I have always wanted to stay at the Contemporary and we got the chance for our 33rd anniversary. The resort is the iconic symbol of the Disney line of resort hotels with the monorail running through the middle of the a-frame structure.
We arrived on a Friday and were promptly greeted at the door and the front desk. We signed up for the test when ready room service. This service (just like most other times we have relied on the service) failed to work properly. We only found that we had a room ready through a phone call to the resort. HINT - make sure to program the report's phone number in your phone for any Disney resort.
The room was relatively clean - there were a couple spots on the floor from an apparent juice spill at some point in time but everything else was clean - maybe too clean. As we were getting ready for be we found that the tiled entry had wood cleaner/polish over spray on it making for a slick surface. We called the front desk and the maintenance and house keeping folks were up in minutes. They were wanting to scrub and clean the floors that night but we asked if they could just throw a non-slip rug over the area and clean the following day. The cast had our rug up in a matter of minutes. No complaints after that.
The only nagging issue we had was the house keeping would supply four bath towels, two hand towels and three wash cloths. Three? In the summer I would think most folks would bath morning and night - to that may just be me... Anyway, problem resolved with another call to housekeeping and a supply of 10-12 wash cloths.
All in all my opinion of the resort is one of meh. We enjoyed our stay but found that some of the magic of the iconic resort was myth. The location was GREAT. Though this summer the monorail is going through a modernization program so service does not start until 0830... too late for the plans we made. Service was nice once the monorail started each day. The resort is large and elevator service can feel slow. One car is taken out of service nightly for the Cali Grill - compounding the feeling.
I do have one complaint not resolved during our stay with WIFI. The IT infrastructure folks simply goofed on this resort property. Once on gets away from the elevator core the signal weakens rapidly and drops frequently. I ended up using my personal hot spot while in the room. We had no issue in common areas - only the rooms. I did mention this to the GM who we met on Saturday and will also send a message to the staff through an anticipated survey and through the regular feedback channels. In 2014 this is really unacceptable - especially for a property with a convention center.
So as I write reviews I always ask - will I return... the answer on the Contemporary is maybe. I want to like it and as a DVC member I have stayed on the property once before. More than likely we will stay again - if the Grand Flo has availability issues. If a friend asked me about the resort, I would say go if you can get a decent rate but expect to deal with issues that are associated with the oldest resort on property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to this ultra-modern Resort hotel and discover award-winning dining, white-sand beaches, spectacular views and dazzling pools. Walk to Magic Kingdom park, or catch the Resort Monorail as it breezes through the iconic A-frame Contemporary Tower. Inside, a 90-foot-tall mural by Disney Legend Mary Blair-responsible for the distinct look and feel of the "it's a small world" attraction-celebrates the Grand Canyon and the American Southwest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your Disney's Contemporary Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Contemporary Hotel Orlando
- Disney Contemporary Hotel
- Contemporary Disney Resort
- Disneys Contemporary Resort
- Contemporary Hotel Disney
- Contemporary Resort
- Disney Contemporary Resort
- Disneys Contemporary Hotel