“Amazing surprise!”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #91 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I had booked our disney vacation at the all star music resort and were soooo excited when we found out we were being upgraded to the Polynesian free of charge! When we arrived at the hotel we were given leis and checked in very quickly. The girl at the front desk ran around the counter when she saw we were taking pictures of the lobby garden so we both could be in the photo. We stayed in the Rapa Nui building which was a bit of a walk to the great ceremonial house but the resort is so beautiful we didn't mind the walk at all. Plus, we were the loosest building to the monorail and ferry stations. Despite being so close to these these the room was quiet. It was clean and very spacious. The washroom was the same thing. The in room safe was digital so. We didn't have to carry around a key which was nice. The staff were sooo friendly and said aloha when you passed by!
The two pools were very nice but we stuck to the smaller one as it was quieter. We had lunch and breakfast at captain cooks and really enjoyed it. The best part of the resort though was getting to watch the magic kingdom fireworks on the beach every night. It was our honeymoon and ended up being soooo perfect and romantic. We are going back to disney again in January and we will be spending the extra money to stay here gin. It's worth it!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kayteemcg
Write a ReviewReviews (3,438)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I remember this hotel being spectacular 20+ years ago, unfortunately it doesn't look like they have remodeled this place since the mid-80's and when you are charging $400+ a night that is unacceptable. In the real world $400+ a night usually gets you immaculate grounds, incredible rooms and impeccable service. At Disney, $400+ a night gets you an outdated 3 star hotel with below average service, and over-priced meals. It is obvious that Disney corporate is trying to milk ever dollar they can out of this place and they know that despite its sub-par accommodations the proximity to the Magic Kingdom means that they can charge super premium prices for an out-dated and often poorly run hotel. If you are ok shelling out $400 a night for the proximity to the park that is fine but don't expect a 4-5 star resort. All that being said, the convenience of the monorail is hard to beat . . . but you pay for it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank blally
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Polynesian is very tired and worn. The people at the concierge desk were NOT helpful when the door to my kids' adjoining room wouldn't lock. The elevators are slow.

It happened on Friday, 10/19. We were leaving for the Magic Kingdom at about 7:00. I made a request to the concierge desk, personally, to please have it fixed before we got back (projected about 10:00, which gave them 3 hours). At 10:15 or so, the kids opened their door. And guess what? It was still broken. I made another urgent request to the concierge desk. At 10:50 my kids could STILL not go to bed. I had to make quite a ruckus to have the door "fixed" again. The person who helped me was snotty and sarcastic.

We didn't want to stay at the Polynesian. However, we were forced to. Our reserved rooms at The Grand Floridian were being "renovated." I made the reservations a full year in advance, and they did not bother to tell me that there were to be renovations. In fact, we were only told about a month before that we had to be moved from the Grand Floridian. Interestingly enough, this was only after we had paid our room bill in full.

One bright spot? Our maid, Silvia, was FABULOUS! Every day she would make a menagerie of animals out of the towels. My kids were in heaven!

Never again at the Polynesian.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Carmel L
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I absolutely love the Polynesian. So much so that I've visited this resort with my family 6 times in the last 7 years. Everything about this place appeals to me. The lush tropical plantings, the Hawaiin feel, the cozy themed rooms, and the bustling Grand Ceremonial House are probably the things I love the most, but this place is so incredibly detailed and well thought out that I probably have a 100 more reasons why we continue to stay here. We've stayed in a basic, garden-view room on our first 3 visits; and for the past 3 trips, we've stayed club-level in the Hawaii concierge building. Club level really fits our needs as we like the continental breakfast, snacks, and appetizers in the evening. It also provides extra space to spend time in other than our room. I liken it to having a family room in addition to the bedroom and bathroom of the hotel room. Because the landscape is so relaxing and welcoming, it provides a welcome respite from the bustle of the parks. On our most recent trip, a resort castmember told me that the Polynesian has the highest percentage of repeat visitors of any of the Walt Disney World resorts. For all of the above reasons, I can see why.

Room Tip: Request the first or third-floor as these rooms have a patio or balcony respectively.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LouisaCB
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are staying at the Polynesian all week. It's a beautiful hotel with great food. Right now I am so angry that I am writing a review as I sit here in the Polynesian Main Ceremonial House. We just got back to the hotel for a rest break with our 2 and 4 year old in the double stroller. The 2 year old is sleeping and the 4 year old is long overdo for his nap.We arrived at the Samoa house ( our room is on the 3rd floor) to discover that the building's only elevator is down. We found this out from a patron. So I ask the staff member nearby and he verifies that yes the only elevator is down and he has no idea when it's going to be fixed. So I ask him for any suggestions as to what we should do because we couldn't get both kids and the stroller up the stairs by ourselves. He says "I don't know what to tell you. There's not much we can do". So my husband and I visit the front desk. They had no suggestions either. For the cost of this hotel and the fact that it's in Walt Disney World, the most magical place on earth, I was expecting someone to give us some help. So no one went even half out of their way for us. The true test of a staff is how they handle the tough stuff. Polynesian failed.

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank Lucrecat
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary and the Polynesian hotel in Disney World and the Polynesian is my favorite. I just love the atmosphere – south seas deco - and the volcano pool, you can also rent jet skis there ( I didn't have time :( ) I stayed in Tuvalo and it had a castle view -- very pretty plus a great view of the lagoon which has a parade on the water every night. That plus seeing the fireworks over the castle from our room was great.

My husband is a smoker and there were designated smoking areas easily accessible but also hidden away a bit. We only rode the monorail to the park once or twice because you just can’t beat the boat launch for time. It was equal distance from our room to the boat or the monorail. The rooms are great with the Polynesian décor and when we were in a hurry we at at Cap’n Cooks if we had time it was always the Kona Café (I didn’t eat at O’hana but I heard good things about it). We didn’t have a real balcony but I believe the third floor rooms do (we had a faux balcony, just sliding doors and a railing – but still nice).

Side note: If you need a room that’s handicapped accessible they are very accommodating and they also have wheelchairs at the front desk if you need one (our rental was delayed until morning and the staff was GREAT about it)

Room Tip: Third floors in Tuvalo have real balconies - the other floors have sliding doors and a patio - 1st f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsea D
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at several of the Disney properties - this one has it all. Private balconies, spacies rooms. Clean, Clean, Clean. Great desk area, coffee area is well appointed. I even loved the shampoo! The bed was very comfortable. My room had two queen sized beds. The pillows are comfortable and there are many! I took a walk around the resort in the evening - families were all sitting outside or on the beach, either watching the outside movie, or viewing the fireworks from the parks. I did also take a ride on the monorail over to the Floridian. I loved the southern feel of the main house. I think you will all enjoy this resort! It was a nice touch to have a greeter waiting for us outside the hotel, who walked us into the lobby and made sure we were taken care of upon checkin. This is certainly a trip worth taking! The staff is friendly and goes above and beyond to make every day here special.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business