“Disney's Polynesian Resort”

Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Ranked #87 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Travel: August 22nd - August 26th, 2012

First timer at Disney World and thought that The Polynesian Resort would be perfect for our stay there. It was just my fiance and I travelling.

About 30 mins away from the Orlanda Airport. On arrival, we were greeted at the front and was escorted to the front concierge. The front of the resort looked amazing with the flowers and waterfalls. Definitely helped with the excitement. We were checked in right away and able to go to our rooms.

We stopped by the 'food area' to pick up our free mugs and food. There are many different sections of the hotel - I believe we were in the farthest one overlooking the lake and the the other parks view. It was quite a walk. The heat & weather put a toll on us which I guess made the walk longer than usual.

Upon arrival into our section of the hotel - There were only 1 elevator available and pretty much empty unless it was in the morning when room service were on each floors. The A/C is put on full blast in the resorts expecially in the parks. The hallways were a little dim and our room was a bit outdated. It kept with the polynesian theme of the resort with the colours of the sheets and the room decor. There were spiderwebs on the ceiling fan which was a distraction because I hate spiders! Our view was amazing - We were right across from the castle at Magic Kingdom and could see the ferries departing and arriving. At night you could see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from our room and from the beach.

The staff was always nice and very helpful - Disney is literally the happiest place on earth.

The Polynesian was easily accessible to the parks either from the Tram or by bus.
The Tram stop was basically right next to the Polynesian Resort which was convenient and clost to all the Disney Parks.

I would definitely stay at the Polynesian Resort again. It served it's purpose. We were only in our resort to sleep and to rest a bit. I love how it's convenient and close to everything.

I have nothing bad to say (except for spider webs & the little lizards outside of the resort) about this resport! Absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: I recommend on asking with a parks view so you can see the fireworks from your balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank urban5oul

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've stayed at many Disney Resorts in the past. All are exccellant. But there is nothing like staying on the Magic Kingdom monorail line. Just very conveinant and easy to get to every where.
All the cast members who work there are trained in Polonesian traditions as well as Disney traininng. Which makes it doubly great. Fantastic pools for kids and adults. Great restaruants for fast food or sit down

Room Tip: ask for a pool or marina view. You can get these at no extra cost. However if you want a water or Ma...
2  Thank Lousan1
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This resort is fantastic, having been to disney a few times I never used the monorail system before. It is the best aspect of this place. Everything at the resort is great. If you want a resort that takes you away from the normal hustle of Disney this is the place. The Volcano Pool area is a great vacation away from the "vacation" Rooms were nice and adequate with a patio overlooking gardens. I would reccomend it to any family looking in this level of resort.

Room Tip: Try to request a room close to pool area and Cermonial House although everything is fairly easily ma...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JZoccolo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

While it is showing signs of wear, it is still a family favorite. The location makes it great for families with small children. We had some plumbing issues, but they were addressed immediately. Capt. Cook's is easy to use. The concierge service is always knowledgable. The pools are designed for fun or quiet whichever you need. I know it is expensive, but when you look at the whole package dining, room and entertainment its the one for us.

Room Tip: Try for Tokuloa ot Tahitian building for location near transportation center
1  Thank 299jerryg299
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The Polynesian is a true gem on the Disney property. It is such a relaxing resort. The Grand Ceremonial House is always welcoming with it's lush plantlife and pretty waterfalls. It's dark and cool and smells wonderful. Every employee we encountered seemed truly concerned that we were having a good time, and were all so helpful. The parks are so hectic, and it can be a very exhausting experience, so coming back to the Polynesian is a real treat.

The food choices at Captain Cooks are decent, they have some good grab and go sushi, and the noodle bowls are good. I wish they had more steamed vegetable choices, but other than that, I have no real complaints. Room service is awesome, the food was always good.
Having use of the monorail is really convenient, especially with a toddler. We were there in September, which they say is a really slow month. Even so, the main pool was always really crowded, but there is a second one that stayed pretty quiet.
I think a lot of people who eat at 'Ohana or go to the Aloha dinner show, stick around for the fireworks on the beach after dinner, even if they aren't staying there, so it can get a little crowded down there at night, but it's a fun atmosphere and there's plenty of room. Just don't expect to have a guaranteed chair/hammock/swing, just because you're staying there!

I read other reviews where people complained about the worn out look of the rooms, or that they were dark. I found the rooms to be very comfortable, and the decor charming! It really feels tropical, and the lighting is super relaxing. When you open the curtains, you have plenty of light during the day.
Staying on the ground floor is really nice, then you can walk out of your back door as well as your front door, depending on which part of the resort you want to reach fastest. (it was a nice perk if you're in the middle of the building like we were)
We look forward to visiting again soon, and I never want to stay off the monorail line again! It spoils you to have that luxury. You can pop into the MK and back to your room anytime you'd like, easy peasy.
I guess I would consider Wilderness Lodge, with it's boat access to MK, but I would have a hard time not choosing the Polynesian again.

Ruth, at the check-in desk is so nice and welcoming! We loved her!

Visited September 2012

Room Tip: check out tiki man pages for tips on different buildings and their weaknesses/strengths.
4  Thank ACR37
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I found that my biggest complaint is cleanliness, kids would drop crackers and housekeeping would "clean " and everything lying on the floor would remain. Counters not wiped down showers not cleaned etc. Also needs updates, lots of rusting fixtures, shower was terrible water wound up all over the BR with barely any on you while showering. BR fans ont work

Stayed here because pool at grand Floridian was being renovated which was a mistake. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to a friend.

3  Thank Izabela C
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I like Disney stuff. My family and I like the idea of Disney, and Disneyland. But the Polynesian is outdated and needs a physical remod. The rooms are small, the bedding accessories old, and our A/C filter was a year old.

The main problem was simple access. On arrival we checked in, and were given a map and room keys. The map is NOT adequate, and we wandered into two other buildings before finding ours. That in itself may be an anomaly, but during the three nights we were there I helped three other families find their rooms, wandering confused in the dark, holding their maps and pushing strollers. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Maybe its because we didn't use the Bellman? Whatever the reason, if your guests cannot find their rooms at night there is a definite problem. There are enough employees wandering around to assign someone to accompany the guests to their room, or at least the correct building.

Aloha!

Room Tip: Ask for help finding your room. It's a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends