“A Little Bit of Hawaii”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #87 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 6, 2012

One of my favorite Disney Properties. Ambiance abounds. If you spend little or no time in your resort, save some money and go elsewhere. But if you like to enjoy the surroundings, this is the place for you. The pathways are lush and the tikki lights at night are beautiful. Being on the monorail is great and you are just a short walking distance to the Ticket & Transportation Center. Not the newest propery, but very well maintained. Staff was friendly, every greets you with an "Aloha". Rooms were well maintained. We stayed in the Hawaii building (concierge) only due to a free upgrade. Snacks & drinks provided all day with concierge. I would not pay the extra price for that building if I had to pay for it. But you wouldn't need a meal plan if you did. A centrally located building is your best bet. I would stay there anytime I could afford it.

Room Tip: Centrally located building is best bet. Close to main building & close to ticket and transporta...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gigi459

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a wonderful room. The beds are very comfortable. The alarm clock allowed you to dock
your IPhone. The bathroom was huge and immaculate.
We had a view of the second pool from our balcony. The property is lit by torches along the walkways. The main pool is themed as a volcano and our boys loved the water slide. Watching fireworks from the beach allowed even our younger son to view the fireworks since it was such a short walk back to the room afterward. The lobby has the best smell ever. They should bottle the smell. The flowers and trees in the lobby are beautiful. We stayed during Easter break and the Easter bunny even managed to deliver Phineas and Ferb themed baskets for both our boys to our room Easter morning. Being right on the monorail was very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Polynesian in October and really enjoyed its close proximity to Magic Kingdom. We have also stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and enjoyed its pool area more. This pool area was nice, but it was hard for parents to see their kids in the pool due to all the vegetation and location of the volcano.
Our room was in the Hawaii building was a Club room, so we had breakfast and snacks throughout the day. I did really enjoy their extra turndown/maid service in the evenings. Also, having the concierge service to book meals, etc. was a huge plus. The view of Cinderella's castle was spectacular for the daily fireworks and the light show on the lake. The room was wider than our room at Animal Kingdom Lodge and it had a comfy pull out bed for our 3rd child.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the castle
1  Thank redwinedarkchoc
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent a week at Disney's Polynesian Resort in July, 2012. My daughter and I took my 91 year old mom in celebration of her birthday. We requested the Samoa building, first floor and our request was granted. The location made it easier, as my mom was in a wheelchair most of the time. We had a great room facing the "volcano pool". The small lanai was perfect for my mom to sit out and enjoy "people watching". Access to the monorail made getting around very easy, and the staff were very accommodating and helpful when getting my mom on and off the monorail and buses. I have no complaints at all. Everything was perfect!

Room Tip: The Samoa building is pretty close to the main building but also near the pool and Captain Cook'...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pat F
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property is our very favorite place to stay at Disney World. I have stayed here many, many times since our first stay in 1990 and although, like everything else, the price has risen, I've still thought it was worthwhile. The location is perfect. We always request a building and floor location and although we understand it is not guaranteed, we usually get our request.

On this most recent stay, we had a group of 9 staying in 2 connecting rooms. We were happy with our ground floor location. We were there for a Halloween Party and the Food and Wine festival and luckily, we were there during the free dining plan. Everything about our stay was perfect except our Mousekeeping staff. It's amazing how one person being rude can put a damper on a vacation. I know this is unusual that's why I still rated the Polynesian as good, rather than give a lower rank.

The grounds of the Polynesian are beautiful, it is a restful place to stay. The room was clean and of a good size, our Mousekeeper was just rude.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I booked the Polynesian for a quick surprise trip for friends. We stayed just three days. The overall experience was very relaxing. The nicest part was the view. The next best part was the location of my longhouse - just a 5 min walk out the side door to the Transportation and Ticket Center and, therefore, the monorail to Epcot.

Overall I think the Polynesian experience is a little dated with the "Tiki" phase from decades ago. You kind of need to be of a certain age and/or into this type of look to really find it charming today. This said, the location and water views of both fireworks and the lagoon "water electric parade" from your own balcony or porch at night can't be beat. I even had a little hammock right outside my sliding glass doors. Without a doubt, this was the most relaxing stay I've had at a Disney resort just from the atmosphere.

The room was quite large and easily slept five. The couch turns into a twin daybed in a flash that one of our party said was very comfortable. While the bathroom has a huge vanity with double sinks, it is a disadvantage for a mixed party that the sinks are in the same space as the bath and WC. Also, similar to the rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, this bathroom has rather dim light which can be problematic in the makeup department.

In the area of "Mouse"keeping, the bathroom was spotless and we had plenty of towels, shampoo, and soap. On the other hand, the carving of the headboard in my room was quite dusty. I'm sure having such details in the room makes things problematic and that deep cleaning doesn't happen often, but it was a detail I noticed. An update to the room decor could fix this problem.

Service was, as usual, up to Disney standards. I used online checkin and, therefore, got the "concierge" check-in experience. I arrived before 9am due to an early flight and while Disney doesn't guarantee your room will be ready until 3pm. In spite of this, my room was ready to go when I arrived. I used the Disney express this trip as well and had not a problem at all with transport or baggage.

As previously mentioned, location is superior with regard to transportation. Not only does the resort have a monorail stop of it's own, but long-houses toward the east side of the resort also have a short walk on a marked and lighted walkway to the Epcot monorail at the Transportation and Ticket Center. This also means that if you have a dinner reservation at another resort, you can walk just a little more and catch a direct bus to anywhere on Disney property in a flash -- a benefit you won't get at another Disney World location. Another note, the resort has its own dedicated boat back and forth to the Magic Kingdom. As a result I had the fastest transit times to MK of any of the resorts I have stayed at so far (though I am sure the short walk from the Contemporary and/or Bay Lake Tower would be close).

Food and drink at the Polynesian was confined to quick service for my trip. The flatbread was quite good and others in our party said the pork sandwich was tasty. Everyone, of course, loved the Dole Whip station. We also had a few of the cupcakes and they got from good to wonderful on the rating scale.

A final note with regard to ratings below. I note a rating for the Spa. The Polynesian does not have its own spa but if you like you may make reservations at the Spa at Saratoga. If you do, they send a special car to pick you up instead of taking bus transport. When you're done with your appointment(s) they will have someone else come to pick you up and return you to the Polynesian. My experience at Saratoga for a mani-pedi was very good, and the transport was a real added bonus! I imagine that those staying at Polynesian normally go to the spa at the Grand Floridian, but it is currently under renovation.

Some might argue price on this resort and I couldn't disagree. I, once again, had the luck of an annual pass-holder price or I might not have tried this resort. Still, the location, extra magic hours for resort guests, the fabulous transport options, the extra little day bed, and the lagoon view were, for me, worth the price. Your milage may vary, but I would recommend the experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amberlee R
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just returned from another great stay at the Polynesian. This my family's favorite of all the Disney hotels. The atmosphere is great and the staff are wonderful. Captain Cooks fast restuarant in the Great Ceremonial Lodge is a great quick choice. Lots of options for even the picky eaters. The closeness to the monorail is worth everything you pay for this hotel choice!!

1  Thank MamaFrank