Disney's Contemporary Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$192
$175
$241
$202
$137
$122
  • Restaurant
Marriott's Grande Vista(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$145
Caribe Royale Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$185
$193
$274
$239
  • Restaurant
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$209
$164
Travelocity
$702
$437
Travelocity
3,185 results
All reviewscalifornia grillgarden wingcontempo cafechef mickeymagic kingdomgrand floridianbay lake viewtheme park viewmain buildingdisney worldcounter spaceclub levelmonorail accesstower roommonorail linemonorail servicewater parade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We (couple with a 1.5 year old child) stayed here for 4 nights, the main purpose to attend a conference. We paid a conference rate of $189 plus taxes and resort fee for a total of $213.

There a some very positive aspects to this hotel:
-the view was very nice. We were in a room overlooking the pool and the lake and it was very pleasant to sit on the balcony in the evening.
-the monorail stops right in the hotel so access to the Magic Kingdom is quick and easy.
-the room was quite spacious and fairly clean.
-the Magic Express bus from and to the airport was very easy to use and we did not have to pick up our baggage when arriving. Our baggage arrived in our room within two hours. Plus the bus was free and a taxi would have cost around $75.
-the pool area was nice and our child enjoyed the splash pad. Unfortunately, on the third day of our four day stay, the splash pad went into repair so was unusable.

However, a multitude of irritations occurred and therefore, I cannot give the hotel more than a marginal thumbs up.
-I had requested a crib when I reserved the room. When I checked in, I forgot to mention this (and the check-in clerk didn't mention it either even though I had my child right there) so I had to call down and request it. This was about 3pm and by 8pm, I still hadn't received the crib. I called again, and it arrived within 20 minutes.
-the fridge did not work. I called and maintenance came within 15 minutes, pulled it out and installed a new one however, the new fridge only worked for 2 days. We didn't request a new one at that point but all our child's food and milk was spoiled.
-the toilet was very difficult to flush properly.
-I could not figure out how to make the clock show the time at night. I did not call about this but what is the point of having a clock that you have to fiddle with to actually be able to see the time during the night?
-there were two sinks in the bathroom and absolutely no counterspace. (One was white and one was off-white which puzzled me but was not really an irritation.) Why would you design a bathroom with no counterspace? There was a shelf below the sink but we couldn't keep our stuff in reach of our child so had to pack it up after each use. Plus, the sinks were shallow instead of deep (sort of modern looking) and it was difficult to wash our child's dishes.
-no free internet. Seriously, if the scummiest Days Inn can offer free WiFi, why can't the luxury hotels do so as well?
-we ate supper at the restaurant, The Wave, three times. It was overpriced and not that good but having a child with us and no car, we couldn't go too far.
-there was no late checkout. I would have preferred to checkout a noon (instead of 11am) when the conference had a break but was unable to.

All in all, there were just too many irritants to rate this hotel very positively although the room, the location and the pool area were very nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank phladun
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Our family accompanied my husband on a business trip which we extended to include 3 more days. We requested an early check in, and helped ourselves out by using the pre-check in on their website. You can pre-check in up to 10 days in advance of your arrival, and let them know what time you will be there. This ended up saving us from having to stand in a line of about 30 people waiting to be checked in at the regular desk. Look for the computer pre-check in desk in the lobby.
Our daughters and I had no trouble finding free(or almost free) stuff to do the 1st few days while Dad was in his meetings.
On the 1st night we drove to Port Orleans (another Disney Hotel), bought our dinner at the food court there, and took it up to the "bar" near the lobby. We had been told that "Bob the piano guy" was great entertainment, and was he ever! He started at 8:30 and we finally left around 11. This is for kids and adults. There is no charge associated with enjoying Bob's show(audience participation)
Downtown Disney was quick and easy to get to the next day- a car ride back to Port Orleans where we caught a boat which took us directly there. Legoland(where you can play w/the legos), the Mr.PotatoHead store(again, can play),face painting,lunch at the Rainforest Cafe and the boat ride home filled our day-for not alot of cash!
We took a monorail ride (directly from contemporary) to Grand Floridian Resort and got a pizza and played video games in their restaurant/arcade located on the side of the hotel. Again, not a lot of cash (keep in mind you can't feed 4 dinner under $40-$50 anywhere on Disney property)caught the Electric Water Parade back at the Contemporary around 10:10 that night.
A boat ride directly from the Contemporary to Ft Wilderness Campground gave us a nice morning the next day of playing on their little beach, playground and finally off to the stables to see the horses. They also offer pony rides to riders under 70 pounds(I think), for $5, it's cash only(no charging it back to your room). After a quick lunch of peanut butter and jelly in the room, we headed to the pool. It's like a little water park! A huge slide sends kids and adults into the pool, and there is an interactive fountain area for the kids to play in too.
We pre-booked the kids into the Neverland Camp at the Polynesian(again, a quick monorail ride away from the Contemporary) prior to our trip for our 3rd night. The cost is $11.50 per hour per child. My hubby and I went up to the Kona Cafe ( in the Polynesian) for our reservations, which were running behind. The host suggested we go behind the sushi bar, which is to the left of the restaurant, and see if there were seats. There were plenty! We sat, ordered, and had a better view than if we had eaten in the Kona Cafe.
After running ourselves out of steam at a park Sat., we caught the fireworks Sat. pm, which are fantastic from the rooms facing the Magic Kindgom, or you can see them outside the hotel(go back towards the dock).Room Service is insanely expensive, so we inquired down at the Contempo Cafe (4th floor), and found that we could place an order there, and they would bag it for us to go back to our room. By doing that we fed four hungry, tired mouths, for less than the cost of 2 entrees on the In Room Dining Menu.

Since we were lucky enough to stay in the Tower(what they call the main portion of the hotel that the monorail runs through), we got to look out over Chef Mickey's at just about any time of the day, and see the characters down below. There is a patio outside on the 4th floor where you can sit and watch the monorails go by and view the fireworks. The one thing I didn't like was they charge for internet access for your laptop. At these prices, it should be free.
Its pricey,and a once i a lifetime thing, but there are a lot of free, or low cost perks that came with staying here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank southernfriedflorida
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed at the Contemporary back in 2004 for a conference and was quite disappointed in the room that we were in. Fast forward to September 2010, where we attended another conference, and was very glad to see improvements to the hotel, particularly the guest room.

Six years ago, the rooms were old and outdated and had too much of a childish feel to it. Warn carpet and wallpaper, tacky curtains, low sinks, small beds, etc. After some renovations, the rooms are much improved. They have a modern look from the bedspread, the furniture and the bathroom.

After not enjoying our stay at the Garden tower a few years back, at check-in, we requested a room in the Contemporary tower, which the front desk granted us. Likewise, any staff we encountered was friendly and cheery just like any other Disney property or attraction.

The rooms were also quiet as you didnt hear the noise from outside in the 4th floor where they have the gift shops and restaurants.

The conference room areas have also been improved with better lighting and style.

And we were able to take advantage of the pool area this time around since the weather was nice and warm.

The hotel is super close to the Magic Kingdom and is thus very convenient especially with the monorail stopping inside the hotel.

Would now look forward to staying at this hotel for work or with family if attending the Disney theme parks.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank petertom25
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We had a three-day cconference at the Contemporary. I was concerned about being able to find the place amid all the resorts and directions were not great, but we arrived. There was some wait for the room (about an hour), but I was AMAZED at how willng the staff was to accommodate me and compensate for the delay.

I had stayed at Pop Century (one of the lower-end resorts) some time ago and was concerned that the resort would be all fluff on the outside and not much on the inside. Boy, was I wrong. The rooms are very comfortable, well-designed, well-appointed. All the creature comforts are included. My favorite addition was couch that converts to a comfy single-bed. (I brought my mom and toddler along on the conference).

The elevators are a little slow and the fast-food selection is pricey, but all in all, this is a great place to visit. I checked the rack room prices as I considered bringing additional families, but I don't think I would have paid that--especially if I was visiting parks.

I think they should discount the rooms if families purchase park tickets. (Park prices just went up).

I look forward to visiting again. By the way, the staff was STUPENDOUS. Even when things don't go perfectly, they appear to be empowered to assist. Finally, my daughter lost her tooth while she was there. The front desk gave me an autographed Cinderella photo and card to help celebrate her monetary gift from the Tooth Fairy under her pillow...
p.s. RIde the boat shuttle to the pool at Wilderness Lodge. Kids will LOVE IT!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2010

This was my first time to Disney in 15 years! We really enjoyed our stay at the Contemporary... It was a really good experience, but not a great experience as I think Disney would hope it would be.

We walked into the lobby and it smelled like pee. Maybe the place is old... I don't know... every time we walked in, the lobby smelled like pee. The desk staff was VERY helpful and accommodating. They treated us wonderfully.

We moved to our room and it was very nice... very clean... very cool. We went to the WAVE restaurant and it was less than amazing. We had the dining plan so we didn't pay menu prices... but if we had, it would have been largely not worth it!

The first night we were in bed watching a movie and my wife looked up on the wall and said, "ROACH!" I took a pic w/ my phone just for proof and then hopped up on the couch to kill it... it crawled away and I called the front desk to ask for roach spray. I have a baby and thought they'd offer us a different room and thoroughly apologize... nope.. they just said they'd send some roach spray.. in the mean time... the roach crawled back out and I killed it. I called them back and said don't bring the spray... they said ok... no apologies. I just wanted some kind of apology for paying resort prices for a roach room.

Anyway, the location is great... the service is great... our stay was almost great. I kept thinking Disney Resorts should take notes from cruise line customer service people. Our cruise experiences have BLOWN DISNEY AWAY!

Oh yeah and NO WI-FI !!!! You have to pay $10 a day for WIRED internet! Disney needs to get with it on the wi-fi...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family