We just returned from 7 nights at the Contemporary Resort and couldn't have been happier with our hotel choice. We were there between April 4 and April 11, 2009. It was me, husband and our 2 1/2 year old daughter.
Location: The best thing about this hotel is its location. It was so convenient to be able to walk over to Magic Kingdom, especially with a 2 year old. We were able to get from room to Magic Kingdom turnstiles in less than 10 minutes. Travel to Epcot was also very convienent on the monorail. We used our car to drive to other parks without hassel.
Rooms: The complaints I read about the Contemporary were the lack of theme and lack of storage. We didn't take issue with either of these things. We enjoyed the simple elegance of the Contemporary theme (especially after full days of over stimulation at the parks) We also found plenty of storage between 2 large drawers beside 1 bed, 2 more drawers in one of the closets and 2 closets for hanging clothes. The beds were very comfortable. We had driven to Orlando so I packed my own pillows b/c i am very picky about pillows, but I didn't even need them. They had GREAT pillows! They felt like down, but I suspect they were the allergy free down alternative. We were in a garden wing/garden view room on the 1st floor overlooking Bay Lake. I had no problems being in the garden wing. It was a short walk to the lobby of the tower and we had a very quiet room. The bathroom was nicely appointed and although there is limited counter space, there is pleny of space via a long shelf underneath the sinks.
Check-in -- I had used Disney's new on-line check-in before we arrived. We arrived before 9:00 am. and received our Keys to the World along with information about the resort. Our room wasn't ready yet, but I didn't expect it to be at that time of day. We had no wait in the on-line check in station and our room was ready when we finished touring at Magic Kingdom in the early afternoon that day.
Restaurants -- We ate at Chef Mickey's for dinner 2x and had counter service b-fast at Contempo Cafe 2x. We enjoyed both restaurants in the hotel (as well as many other restaurants around WDW).
Pool -- they are still doing some renovations to the pool, but the pool was open for our use and the constuction was unobtrusive. We enjoyed the slide at the pool and our 2 year old went down it without assistance. It's pretty fast for a 2 year old, but if your small child goes to waterparks regularly or is around water a good bit, they'll be okay. We didn't have any trouble getting seats by the pool in the afternons when we went. We didn't spend much time at the quiet pool, but I took a short dip while husband and daughter went back to the room for a nap. It was certainly quieter, but there were children over there. The cabanas were nice, but we didn't end up using them b/c we weren't planning to spend several hours at the pool during this trip. I only saw a couple of people reserving them. You could have walked up and reserved one on the spot without an advanced reservation.
Beach -- the beach area was nice with hammocks and plenty of chairs. You are not supposed to swim in the lake.
Staff -- we didn't encounter any problems with the staff. Everyone was very nice. The only minor issue I had (and I hesitate to even call it an issue) is that we couldn't use a bell cart without a bellman. Because we were in a garden wing room and there was access to the self parking lot via a small lobby 2 doors down from us, we chose to self park. We had lots of items, i.e. those pillows I packed, snacks, portable DVD player, laptop, stroller, etc. and I knew which items I needed to have easy access to for the drive home to entertain our daughter so I thought we would just pack the car ourselves. Unfortunately, we could not have use of a cart without the use of a bellman so we just carried everything out to the car without a cart.
We used the internet service a couple of days as my husband wanted to check-in with work. It was $9.99/day. I think Disney should include this in the price which seems to be the norm at most hotels these days, but this charge isn't specific to just this Disney hotel.
Overall we had a very nice stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to this ultra-modern Resort hotel and discover award-winning dining, white-sand beaches, spectacular views and dazzling pools. Walk to Magic Kingdom park, or catch the Resort Monorail as it breezes through the iconic A-frame Contemporary Tower. Inside, a 90-foot-tall mural by Disney Legend Mary Blair-responsible for the distinct look and feel of the "it's a small world" attraction-celebrates the Grand Canyon and the American Southwest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Disney's Contemporary Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Contemporary Hotel Orlando
- Disney Contemporary Hotel
- Contemporary Disney Resort
- Disneys Contemporary Resort
- Contemporary Hotel Disney
- Contemporary Resort
- Disney Contemporary Resort
- Disneys Contemporary Hotel