“I liked it as a once and done resort....”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #91 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I have always wanted to stay at the Contemporary and we got the chance for our 33rd anniversary. The resort is the iconic symbol of the Disney line of resort hotels with the monorail running through the middle of the a-frame structure.

We arrived on a Friday and were promptly greeted at the door and the front desk. We signed up for the test when ready room service. This service (just like most other times we have relied on the service) failed to work properly. We only found that we had a room ready through a phone call to the resort. HINT - make sure to program the report's phone number in your phone for any Disney resort.

The room was relatively clean - there were a couple spots on the floor from an apparent juice spill at some point in time but everything else was clean - maybe too clean. As we were getting ready for be we found that the tiled entry had wood cleaner/polish over spray on it making for a slick surface. We called the front desk and the maintenance and house keeping folks were up in minutes. They were wanting to scrub and clean the floors that night but we asked if they could just throw a non-slip rug over the area and clean the following day. The cast had our rug up in a matter of minutes. No complaints after that.

The only nagging issue we had was the house keeping would supply four bath towels, two hand towels and three wash cloths. Three? In the summer I would think most folks would bath morning and night - to that may just be me... Anyway, problem resolved with another call to housekeeping and a supply of 10-12 wash cloths.

All in all my opinion of the resort is one of meh. We enjoyed our stay but found that some of the magic of the iconic resort was myth. The location was GREAT. Though this summer the monorail is going through a modernization program so service does not start until 0830... too late for the plans we made. Service was nice once the monorail started each day. The resort is large and elevator service can feel slow. One car is taken out of service nightly for the Cali Grill - compounding the feeling.

I do have one complaint not resolved during our stay with WIFI. The IT infrastructure folks simply goofed on this resort property. Once on gets away from the elevator core the signal weakens rapidly and drops frequently. I ended up using my personal hot spot while in the room. We had no issue in common areas - only the rooms. I did mention this to the GM who we met on Saturday and will also send a message to the staff through an anticipated survey and through the regular feedback channels. In 2014 this is really unacceptable - especially for a property with a convention center.

So as I write reviews I always ask - will I return... the answer on the Contemporary is maybe. I want to like it and as a DVC member I have stayed on the property once before. More than likely we will stay again - if the Grand Flo has availability issues. If a friend asked me about the resort, I would say go if you can get a decent rate but expect to deal with issues that are associated with the oldest resort on property.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CEWAIT

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Had a Bay Lake View room. Rooms huge, nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. Great in room facilities like a fridge, reliable Wifi. Nice pool, decent cafe and shops, 10 minute walk to the Magic Kingdom. Very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the service and the rooms. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Bay Lake View rooms at the Magic Kingdom end of the building are great. You can nip out through the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank greeny_4
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Buffet-dinner. NEED RESERVATIONS ! like most places at Disney. A lot going on...Disney characters going table to table for photo-ops. Really a fun atmosphere. Monorails going through, up one level, every 10 minutes or so. Food was ok but not the main reason for going. If you have kids, great dinner experience with the characters. A little pricey, especially for a family.

1  Thank Golf_Traverler
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

The location of this resort is the biggest advantage to this resort. Add to that the huge room size and Disney customer service and you have a gem. Our family of 2 adults and 2 children stayed in one room with a view of the magic kingdom. There was plenty of room for sleeping, playing and eating in the room. With 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa bed, it's the perfect size. The balcony afforded is views of the fireworks display from Magic Kingdom. It is expensive but worth the price!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Stacey P
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over thanksgiving and it was absolutely amazing. Had a two bedroom suite with three double balconies that overlooked the kingdom. Club level was amazing and I believe this was the best location and rooms in all of disney. A short walk to the magic kingdom. Watched the amazing fireworks from our balcony every night!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Savananhblue
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was an experience unlike any other for my Disney lovin' family!!! This is, by far, THE BEST place to stay for any Magic Kingdom fan or a person wanting to try an amazing Disney hotel. You can walk to it! We booked a garden wing room simply b/c I have always loved that section of the Resort. Our room was ready @ arrival & we got a magical upgrade w/ a bay lake view! Why was this a "magical" upgrade you ask? At night there is a water pageant that was directly outside of our room. This was such an amazing treat for my family. We danced & cheered from our room. We now have such wonderful memories that we will always cherish. The rooms are beautiful in person, honestly better than the pictures,[& when does THAT ever happen?] real marble floors, not a speck of dust, luxurious, beautiful rooms! As always, Disney delivers the best quality service & exceeds all expectations. The 5 stars can not measure the quality of this place, it is so much more than just a hotel. The pool is perfection,with a great water slide. The monorail that runs right through the tower is a huge draw. The entire place is architecturally beautiful. We had such a wonderful time here. If I could change anything it would be that we should have stayed longer!! LOVE.LOVE.LOVE. Thank you to everyone @ CR that made our stay so AMAZING. I know it takes lots of hard work to do so & we THANK YOU so kindly!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good b/c the resort is not huge, it will just depend on what you are looking for v...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank 2012Happy2012
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have been staying at The Contemporary Resort since I was born! It's always magical to leave your room in the morning, jump right on the monorail and get straight to Magic Kingdom. What's even more magical is when your exhausted after a long day in the park, you can beat the crowds and go right on the express monorail for resort guests only! You are home so much faster than the buses and the rooms are so comfy and amazing. The magical Disney touch down to every last detail. Thanks for such great memories!

Room Tip: Stay in the tower where the monorail is…..some of the garden rooms are a very longggggg walk away an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family