“INCREDIBLE”

Ranked #95 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, Florida
“INCREDIBLE”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I had planned this small mini vacation for myself, my wife and two kids 4 and almost 2. We are Annual Pass Holders and I took advantage of a promotion they had for 35% off rooms from late July through the end of August. I originally reserved a Garden Wing room but after about 4 hours of mulling it over decided to splurge on a tower room with Bay Lake view.

We arrived at 6:45 AM on Thursday 8/21 (we only live 15 minutes from Disney) and the place was like a ghost town except for the Cast Members working. I did the online check in and went to the desk that had the online check in sign on it. The Cast Member said there was an issue and asked if I could follow him. He took my family to the elevator and proceeded to take us to the 12th floor. Evidently one of my customers that I had talked to prior to our trip had gotten my last name and had us upgraded to the Concierge level. What a blessing and what a great time.

Some people may get to experience things like this regularly but for us we felt like royalty. Anything we needed or wanted they were always ready to help. The free breakfast, though not extravagant, was more than plenty for our family each morning. I wish I could remember all names of great Cast Members we met from the bell hops to the management, everyone was pure class. The first night my wife and son were tired so they went to bed after dinner while my daughter and I played in the arcade then went and had some dessert and watched the fireworks from the 12th floor balcony.

The next day I asked if my parents could come up while we got the kids ready. My parents were taking them to 1900 Park Fare while we went out on a date. The lady we talked to was almost taken aback that we asked but told us absolutely that they were more than welcome to be our guests there. My dad was very impressed with the service and the Hors d'oeuvres were incredible. They brought the kids back to the room and took them to watch the movie downstairs for a bit until we got back. We got back around 9:15 so instead of them going back over to Fort Wilderness right away they stayed and watched the fireworks with us.

Next day was more of the same friendliness from the staff that we had come to expect all the way through to our departure. I could not have asked for a better time. The only issue which really wasn't an issue was the chlorine level in the pool and some of the stuff at the kid splash pad was broken.

Other than that for a resort that is 43 years old this place is really magical.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here.
2 Thank daniel m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The great advantage is this hotel is it is easy walking distance from the Magic Kingdom as well as being on the monorail. Chef Mickey breakfast is great. BUT... bathroom was stylishly but impractically laid out - oversize shallow sinks that are hard for small children to use, very little counterspace, no clothes hook for use during showering, etc. Also we had to visit desk 3 times to get the magic wristbands properly keyed with room. And when a package was fedexed to us and then sent by the business center to front desk, front desk personnel initially insisted they did not have it without even looking. But WORST was malfunction of the sliding door entrance to Garden Wing: As I was driving my husband's handicap-scooter through the doors, the doors closed abruptly on me without warning and could not be pushed back. I gunned the motor (which is of course very slow) and my son pushed from the outside, but I still ended up EXTREMELY BADLY bruised along both my arms from being hit by the doors. After I was hit, we immediately iced my arms to reduce the subsequent pronounced swelling and called the front desk. They were very blase and simply said they would call paramedics to take me to the ER if I wanted; that was unnecessary as obviously nothing was broken. I just wanted them to reassure me that they would report the incident to management and get it fixed. When we asked to speak to a manager, they said none was on duty!! So I was left with giant, unsightly, quite painful bruises on the upper and lower parts of both arms for the rest of my stay.

The next morning I noticed a sign on the sliding glass doors to the main building: "Caution - Sliding doors may close without warning". What good is that message - don't enter the building to access restaurants, front desk or monorail because you may get hurt doing so? If there is no warning, how can you protect yourself? The sign also suggested to me that they are fully aware of the problem but have made a deliberate decision not to fix it. I am just glad no small child or disabled person was trapped like this - the results might have been very, very serious.

Despite the convenient location, we won't be staying here again due to this incidence.

9 Thank spry13
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Love the rooms here, very 'contemporary'. Our room looked over the bayside and each night we saw an interesting light show in the harbour. This hotel is convenient to get to the other resorts by hoping on the monorail to directly access parks or to get to the main bus terminal or water taxis. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greaume
Wakefield, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Just like the fundamental flaw in any Disney World trip, where we think by spending more money we'll find more magic, the Contemporary rakes us over the Mickey coals just enough to make it painful rather than fun. But it's okay, especially if you're on the park side.

Room. Tower, park view 9th floor. Our room was really great and clean, with a modern vibe that saved this whole notion of contemporary because the building itself shouts, "Please at least paint me some modern colors!" The view of the park and fireworks every night was simply awesome, a nice alternative to packing onto Main St like sweaty exhausted sardines. We could only afford it by taking advantage of 35% off deal for this season rate that started Aug 17, which still put us at over $400 a night. A steal, right? But still I felt like a have-not crashing a place for the haves.

Hotel. The staff is friendly enough, but in NO WAY personable. I got that same Disney-fied forced pleasantry whether I asked for the pool hours, or asked to get a new shower curtain without blood stains on it (nasty), was looking for my luggage 6 hours after we arrived, called for housekeeping at 5am after my son barfed on the bathroom floor ("have a magical day Mr Johnson."), or when I haggled over the extra $80 they charged me when I updated to park hopper but no one bothered to mention you get wacked with 25% resort taxes to upgrade park tickets. I asked about the laundry room at the front desk, and then came back down for quarters (which you dont need btw-all cc) literally ten minutes later and the same desk person started with me all over again ("Um, yeah. I was just here.") Just another magical cog in the magical machine! When you stay here it's for the room, the mystique, and the monorail, otherwise it's a pretty lonely experience.

Pool. The pool (nice and big) was at all times packed and warm like a Roman bath house, with a team of lifeguards acting out a show of lifeguarding force, pacing the sidelines with their big red floats for the 3 three-foot deep water. Each was good for a shout every few minutes to stop playing with the fountain or to not go down the slide on your belly. There was a cool fun dance party every day that wasnt very cool or fun. We were here for a week and my school aged kids met and became friends with not one other single school aged kid, which was odd... but not really considering it's Disney World and everyone is in their own little miserable bubble. Its fun! It's magical!

Elevators. I think there's, what, 500 rooms? There are 5 cramped elevators that no way accommodate the crowds, strollers, or scooters. And then one gets dedicated for the California Grill every afternoon right at the same time we all need it the most.

Grounds are beautiful and clean. Housekeeping did a decent job on our room except for missing the blood on the shower curtain. People complain about the counter service restaurant but it's no different than any other onsite hotel food court-everyone jostling for refills, shoving Mickey waffles down before rope drop, coming to the slow realization that the meal plan is a total ripoff.

I found that my mornings watching the Magic Kingdom wake up under the rising sun from my balcony were precious. They made me appreciate this hotel and almost...almost... justify just how much money we dropped this past week to stay here.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank RhodeTripper
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best places I ever been, pretty good service and hospitality, I highly recommend for everyone who is looking for spend time with the kids, close to Magic Kingdom and everything. Highly recommended! !

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank otolob
Nesconset, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2014

After reading some mixed reviews, I did not know how we were going to find our 4 night stay at the contemporary. We reserved 4 rooms in the Garden wing. They were beautiful, comfortable rooms. Ours overlooked the lake..what a wonderful view! Even the light show on the lake was terrific. One of the rooms had to be switched upon arrival due to a cigarette smell.. This was not a problem. The staff in the hotel was outstanding. I would definitely stay there again. The convenience to the monorail is worth the extra money. If you have little ones, bring the stroller..you won't regret it! Getting all around requires a lot of walking..especially if you are in the Garden wing!
Our family enjoyed the pool .. They had entertainment for the kids there and a fun slide for everyone.

1 Thank bcar1122
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have stayed at numerous Disney properties over the years and while I loved the location and the use of the monorail and the incredible view of the fireworks from our balcony there are draw backs. Check-in was loud and slow. We were never notified our room was ready. There are no stairs to use and the elevators do not meet the needs during high volume. The pool is small for the amount of guests. On the plus side our room was always clean and the housekeeping staff was friendly. The counter meal area was always clean and the food was OK. The ease of getting to EPCOT and Magic Kingdom is worth the price as was the Magic Kingdom view room

1 Thank klvb11622016