“Location and convenience can not be beat”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #93 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights with our 3 children and just loved it! This was our 3rd stay at the Contemporary, we have also stayed at the Animal Kingdom. We stayed on the 10th floor bay lake tower view. The service was friendly and efficient. Our room was large, clean, and comfortable. The view from our balcony was beautiful, and we could see the water parade go by every night.The hotel is somewhat dated, but was clean and comfy. Our room was ready for check-in when we arrived at 9:30am. That was wonderful, as check-in is usually not until after 3pm. The restaurants were nice and the gift shops plentiful. Chef Mickey's breakfast was fun with a nice buffet. Character interaction was great. Contempo cafe was fine for a quick service lunch and pop refills at anytime. Although a grand hotel, it is compact enough to navigate easily.

My children loved the Mickey Mouse shaped pool, and the slide. The lifeguards are very efficient. The monorail comes in right on the 4th floor. You take the elevator right upstairs to your room. After a long day at the parks, this convenience is wonderful! It was wonderful for my parents on a scooter, my sister's family with two kids in a stroller, and for my tired family of five after a long day in the parks. The convenience can not be beat! We took the monorail to Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, the Grand Floridian for breakfast, and the Polynesean for dinner. We also walked (about a 10 minute walk), back to the Magic Kingom one night after the fireworks show, when the monorial wait was significant. This is also a wonderful benefit of staying at the Contemporary. The close proximity to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail is the biggest benefit to staying here. The bus service was also quick, and we never waited more than 10 minutes (at most) to catch a bus anywhere else.

The only negative was one day the monorail was down as we were trying to get to breakfast at the Grand Floridian. We were told there was a "situation", and took a bus there. It was resolved by the time breakfast was over, and we took it back to the Magic Kingdom. The only other negative I would say is the price. It really is outrageous what they charge to stay there. Because of the price, it really is a dream for many people to be able to stay here, along with everything else at WDW. However, in my opinion, it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Request a higher level floor, once the door shut, we could not hear any noise. Bay Lake view was jus...
5  Thank luann13
Write a ReviewReviews (3,142)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I would suggest you not stay at the Contemporary Hotel. The hotel is a large business conference style hotel. Very cold and not a magical experience which you want from a stay at Disney World. There are much better options. Disney is going to struggle with this hotel.

1  Thank DDB0726
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I wrote a review back in 2011 on the Contemporary and have stayed several times since then. I can't say how many times we have stayed at the Contemporary Resort - it has to be upwards of 15 times or more. On our latest trip in April we did run into several problems. We had just returned from a Disney cruise - excellent I must say - for another stay at the Contemporary Resort Atrium Club. This accommodation includes exclusive Concierge service to help you with many things as well as a lounge area serving continental breakfast, snacks during the day, beer and wine early evening and sweet treats at night. Well upon check in our room wasn't ready (they told us they were sold out) so the Concierge member set up our "Magic Bands" so we could go off to Epcot with no problems or worries. Guess what - when trying to make a purchase - I was told I was over my spending limit. What? Luckily my husband was nearby with money in hand. So the "Magic Bands" were not "Magical" the whole day in Epcot. Once we returned to go to our room we asked another Concierge member to check our bands - the previous member didn't properly set up our bands. We were not overly impressed with our Concierge hosts during this stay.

Ok - that's the start. Here we go.... We go to our room after a snack at the lounge. We tried to use the safe and it was broken. I hop into the shower only to have the tub fill with my soapy shower water up to my ankles. Really? I finish with my shower and I come out and my 17 year old and I go out to the balcony to look at the Magic Kingdom view and when I walk back into the room guess what I see? An open condom wrapper on the floor beside the bed. Needless to say I was furious. This put me over. Is this my Contemporary? I went to the Concierge team and explained my problems and demanded they have someone come to clean and repair the room. So they called housekeeping. The head of housekeeping (she was very nice) came to the room. I explained about the condom wrapper and she removed the garbage. I explained about the horrific shower and the problem with the safe. She asked when we would be going out (I told her 5:30pm) - that she would have the room cleaned again for us and have the shower and safe repaired.

We went Downtown for dinner and returned around 10:00pm. They were still working on the shower. The safe was fixed and the room was spotless. The maintenance man didn't leave for another 1/2 hour. The next day we come back from the Magic Kingdom at 2:30pm (we left the room at 8am) to a room still unmade. The housekeeper sees us enter the room and knocks on the door that she is there to clean the room. Seriously?

One other item to mention - the adult pool was closed down for some reason causing a large crowd at the general pool. It was hard to find lounge chairs. A big vacation week in April and they close a pool???????

We have stayed at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian too but have always come back to the Contemporary. I must say - I booked another trip for December to the Contemporary but I will rethink about going back, if I want to take the chance. I am so disappointed in my favorite Disney Hotel. How am I going to continue to recommend this hotel? You know what they say - first time shame on you - second time - shame on me.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank catnjim1
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had booked a garden room for the quiet but got upgraded to the 9th floor of the tower with a Bay Lake view. Glad we did - the balcony over the lake just gave the room the extra it needed - and, although there was lots of noise from Mickey's Cafe just outside the room, once the door was shut, we never heard it. We really enjoyed viewing the lake, especially the decorated boats at night, and we would not have had that in the garden wing.

Room itself was comfortably large - two queen beds and a (comfortable) day bed fit our family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers nicely and there were plenty of outlets near the desk and TV area for all of our electronics. The mini-fridge is roomy enough for all the odds and ends we needed for a several day stay. Plenty of people have griped on TripAdvisor about the lack of shelf space in the bathroom - too true, but it didn't bother us to put our stuff down on the lower shelves below the sinks. Bathroom itself is fitted out pretty nicely - contemporary seems a good word for it.

The convenience of this hotel can't be beat as it is the only hotel with a walking path to the Magic Kingdom and that lets you enjoy the park in the early morning and late evening when it is not as crowded (just don't try to go in when everyone else is leaving after the fireworks!). Note that other hotels COULD have walking paths (i.e. the Floridian and the Adventure Lodge), but Disney seems to be anti-walkway, which is a shame because their bus service is good in theory, but gets all bunched up and waits can be long (45 minutes or so). From the Contemporary, you can also reach Epcot via monorail and Sammy Duval's Water Sports is located out back of the Contemporary (water skiing, jet skiing and para sailing are recommended!). So there is lots to do without getting on a bus.

As for Disney World itself, we enjoyed the convenience of our Magic Bands and the FastPass+ was invaluable. Getting to Downtown Disney for the Cirque Show was extremely difficult and we had to resort to a taxi. They really need to work on their transportation options.

2  Thank bearwald
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights with 3 children age 3,5,8. Had terrible first impression as we arrived after a 9 hour flight and had to go and search for someone to help with our luggage, fortunately the great girl at check in made up for that and kids were given balloons and magic bands etc so very excited. Rooms are ok, quite a bland hotel in general. The food in the hotel is not great unless you eat in Waves or the top floor. Great location as so close and the reason we chose this over Floridian was because we were going at Easter and thought if monorail got busy we could walk out of the park but even though Disney was incredibly busy we never needed to and there is no comparison in this hotel to the Grand Floridian for luxury. Kids loved the arcade, the pool was dreadful...no where to sit as busy and for the price Nearly £1000 per night for 2 rooms we could not even order a glass of white wine "because they don't have any thats good only white sangria" the bar tenders words not ours!!!!!!So much for relaxing after a day at the park. We chose Bay lake view so we could see the water parade but it did not start until 10pm and was not great but the bird watching from our balcony was amazing as is from the Floridian if you like that kind of thing.
If like us you want luxury and Disney please go to Floridian. The monorail goes from Contempory to The Polynesian than Floridian before arriving at the Magic Kingdom then on to Contempory again etc. Overall an amazing holiday but not a good enough hotel for the money and the monorail was never so busy we had to walk.

2  Thank traveller060
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We got the whole Disney package and I choose the contemporary as I prefer the modern hotel style and I felt was the best option.
The reception and main lobby is fully refurbished and nice, the attention was not very polite at the beginning.

As we got our bracelets we were ordered to park the car far away from the lobby by ourselves, after that they showed us in a map, how to get to our room (without company) and we started to realize that the hotel is really old and is not in good conditions for the 480 dollars per night we were paying.

As we arrived to the room, it looked nice, and new but the bathroom got like half and update keeping the old yellowy marble from years ago.

I felt really disappointed because I had stayed at another Disney hotels before and at another luxury hotels outside Disney and I felt the money I was paying was not worthy.

I went to the lobby and they insisted changing us to another equal room but with better view, and that was not what I wanted.

The breakfast and dinning area are depressing and crowded,
Fast chunky food everywhere.

So the manager told me that this was the best hotel category in Orlando and that was when I asked him to leave because I had been in other Orlando hotels of very hight level and even some dollars less expensive.

They refund me the whole money in the minute, and I left to he Waldorf Astoria

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank DebbieBG
Reviewed April 30, 2014

No 'value' here in the traditional sense of the word. The place is very average upscale hotel with pricing that reflects where it is. The pools are great and watched with eagle eyed professional lifeguards- three or four guards standing and scanning poolside. Very comforting to parents of little ones though I suspect it lulls them into not watching their kids because the resort does such a great job! WE hit the park at first opening zipping through all the busy attractions, then cam back to the hotel for 3 hour break midday and pool. Back to the park for late afternoon and evening. Really perfect. Can't imagine trudging back to a car and out of the park if we didn't stay at the contemporary. Our days would have been shorter, compressed during the busy hours and hot cranky kids would have soured us. Being close really made the short visit (three nights) wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for fireworks view. Kids were too tired to stay in park but we heard others could see the action...
1  Thank James N