“A bit of Hawaii in the middle of Walt Disney World”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #91 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I absolutely love the Polynesian. So much so that I've visited this resort with my family 6 times in the last 7 years. Everything about this place appeals to me. The lush tropical plantings, the Hawaiin feel, the cozy themed rooms, and the bustling Grand Ceremonial House are probably the things I love the most, but this place is so incredibly detailed and well thought out that I probably have a 100 more reasons why we continue to stay here. We've stayed in a basic, garden-view room on our first 3 visits; and for the past 3 trips, we've stayed club-level in the Hawaii concierge building. Club level really fits our needs as we like the continental breakfast, snacks, and appetizers in the evening. It also provides extra space to spend time in other than our room. I liken it to having a family room in addition to the bedroom and bathroom of the hotel room. Because the landscape is so relaxing and welcoming, it provides a welcome respite from the bustle of the parks. On our most recent trip, a resort castmember told me that the Polynesian has the highest percentage of repeat visitors of any of the Walt Disney World resorts. For all of the above reasons, I can see why.

Room Tip: Request the first or third-floor as these rooms have a patio or balcony respectively.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LouisaCB

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are staying at the Polynesian all week. It's a beautiful hotel with great food. Right now I am so angry that I am writing a review as I sit here in the Polynesian Main Ceremonial House. We just got back to the hotel for a rest break with our 2 and 4 year old in the double stroller. The 2 year old is sleeping and the 4 year old is long overdo for his nap.We arrived at the Samoa house ( our room is on the 3rd floor) to discover that the building's only elevator is down. We found this out from a patron. So I ask the staff member nearby and he verifies that yes the only elevator is down and he has no idea when it's going to be fixed. So I ask him for any suggestions as to what we should do because we couldn't get both kids and the stroller up the stairs by ourselves. He says "I don't know what to tell you. There's not much we can do". So my husband and I visit the front desk. They had no suggestions either. For the cost of this hotel and the fact that it's in Walt Disney World, the most magical place on earth, I was expecting someone to give us some help. So no one went even half out of their way for us. The true test of a staff is how they handle the tough stuff. Polynesian failed.

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank Lucrecat
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary and the Polynesian hotel in Disney World and the Polynesian is my favorite. I just love the atmosphere – south seas deco - and the volcano pool, you can also rent jet skis there ( I didn't have time :( ) I stayed in Tuvalo and it had a castle view -- very pretty plus a great view of the lagoon which has a parade on the water every night. That plus seeing the fireworks over the castle from our room was great.

My husband is a smoker and there were designated smoking areas easily accessible but also hidden away a bit. We only rode the monorail to the park once or twice because you just can’t beat the boat launch for time. It was equal distance from our room to the boat or the monorail. The rooms are great with the Polynesian décor and when we were in a hurry we at at Cap’n Cooks if we had time it was always the Kona Café (I didn’t eat at O’hana but I heard good things about it). We didn’t have a real balcony but I believe the third floor rooms do (we had a faux balcony, just sliding doors and a railing – but still nice).

Side note: If you need a room that’s handicapped accessible they are very accommodating and they also have wheelchairs at the front desk if you need one (our rental was delayed until morning and the staff was GREAT about it)

Room Tip: Third floors in Tuvalo have real balconies - the other floors have sliding doors and a patio - 1st f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsea D
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at several of the Disney properties - this one has it all. Private balconies, spacies rooms. Clean, Clean, Clean. Great desk area, coffee area is well appointed. I even loved the shampoo! The bed was very comfortable. My room had two queen sized beds. The pillows are comfortable and there are many! I took a walk around the resort in the evening - families were all sitting outside or on the beach, either watching the outside movie, or viewing the fireworks from the parks. I did also take a ride on the monorail over to the Floridian. I loved the southern feel of the main house. I think you will all enjoy this resort! It was a nice touch to have a greeter waiting for us outside the hotel, who walked us into the lobby and made sure we were taken care of upon checkin. This is certainly a trip worth taking! The staff is friendly and goes above and beyond to make every day here special.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The polynesian resort must be 40 years old, and it is shouting its need for remodelation, the decor of the rooms is old. Needs more restaurants and more variety on its food. The restaurant hostess are very old persons and very slow (probably stated with the resort).
The swimminig pool and pool bar are very nice, the beach is clean and well kept, and the service in this areas is very helpful and courteous.
I felt the hotel was overpriced for what it offers.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view to the lagoon. It will allow you to the see the nightly fireworks at Magic K...
1  Thank guaman
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Polynesian is by far my favorite hotel on Disney property, and probably one of my favorite in the world!! The grounds are beautiful and well themed. The rooms are enormous compared to a standard hotel room and compared to other Deluxe Disney hotels.

Polynesian is perfectly situated on the Monorail route to the Magic Kingdom, but also within walking distance to the Transportation and Ticket Center for easy access to the Monorail for Epcot.

Volcano pool is great for kids with music and activities in the afternoon. The round pool is a quiet retreat for adults or families looking to chill.

As long as I can afford it, I'll never stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Tahiti building is away from hustle bustle and close to TTC.
4  Thank Bridget M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel we were warmly greeted and then taken by golf cart to our room at the Longhouse (Hawaii). The Hawaii Longhouse location cannot be beat if you want a view of the Magic Kingdom (electric parade at night right in front of our room - plus the fireworks from the MK every night), and want to be close to the pool. This location cannot be beat! I enjoyed the concierge service as it provided a means for snacking when we weren't quite ready for a meal (this is not a meal subsitute - except maybe for breakfast - only hot item at breakfast was oatmeal). We walked the 5 minute walk to the TTC to take the monorail to EPCOT, but took the ferry boat right from the resort to the Magic Kingdom and it was great with departures every 10 minutes and not crowded at all. The only negative aspect of the hotel - as has been mentioned previously - is the bedspreads. They do seem like they are from the 1970's - very old and need to be retired. The staff were so very helpful with coordinating checking out and scheduling a transit from the resort to the Alamo car rental on WDW property. Kona Cafe had wonderful food and service also. Highly recommend this resort for its location and superior staff. We hope upon our return the rooms (at least bedspread) have been updated! :)

Room Tip: Hawaii Longhouse can't be beat for access to pool/beach and view of the Magic Kingdom
3  Thank Janet A