“Location, location, location -- large comfortable rooms a great bonus”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Charleston, SC
“Location, location, location -- large comfortable rooms a great bonus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

We just returned from 7 nights at the Contemporary Resort and couldn't have been happier with our hotel choice. We were there between April 4 and April 11, 2009. It was me, husband and our 2 1/2 year old daughter.
Location: The best thing about this hotel is its location. It was so convenient to be able to walk over to Magic Kingdom, especially with a 2 year old. We were able to get from room to Magic Kingdom turnstiles in less than 10 minutes. Travel to Epcot was also very convienent on the monorail. We used our car to drive to other parks without hassel.

Rooms: The complaints I read about the Contemporary were the lack of theme and lack of storage. We didn't take issue with either of these things. We enjoyed the simple elegance of the Contemporary theme (especially after full days of over stimulation at the parks) We also found plenty of storage between 2 large drawers beside 1 bed, 2 more drawers in one of the closets and 2 closets for hanging clothes. The beds were very comfortable. We had driven to Orlando so I packed my own pillows b/c i am very picky about pillows, but I didn't even need them. They had GREAT pillows! They felt like down, but I suspect they were the allergy free down alternative. We were in a garden wing/garden view room on the 1st floor overlooking Bay Lake. I had no problems being in the garden wing. It was a short walk to the lobby of the tower and we had a very quiet room. The bathroom was nicely appointed and although there is limited counter space, there is pleny of space via a long shelf underneath the sinks.

Check-in -- I had used Disney's new on-line check-in before we arrived. We arrived before 9:00 am. and received our Keys to the World along with information about the resort. Our room wasn't ready yet, but I didn't expect it to be at that time of day. We had no wait in the on-line check in station and our room was ready when we finished touring at Magic Kingdom in the early afternoon that day.

Restaurants -- We ate at Chef Mickey's for dinner 2x and had counter service b-fast at Contempo Cafe 2x. We enjoyed both restaurants in the hotel (as well as many other restaurants around WDW).

Pool -- they are still doing some renovations to the pool, but the pool was open for our use and the constuction was unobtrusive. We enjoyed the slide at the pool and our 2 year old went down it without assistance. It's pretty fast for a 2 year old, but if your small child goes to waterparks regularly or is around water a good bit, they'll be okay. We didn't have any trouble getting seats by the pool in the afternons when we went. We didn't spend much time at the quiet pool, but I took a short dip while husband and daughter went back to the room for a nap. It was certainly quieter, but there were children over there. The cabanas were nice, but we didn't end up using them b/c we weren't planning to spend several hours at the pool during this trip. I only saw a couple of people reserving them. You could have walked up and reserved one on the spot without an advanced reservation.

Beach -- the beach area was nice with hammocks and plenty of chairs. You are not supposed to swim in the lake.

Staff -- we didn't encounter any problems with the staff. Everyone was very nice. The only minor issue I had (and I hesitate to even call it an issue) is that we couldn't use a bell cart without a bellman. Because we were in a garden wing room and there was access to the self parking lot via a small lobby 2 doors down from us, we chose to self park. We had lots of items, i.e. those pillows I packed, snacks, portable DVD player, laptop, stroller, etc. and I knew which items I needed to have easy access to for the drive home to entertain our daughter so I thought we would just pack the car ourselves. Unfortunately, we could not have use of a cart without the use of a bellman so we just carried everything out to the car without a cart.

We used the internet service a couple of days as my husband wanted to check-in with work. It was $9.99/day. I think Disney should include this in the price which seems to be the norm at most hotels these days, but this charge isn't specific to just this Disney hotel.

Overall we had a very nice stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank esgordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Noblesville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

My wife and I took our two daughters (ages 4 1/2 and 2) to Disney for the first time. We chose the Contemporary for its proximity to the Magic Kingdom and for the Chef Mickey's restaurant in the hotel. The stay was as we expected. Disney is certainly overpriced compared to the outside world and the food at the hotel is certainly not worth the price were it served outside the grounds of Walt's world, but if you know that going in and you remember that the vacation is for the kids, it's all worth it.
Our room was adequate. 2 queens on the side facing the Magic Kingdom as requested. A pack and play and refridgerator were present as requested as well. Adequate storage for our 6 day stay including plenty of hanger space. The two sinks were nice as it made getting ready easier in the mornings. Plenty of pillows were available and a pull-out couch was also in the room (we didn't use it). The large flat screen TV offers your expected channels plus a multitude of Disney channels, of course.
We visited each park (Magic Kingdom twice). It was packed (they closed MK on two days as the park had reached capacity), but we weren't riding any roller coasters, so we were able to pick and choose our few rides and make days of character greetings and shows. I was impressed with the number of shows at Hollywood Studios. All appealed to both kiddos, especially the older one. She was in her glory. We had breakfast at Akershurs with the princesses at Epcot and lunch at the Castle another day with the princesses. We also had dinner at Chef Mickey's with the basic characters-the little one loved Minnie and Donald. Again, it's not gourmet food, but you pay to see your little princess live her dream. Make sure you call 3 months in advance to get those reservations!
We had dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary once. Not bad, but no real identity as to what their theme is. The Cafe in the Grand Floridian was much better food-wise for the same prices. I would also recommend getting reservations several days in advance if you are planning sit down type meals for dinner. My favorite dinner was at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK. Family style with incredible beef, pork, gravy and a giant apple crisp a la mode to share for dessert. We did do the basic dining plan and only ran short of sit down meals because the lunch with the princesses counts double against your meal plan. Otherwise we came out perfect with snacks and quick meals.
To me, Disney is about the experience. We were there to give our older girl her dream vacation and to get some relaxation. The Disney folks accomplished this and then some. The employees are so pleasant and so eager to make every child smile that you just can't help but appreciate their effort. They made our life easy by taking care of our luggage on the Magical Express so we didn't have to cart it to and from the airport. The transportation system ran like clockwork (except for the afternoon of an auto accident that partially damaged a monorail pylon-so we took a boat!)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank irisharpe
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

my brother and two grandchildren stayed at the CONTEMPORARY TOWERS for a week in march/april of 2009. what a beautiful room and every nite at nine we watched amazing fireworks from our private balconey. love this resort. i am going again in oct and the contemporary it will again for me. we stayed in the main tower and though it cost more it was worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank tankytucall
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

My wife was at a convention so we stayed at the Contemporary. The pool was fun for the kids with the water slide. The marina watercraft rental was fun for the kids. Our room was spacious and cozy. The deck had a beautiful view of the Magic Kingdom. The monerail was great because we could go to Maigc Kingdom & Epcot. The food court was good for when we needed a bite to eat. The Chef Mickey's was a hit with our younger daughter. She loved meeting mickey and friends. The buffet was all you can eat so it was great. We loved the fireworks one night. But my daughter who really wanted to see them fell asleep before them. The German Restaurant at Epcot for some reason gave my daughter a bad stomach ache and had to go bakc to the hotel on the monorail. The gift shop was awesome becuase it had medicine for my daughter. My son and wife stayed to watch the refelctions thing at Epcot. I think it was a great hotel but the German Restaurant at Epcot should really fix their food!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank skifamily34
Omaha
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

Returned from our first visit to the Contemporary yesterday. We stayed in the Garden Wing room 6128, which is first floor pretty near the beach/pool. Had a good trip, great weather. Miss it already.

Have done Polynesian for our past trips. There were pros and cons of the CR compared to Poly for us.

Of course the biggest pro is the monorail running through. My kids enjoyed the pool. They are 9, 6 and 4. We were able to get a life vest for the 4 yr old. He doesn't like going under so he stuck to the steps mainly but he had fun. The older 2 swam all over and really enjoyed the slide. We've only been to the Poly in January so it's hard to compare the pools since we didn't use the Poly one much. I do like how the Poly has the zero entry. My 4 yr old would have preferred that to the steps. They did have movies on the beach several nights but we only watched a bit one evening.

We ate breakfast at Chef Mickeys, ate dinner a couple times at Contempo Cafe, and one lunch at the Sand Bar. Food was good at all. Sand Bar worker was a bit rude.

I liked being close to the pool but I do wish we were in the tower. I felt a bit detached from everything.

As for the room. I know it is said that they are bigger than Poly but it seemed smaller to me. It may just be the layout. I HATED the sinks at the CR and the lack of counter space. Didn't care for the doors on the bathrooms either, not very private. Overall the rooms at the Poly are much better in my opinion. I didn't care for the CR theming in the rooms compared to Poly.

Overall I prefer the Poly theming to the CR but it wasn't bad at the CR. The long walk from the room to the tower was so drab compared to the Poly but there was a huge construction fence up around the pool area so that is what we would walk by every day so not much of a view. It may be different when the fencing is not there.

We used the Magic Express and we were in our room all checked in within 90 minutes of landing in the plane. CR was the last bus stop too. We used the bus to go to the Hollywood Studios, and Winter Summerland golf and it was quick and painless. Used the walkway to Magic Kingdom once, seemed a bit long. Used the monorail for everything else.

Staff was friendly. Housekeeping was very poor. Our room was a bit dirty when we arrived. The wall of the shower was literally coated with chunks of long brown hair that I had to wash down the drain before I could use it. It did blend a bit with the marble so maybe housekeeping didn't see it? Even though we'd put the towels on the floor every night we'd never get all of them replaced. One night we were only left with 2 large towels. Several nights no hand towels and several nights no washcloths. We got by okay though. The worst thing was we found a bed bug on a pillow. Now it was about half way through the stay and I went to get in bed and moved a pillow. There was the bug on the pillow underneath. It was brown and about the size of an apple seed. I put it in a ziploc and searched for evidence of more bugs. I didn't see anything. I've never seen a bed bug and I thought they were much smaller. This looked to me like a tick but different than the ticks in Nebraska. Since I saw no evidence of any other bugs and none of us were itching we didn't complain. When I got home I googled bed bugs and there is no question that is what it is. I still have my ziploc and it's still alive after 7 days and has laid some eggs! Wish I would have complained now. I have all my laundry and luggage in the garage so hopefully we avoided bringing anything home. I have composed a letter to Disney with pictures about the matter so they can at least fumigate that room. I doubt nor do I expect that they'll do anything for me.

Overall if you want a deluxe hotel on the monorail line go for the Poly over the CR. I would only return if the deal was good enough but I'd choose a tower room next time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Shel28
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

This place is great. It is worth the extra cost for a Magic Kingdom View. You will be glad you did.
Everyone was helpful and friendly that we encountered.
As far as the sinks go, not a big deal in my opinion. Plenty of room underneath the sinks. So what if you might have to bend down. Probably good for your body to use some muscles.
The pools are very nice.
House keeping did a great job,our room was clean and I am picky.
My kids favorite hotel at Disney is the Contemporary. It is a toss up for me, I like the Grand Floridians Lobby and Port Orleans Riverside price tag. (Bang for the buck)

We were on a top floor and didnt hear any hotel noise so I can't comment on that.

We loved our stay here.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank faithandfamily
Spring Hill, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

First let me begin by saying that I am a frequent Disney traveler. My family and I go to Disney at least once a month and usually stay on property. We stayed at the contemporary resort because we'd only missed two Disney resorts in our lifetime and the Contemporary was one of them. When we arrived we pulled up to the front of the hotel to unload our bags...we were told by the valet that there were too many people unloading now and we'd either have to valet park or move the car and bring the bags from the parking lot...what a start to a "Magical Gathering". I got out of the car to check in and my husband took the kids and the bags to the parking lot at the valet's request. Check in was pleasant enough. We were given our keys and we were given a room in the Tower as requested (and paid for) on the 6th floor (just above the monorail).
The Room: The first thing we noticed upon entering the room was the view...definately a PLUS!!! We could see the Magic Kingdom from our balcony and were able to watch the fireworks and water pageant from our balcony. The beds were very comfortable but when we got in them to go to bed at night we noticed the pillows were down(my husband is allergic) and we called Housekeeping to have the pillows switched out...this took almost 45 minutes(a long time when u are already in bed for the night and have 3 small kids). The bathroom was another problem. There are double sinks in the bathroom and they are extremely shallow. There is no shelf between them (just under them) which makes it very difficult when showering. You have no where to put your clean clothes or towels. The pull out bed seemed to have dirty sheets on it and we replaced it with linen in the closet.
The Transportation: This was the major problem during our stay. Firstly, the weekend that we chose happened to be the same weekend as thousands upon thousands of marathon runners and their families for the WDW Marathon. This really was a problem for transportation. The monorail(which normally closes between 12a and 7a) ran all night which shook our room every 15 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG!!! When we attempted to get onto the monorail it was always full because runners were transporting here and there utilizing the monorail system. On Sunday we had reservations for breakfast at the Polynesian Resort (2 stops down on the monorail). We'd planned to leave the polynesian and take a bus over to Hollywood Studios from there so we left our car at the Contemporary. We had a stroller and I should mention the elevator to the monorail at the contemporary indicated it was for disabled persons and therefore we had to remove the baby from the stroller, fold it and go up the escalator every time we wanted to get onto the monorail...When we attempted to leave the polynesian we waited for the elevator to get downstairs walked quite a distance to the bus stop only to find a sign indicating that the busses were for marathon persons only. We went back to the polynesian, back up the elevator, to the monorail and waited 30 minutes to take the monorail to the Contemporary. The Contemporary was almost impossible to get out of because of the marathon and all the traffic "cops" were directing us the wrong way...we didn't arrive at the studios for almost 2 hours from when we finished breakfast. The location is one of the top reasons people are willing to pay for this hotel and the transportation is so bad that it makes it more of a nuisance than a benfit.
The Service:Definatley not a 5 star hotel as claimed. I went to the gift shop with my mother in law (she was purchasing a $500 gift card). When we found assistance the girl acted as if we were bothering her and waved us to the back of the store where they were. When we got in that general direction and found what we were looking for we went back to cash out and no one was to be found. We had to walk across the store where 3 employees were chatting and ask to cash out. They were less than friendly. The housekeeping staff also knocked at the door at 8am after we'd been to the parks til almost 1am. I already mentioned the valet staff. I was impressed with the staff at chef mickey's as I always am.
All in all, the Contemporary is definitely not worth the money. You'd be better off to take the extra and spend it on a nice fireworks cruise or a character dinner.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family