“Pleasant Stay”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 18, 2004

Let me start off by explaining why this resort got an above average from me...location. You really cannot beat it. The only "difficulty" you would have is if you were going to Animal Kingdom, but let's be honest. Animal Kingdom requires bus or car no matter where you stay. You can catch the monorail to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT from here or you can walk to the Magic Kingdom which takes maybe 7 minutes. Even going to MGM can be done with some thought. (or bus-sometimes the fastest option) There is also a boat (also goes to Fort Wilderness) at the marina. The rooms are the most spacious of all the resorts-over 500 sq. feet. We chose a first floor North Garden Wing. My chief complaint about the room was the noise level. Always a commotion until about 1 AM. Fireworks can also be heard right inside your room, in case you have little ones afraid of that. The thermostat is motion controlled which makes it stuffy at night sometimes. The halls are a tad dingy and the hotel, in general, is showing some wear and age. They have a very good game room which has ticket redemption. The Food Center isn't that great, but cheaper than the other three places to eat. The decor of the floor makes the Food Center seem dirty to me. We really enjoyed the Concourse Steakhouse and wound up eating there our whole trip. Chef Mickey's is a character buffet in which you need to call ahead of time for priority seating. The California Grill is fine dining. The lounge was nothing out of the ordinary. The Mousekateer Club was fairly good. Could have used more attentive staff though. We were a little disappointed with the pool. It states on the hotel map there is a "kidde/toddler" pool which is false. They do have 2 pools (one is only about 3 feet deep), but we have an infant so swimming wasn't something we did much of. Also, the life vests must be rented out at the marina which is kind of a hassle if there is a long line. The Sammy Duval's Marina has a lot to offer in the way of water rentals usually at half hourly rates. From the beach you can easily see the Electrical Water Pageant and from the front you can easily view the fireworks. In summary, this place is great for it's proximity to MK and monorail access. The spacious rooms are great! This made our stay exceptional with our little one. If it wasn't for the location and room size, I would recommend another deluxe resort. You can always visit it for the water rentals, restaurants, or a look-around.

• Stayed: April 2004
Write a ReviewReviews (3,076)

maryland
Reviewed May 6, 2004

It's sad, what once was great is a disaster. Over the years the hotel has deteriorated. Our last trip in March was the last, we were moved 3 times. There were bugs, broken doors, broken furniture, and mold. The rooms were unsafe for our children. We finally stayed at the Pop Century for only $99 a night and liked it better because it was clean! Spend your money elsewhere- the management is nasty and the hotel is just a money sucking warehouse using families who love Disney. I cannot say enough - try another deluxe Disney hotel like the Animal Kingdom or Grand FLoridian.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stamford, CT
Reviewed April 29, 2004

This hotel was once the company's flagship hotel, and truth to tell, it is still a great hotel to stay in. However, I think when staying at a luxury hotel in Disney it would be my last choice. While there is nothing wrong with it per se, it is showing it's age. It's been there from the beginning, but the Poloniesian has seemed to held up better. It is a wonderful experience for families, especially those with younger children, who would appriciate the monorail for transportation. The restaurants are all good, especially Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Request a room in the main building. Other than that, I'd prefer the Boardwalk Inn or the Wilderness Lodge when staying in a Disney Luxury Hotel, but everyone should at least get off the monorail and have a good look at the lobby and common areas.

Reviewed April 27, 2004

This was our sixth trip to Walt Disney World, we have always stayed in Disney hotels and usually resort hop while we were there, so we have stayed in 12 of Disney's resorts. We were overall disappointed in the Contemporary. We stayed in the Tower with a Magic Kingdom, Seven Seas Lagoon View. The room is spacious but showing it's age. The sliding glass doors whistled during on windy night which was very annoying. The decor is bizarre for our taste. Fireworks from the balcony were awesome. We did have trouble getting our rooms on time. Twice we were assigned rooms that were not yet ready. Recreation facilities were abundant. Pools had little or no theme, but were enough. Although it was interesting to experience this property, we would not go back, unless we had some tremendous discount.

Reviewed April 23, 2004

We stayed in the Contemporary resort in the
garden wing. ALthough the hotel is still impressive,
with it's soaring lobby, interesting theme,
great shops and restaurants, and above all the
monorail running right through, I would not stay in
a garden wing room again. While in the wings, you do not feel that you are even a part of the Contemporary
resort. Therooms are large, but run down. The views
are of parking lots and the service was not as good as i
had expected. The contemporary is still a good
resort, but for the price you have to pay for
a garden wing room, it is just not worth it.

1  Thank jp68
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 10, 2004

We have always stated off site in two bedroom villas and have had wonderful experiences in Orlando. Because this was a weekend trip with just my daughter and me, we decided to stay at the Contemporary, a hotel she had always wanted to try. I was really disappointed in the room, the amenities, and even the grounds. I found service mediocre.
This is not a deluxe hotel and not even as nice as most Marriots, Hyatts and Hiltons. Our room faced the parking lot and had a view of the landscaping equipment and dumpsters. No attempt at a buffer.
Someone tried to open our slider at 2:45 AM. I could hear them at the door, really trying to open it and then they bagan to pound on the door. Although security eventually came, they never let me know what they found. I saw them outside for at least a half hour. The manager the next day was good (it took me all day to connect to her) and insisted that I speak to the head of security to find out what happened. He basicially denied that I had even called , although the manager acknowleged I had called. We lost a day in the park because of it. The food court was disappointing, my daughter's room service meal was inedible, and I was also really disappointed in the early entry-it was way too crowded with only a few attractions open and with one broken down (Rockin Rollercoaster) it was even worse.. Early entry staff at the Studios were quite rude and unpleasant. I feel you get much more off site. I felt like I got a large, clean room but nothing more. Definately not worth the money.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2004

We chose the Contemporary hotel for it's proximity to Magic Kingdom and the fact that it was the one affordable hotel on the Monorail system.
While other reviews have criticized the decor and cleanliness of the hotel, we found the hotel and our room to be clean and very spacious with ample closet and drawer space for a family of 4. Yes, the decor is a bit "over the top", but the hotel is called the Contemporary and is decorated as such. We had a first floor room, in the garden wing, facing the pool and were happy with our proximity to the pool and the main hotel. The hotel staff were friendly. The staff of the Guest and Bell Services on check-in and check-out were quite accomodating and efficient. My only complaint---You have to request a coffee maker AND when you request that coffee/sugar/creamer packs be replenished , you are told "You only get enough for one day". Considering that this is a DELUXE hotel and that you cannot (nor should you have to ) go out and buy coffee packets specifically designed for hotel coffee makers, I was appalled by the staff's response to my request. If you are traveling with young children, and want to stay on the monorail, this is your most affordable option and it is a good one!