“Fabulous hotel, staff and service”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #90 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at the Contemporary from 12/13-21/08 on our 2nd visit to WDW. Our previous stay was at the Carribean Beach Resort in 2006. We booked a garden wing standard view and were upgraded upon arrival to a tower room #4423. Our outside balcony overlooked the bay lake with the nightly water parade visible from our room. We also saw the ongoing construction of the new tower, but had no complaints of additional construction noise. Our front door housed a beautiful view of Cinderella's castle and an outdoor balcony steps away to view and hear the music of the nightly fireworks.

Any questions we had for the staff were answered promtly and courteously. My daughter celebrated her birthday and received a complimentary trio of balloons with a card hand signed to her by Snow White. My husband and I also celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary and were given a complimentary bottle of Champagne delivered to our room. It wasn't "Disney" themed which was ok with me since your overloaded at the parks. It was nice to come back and unwind a bit to normalcy in the room.

I would stay there again and recomend this location to anyone.

3  Thank IScrapbook1
There are newer reviews for Disney's Contemporary Resort

Reviewed January 1, 2009

We are a family of three adults who are all Disney Fanatics! We were there from Dec 22 - Dec 27, 2008. We chose the Contemporary Resort because this was the last of Disney's Deluxe hotels that we had not previously stayed at and wanted to give it a try. Standing in the lobby at check-in, you would have no idea you were on Disney property because there is no "Disney Theme" and you could just as easily be in a modern London or New York or LA hotel lobby. This was not a disappointment to us, but may be to others expecting the whole Disney immersion experience. Compared to other Disney hotels, the Contemporary disappointed us because it is not designed to be "traveler friendly". Particularly of note is the fact that there is very limited drawer space making unpacking impossible. There were two tiny drawers in one closet under the room safe that were suitable in size for socks and two moderate sized drawers next to one bed that was partially blocked by the built in desk and desk chair. The two closets were small with one made almost unusable because of the built in safe and drawers as well as this being the resting place for the ironing board. They apparently tried to make up for this lack of space by putting a higher and lower bar in the other closet, however, the closet was not designed for two bars and the higher bar might only be usable to hang toddler sized clothing on. The closet contained 6 hangers and I requested a dozen more but only 7 came. Without adequate drawer space, we had to hang up our shorts in the closet. The bathroom was modern and elegant but had no counter space. The twin sinks were about 24 inches long by 18 inches wide and a mere 3 inches deep and were very impractical. This left a counter space roughly 6 inches wide by 18 inches long and totally inadequate. The bath towel rack was far away from the tub and shower and there was no robe hook in bathroom. On the plus side, we had a tower room with a view of the lake (not the Magic Kingdom) and it was very pleasant to sit on the balcony and watch the boaters on the lake. I would suggest staying in the tower if at all possible. I had read comments about Chef Mickey's being very noisy and it was. We were on the 11th floor directly above Chef Mickey's but it was noisy only during breakfast and dinner when we were not trying to sleep. The other big plus was having a computer in the room. It made it easy to request items from housekeeping and access the internet without cost (some websites like Facebook are blocked). They have hard wired internet available but this costs $10 per day. The Contemporary is the least expensive of the three Monorail hotels and certainly not one of Disney's best. When we return to Disney World next year, we'll either stay at the Grand Floridian or Yacht Club, both excellent choices.

2  Thank axnob
Reviewed December 31, 2008

We are "locals" in the Orlando area, so only stayed at the Contemporary for one night to celebrate our four year old's birthday and go to the Magic Kingdom the next day. We had a fabulous one night! We booked a garden view room in the annex building which was the cheapest room available so I wasn't expecting much. However, upon check-in, the agent gave my daughter a big birthday button to wear during her stay and made us feel very welcome. The doorman also spent some time talking to my daughter and acquired some stickers for her and showed her to the lobby TV to watch Disney cartoons while I completed check-in. We made our way to the garden building, which was a little hike, but gave us a great overview of the outdoor areas on our way. The room was clean, very modern and quite large! It had a great bathroom and an in-room computer that you can use to surf the internet for free. We had a view of some trees that blocked the view of the parking lot and had a spectacular view of the monorail's entrance into the main building which was a pleasant surprise for my daughter! The check-in agent also got us breakfast reservations the next AM at Chef Mickey's which I was unable to get by phone the week before as they claimed to be 'booked up.' I don't know how he did it, but I was greatful! My daughter was thrilled to meet all the characters on her birthday morning!

We spent some time at the pool, there are two, in a beautiful lakefront setting. The water slide was fun! The pool was very clean and they give out free life jackets for the little ones that you can hold onto for your entire stay. They also found some toys for her to play with in the pool when she proudly told them that she was there for her birthday. It seemed like everyone went out of their way to make the event extra special.

We took the monorail to the Grand Floridian and had a great dinner there in a cafe'/arcade. It was very convenient to get there and to the Polynesian (as well as the park the next day) with the monorail transportation. We even were invited to sit in the front with the conductor (again due to the birthday button she wore).

Just before bed time, there was a knock on the door and a bellman had a big balloon boquet and a card signed by Mickey and written out specifically to my daughter wishing her a happy birthday. They had asked who was her favorite character when we checked in and I said Mickey, so I guess the card could be from other characters depending on your answer. I didn't ask for the surprise and had no idea that it was coming. It was great (and free!)

After breakfast at Chef Mickey's (a great way to get some character signatures in the autograph book without having to wait on a very long line in the park), we checked out, stored our luggage with the luggage desk and went off to the park. Upon our return, our luggage and car were retrieved in a timely manner and we were on our way home.

I can't say enough about our experience at the Contemporary. No, it's not very high-end luxury (maybe would want to go to the Grand Floridian for that), but it certainly rivals some of the nicer Hiltons and Marriotts that we have stayed at in the past and the customer service was over the top which always makes the stay fantastic! I will return to the Contemporary in the future and recommend it without reservation!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rtpac
Reviewed December 24, 2008

My family and I stayed in a Magic Kingdom view room 12/16-12/21 on the 9th floor. The view of the park was fantastic. We really enjoyed watching the fireworks each night from our balcony. We also had a nice view of the Grand Floridian and beautiful, huge Christmas tree in front of the resort.

The resort is so convenient to the Magic Kingdom. You can either take a 10 minute walk or ride the monorail. Transportation to Epcot was also a breeze on the monorail. However, the bus to Disney's Hollywood Studios took a whooping 40 minutes one morning. We were told the buses were supposed to come every 20 minutes, so that was a bit of an annoyance. Plus, when the bus did arrive the bus driver was rather rude.

All the cast members at the Contemporary that we encountered were very pleasant. In fact, we left a blanket and some pictures in our hotel room. The staff called us at home to verify our address and mailed the precious items to us. Also, we requested a quiet room away from the elevators prior to booking. They definitely honored this request because our room was at the end of the hall, away from the elevators and Chef Mickey's. I really appreciated this.

The food at the Contempo Cafe was ok. There is a really good coffee bar on the main floor that my husband enjoyed. We were picked to be Family of the Day at Chef Mickey's, so that was a very special experience for my kids. The buffet was average. Our server was especially nice, and the kids loved the character interaction. They actually gave us complementary photos of the kids with Mickey for being picked as Family of the Day.

Overall, we had a great stay and special vacation. The reason I have to give the Contemporary 3 stars is that the room was dirty. There was a disgusting ring around the toilet, stains on the carpet, stains on the sheets, dust that must have been there for weeks, and nasty smudges all over the glass window. I have stayed in much cleaner Motel 8s. Therefore, the room did not feel like I place I wanted to return to and relax in.

2  Thank woodlands12
Reviewed December 22, 2008

We stayed at the Contemporary from December 11-15 and had a wonderful time. The room was spacious and we booked a 11th floor room with a view of the Magic Kindgom - to see the fireworks at night over the castle was wonderful. The fact that the monorail ran through the hotel was wonderful and it was a beautiful hotel, very convenient. There were only a few bumps during our stay - the room was nice and there were fresh sheets on the bed (the beds are heavenly, very comfortable and mounds of pillows) but the room was not as clean as I would expect from a hotel charging those prices. The room has not been dusted in quite a while and and the floors had obviously not been vacuumed before we came. But I put in a request using their online concierge and it was done the next day. And the room service we ordered for breakfast one morning was not good - the food was overpriced and cold when it arrived. Other than the so-so housekeeping our stay was wonderful, would highly recommend the Contemporary but we are planning on staying at the Grand Floridian our next trip to Disney.

2  Thank dawn1555
Reviewed December 21, 2008

My wife and I always stay at the Contemporary in our annual visit to Disneyworld during the December holidays. We have stayed at the Grand Floridian, and have considered Wilderness Lodge, but always settle on the Contemporary simply because it provides exactly what we seek: convenience (whether walking to the Magic Kingdom, monorailing to Epcot, or cabbing or busing to the Holloywood Studios), familiarity (we have stayed there over ten times), and excellent service and comfort from the moment we arrive to departure. While the Disney parks are the central attractions for us, it's great to have such an exceptional home-base to return to as needed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sports123
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Just returned from a 6 day/ 5 night stay at the Contemporary on the 12th floor Atrium Club level with concierge lounge. Had a Magic Kingdom view. There were 5 of us, 3 adults, 15 and 4 year old. We all fit fine in the very spacious room and were very comfortable. Do not think I will ever stay at another resort or floor because this was great. Loved the view of the fireworks from our balcony and were quite pleased with all the rooms ammenities. Plenty of food and different offerings in the lounge. Had a few problems and the concierge took care of all of them immediately. They went out of there way to please us and were greatly appreciated. I totally recommend this hotel and the extra cost for the concierge. It's a vacation and being pampered and taken care of is wonderful and what drems are made of:)

1  Thank jennthia