike without a long detour offered by Google map.

The room was comfortable, the cleaning staff in our building were nice and my 11 year old daughter loved her time at Disney, so at the end of the day, that's the important part for me.

In parting, is there one middle age woman left in Florida that will thank you when your opening/holding the door for her ? I was amazed all week at Disney how small courtesies are gone from our every day lives. I kept holding doors for woman all week and not one was raised properly and said thank you...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lcf2001
Stafford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have stayed at many of the other Disney resorts, but this one is by far our personal favorite. We stayed there for our Disney wedding & honeymoon, and were treated like royalty! We were given a free upgrade to a Club Level MK View room in Hawaii building, which was so nice to have the food and drink available right outside our bedroom door 24/7. Of course, it was pricey if not getting the room on a discount or offer, but it was nice to enjoy the convenience of it to see how we liked it. There was no wait to get breakfast or a snack, so the convenience was perfect but the offerings weren't the best if you are a picky eater, but the basics were available with some additional treats and complimentary beer & wine in the evening. We were able to walk right out onto the beach in the evening to watch the fireworks from the hammock which was so romantic and we could walk right up to our room if we needed to! I also enjoyed being able to hear the boats, MK parades and the fireworks from our balcony....so DISNEY! Then on one night we stayed in the Honeymoon Suite which was also very romantic. The layout of the room is completely different from the standard rooms and had different decor [more of an updated polynesian as opposed to classic]. The jacuzzi has a window that opens into the bedroom and the bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in! The bed in the club level room however needed improvement as it was very firm and the pillows weren't the bed and the sheets more like paper. Trip was in October 2011, but TA won't let me select '11... but wanted to provide my review

Room Tip: Magic Kingdom View and a balcony!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda A
Rota, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel and grounds were beautiful and beyond comfortable, which is why I left it a 3 star. However, all aspects of customer service did not meet the expectations of a deluxe resort. DINING: My family and I were upset to discover that the sit down restaurants inside the hotel were solidly booked with reservations for both lunch and dinner our entire stay, some did not take walk ins at all.Being a hotel guest did not have any bearing on restaurant availability at all.
CONCIERGE: The concierge desk misquoted the theme park ticket rates and was not familiar with all the standard discount ticket options. They also did not mention at checkin or at any of our other visits that reservations for dining were practically mandatory.
HOUSEKEEPING: We notified housekeeping of soiled sheets that needed to be changed. 3 hours later, this was not done. When called, housekeeping stated the job's scheduled time had not arrived and someone should be arriving within 15 minutes. I thought that an over 3 hours wait for a bed change (in the evening) should have warranted a phone call of what to expect.
The Polynesian did not deliver on its deluxe resort title and disgraced the Disney fame of customer service.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Caren J
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Everything was falling apart and stains on bedspread(gross) Lobby in need of repair. Hubby went to the lobby restroom and he said it was filthy. We walked the ground and saw lots of items in need of repair. Hotel needs to be leveled and start over. Memories of my childhood were abandoned by what I saw. I left the hotel right away after I saw the room and changed hotels. Instead of buying lucas studios, they should renovate what they have.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lizz123
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just returned from our first Disney trip as a family. Several friends told us to go with the Polynesian or the Contemporary for the easy access to Magic Kingdom. We went with the Polynesian because we thought it would be more kid-friendly. Our initial experience at check-in was bad. We arrived an hour before check-in and we told we'd have to wait for our room to come available. However, we ended up waiting over two hours while load after load of people checked in and got rooms. Then, when we were finally checked in, there was no bellman available to cart our luggage to our room (far away!). After glaring at anyone I could for several minutes, someone finally found a bellman to take us to our room. And that brings me to the layout. The Polynesian is spread over a pretty large area and the scenic, winding walkways from one place to the next are confusing at best. It is very easy in some spots to come to an intersection of four walkways, take what appears to be the logical one, and end up somewhere you completely didn't intend to end up. Nighttime compounds the issue. I carried the resort map in my pocket for the first 4-5 days any time I left the room. Sure there are signs pointing toward the main building and the monorail but good luck getting back to your building at night!

Regarding the rooms, they are...okay. They were not bad by any means but certainly nothing special. Think well kept Holiday Inn Express redone in a tropical theme. But our room was clean and housekeeping always did a great job. I was a little letdown by the lack of a microwave but I guess they want you to spend that money at their restaurants!

Food, on the other hand... was...meh. Their marque restaurant, the Ohana was ok-ish but kinda different. We ate there for one of our table service meals. We have kids and they asked for items off the kids menu, which we were assured would be no problem. Only...they never came. We doled out the adult food to them as it came but they weren't satisfied with it. Honestly, neither were we. I'm not familiar with Hawaiian style dining but the restaurant experience was similar to a Brazilian steakhouse, where endless skewers of meat are paraded to your table. However, even though I watched the flames searing the meat no more than 20 feet away, it always was, at best, lukewarm by the time it got to our table. Most of the time, it was just plain cold. And honestly, except for the chicken, the meat was all pretty tough and tasteless. We did get a great basket of rolls...once... The only saving grace was a very nice bread pudding for dessert. It's certainly not a restaurant I would beg to go to again, if I had to pick. And the lines/wait were crazy. The entire week we were at Disney, we never arrived later than ten minutes prior to our reservation time. At Ohana, we were not seated until at least 20 minutes AFTER our reservation, though.

Captain Cooks, the quick service free for all was like some weird off brand fast food joint. Basic sandwiches, salads, flat breads, and kid options. They also had a bakery counter for your desert options. All these deserts were visually enticing but a real letdown when you actually ate them. They were typically a bit tough and flavorless. As for the main "entrees" at Captain Cook...they were standard Disney park fare. I literally ate the same burger and fries at 8 different locations throughout the week.

As for the Kona, I didn't bother because it was always so crowded I couldn't even approach that side of the second floor of the "Great Ceremonial House." What ever they were selling must have been a LOT better than the other two joints.

The saving grace of Polynesian is the Monorail access. If you have kids that want to ride all the rides, you need to get a head start and being at the monorail helped. We actually stayed at the far end of the resort, closest to the TTC, so that we could get to the express monorails to Magic Kingdom and Epcot quicker. For the other parks without monorail access, you have to take the Disney buses. The bus stop is not at the "Great Ceremonial House" but a good deal off from it. We ended up finding it no problem, but again, it seemed like one more unnecessary hurdle.

All in all, its not a bad place to stay. If you are a first timer on a family trip, its worth your while for the easy access to the parks. We only used our car once during the whole week we were there, and that was to grab drinks from the nearest Wal-Mart because we were tired of the long hike to get refillable drinks. By the end of the week, after we'd figured out the general layout of everything, we reasoned we could probably stay somewhere off property next time and get along fine. But all in all, no regrets...

Room Tip: Buildings closer to the TTC will help you get to the monorails faster.
3 Thank WesJ73
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Pros: Great location; beautiful landscaping; room large enough to sleep 5.
The Cons: Stayed in the Hawaii building. The room smelled musty. I took off my shoes and stepped in a pool of water on the carpet in front of the refrigerator. Apparently the cabinet isn't vented so the fridge overheats and melts and pours water on the floor. I took off my socks and went into the bathroom for a towel and stepped on something sharp. Toenail clippings from a previous guest! The safe didn't work. The lightbulbs were not just out, but missing. The ornate dark Tiki-style wood furniture was covered in dust.

We stayed in the Hawaii building and the concierge gave us $50 credit (which Disney STILL hasn't given me according to my credit card and several phone calls to Disney). The Concierge status gives you access to a snack room. Fruit, cereal for breakfast (no eggs or anything enough to make a real breakfast out of it). Afternoon snacks and evening dessert and beer/wine. Sodas, water and coffee are available all day. Be prepared for other people's children to go in line by themselves, touch or cough on all of the food (since it is often unattended by a host), and proceed to load up their plates and then throw 90% of it in the trash while you stand, wishing you had been able to grab one of the last pieces of fruit.

After check-out a staff person told me that the Hawaii building is long overdue for a renovation. I can't speak to the other rooms, but I would avoid that building like the plague until the reno is complete. As for the concierge snack room, I think for the money you'd be better off purchasing your own snacks from one of their restaurants.

Room Tip: Avoid Hawaii building until after renovation.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles