“Not great for the kiddos”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #89 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Please let there be no confusion: this is a nice hotel with great looking rooms and perfect service. And if my wife and I were in Orlando by ourselves and going to Disney, this hotel would be a great fit.

But we go to Disney for the kids and our toddlers did not have much to look at. Very little Disney theming going on here. You could be staying anywhere from the looks of things. The monorail is very convenient, but the thing has no easy stroller access! You have to ride one elevator to the 4th floor, walk a bit and ride another obscure elevator to get to the platform. Non-stroller folks have an easy ride in with very narrow escalators.

During our stay, we got upgraded to a tower room after only booking one of the garden units. This was a blessing because our hotel overlooked said garden units and that would have been a depressing stay for $320 a night. I don't think anybody would enjoy staying in the step children quarters as my wife referred to them. Since my tower stay was essentially a free upgrade, I won't complain about Chef Mickey's wake up call but remember that you'll have many character breakfasts occuring below your front door. You can imagine there will be some noise.

Lots of construction going on but it didn't seem to bug us too much. Progress is messy! This vacation club/timeshare business doesn't really feel right either, but I guess Disney needs the cash infusion.

I am very conflicted about this hotel. Great location to the Magic Kingdom (you can walk!), great staff and classy interiors but I just didn't feel like I was at Disneyworld. All and all a strange experience, but not a bad one.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank RubberDuckyJJ
There are newer reviews for Disney's Contemporary Resort

Reviewed September 18, 2008

We stayed 4 nights (Sept 10-14) at the Contemporary Resort. We loved our spacious and nicely designed room....an upgrade to a Tower room with a water view. At check-in we were told that we were receiving an upgrade free of charge as part of The Year of a Million Dreams! My family (Mom, Dad, 3 year old daughter and our adult daughter) were simply enchanted by each and every experience, from our super friendly check-in with Judy (from Pittsburgh) at the front desk to the prompt arrival of the bell service to pick up our bags on the morning of our departure. Travel to everywhere is very convenient from this location. We used the monarail service to MK, Epcot and the Floridian, buses to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom and were even able to walk back to the hotel after a long day at the Magic Kingdom. We liked having a character breakfast oppurtunity right in the resort. Chef MIckey's was good food, clean and fun. We appreciated the special things the Contemporary sent to our room in recognition of our Birthdays and Anniversary celebration (ballons, candy, champagne and cards from Minnie and MIckey) ! All in all it was a super good stay at the Contemporary Resort.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank madalemar121
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Contemporary Resort. We loved it! I can't think of one negative thing to say! The room in the garden section was immaculate, and very quiet. Staff members were very polite and helpful. I would also recommend using the Disney Magical Express. The lines were short, moved very quickly, and we were on the bus to our hotel in about 5 minutes. We went right out to the park, so I don't know what time the bags came, but they were there when we returned to the room a couple of hours later. We will definately be back!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank figarobuddy
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Stayed in a room on the 5th floor of the Tower overlooking the lake.
The positives - large room, well decorated and furnished, comfortable bed, coffee and a frig in the room, large bathroom with double sinks, plenty of closet space.
The negatives - room was overlooking "Chef Mickey" and it was very loud. There was a dirty wash cloth in the bathroom, I received 2 useless voicemails from hotel staff, and the sinks would not drain. Finally, the staff was not what I remember from other Disney trips. Apathetic, unfriendly, and generally not interested in helping.
Net - I will stay at a different property next time.

Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank cinncitraveler
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Recently returned from a cake convention, and stayed at the Contempory Resort.

I was bitten by bugs two different nights in a row in my bed.
I was covered in bite marks on my legs, neck, and arm.

Staff came to room, changed linens, but didn't seem too upset about the situation.

I had to go to the emergency room after the second attack of the bugs.

Just BEWARE OF BED BUGS AT THIS HOTEL!

Stayed: July 2008
6  Thank jeanbcole
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My family of 4 stayed in a Tower Room for 3 nights, July 2 - 5. This is a Great Location. Previous reviews have talked of the remodeled rooms. Our was on the 7th floor overlooking the lake.
We used the Magical Express and knew our luggage would be later getting there, so we packed what we would need in our backpacks which we took on the plane.
After checking in and putting our "stuff" in our room, we headed to the Park and our luggage was in our room when we got back that evening. We did have to wait a few minutes before the bus left the airport, however I would definately use this option again.
The only issue we encountered was the room safe. The previous guest had closed it and we were not able to open it. We called and the Maint man came up but said he could not get it in as a "Manager" had to do it. Even after calling again the next day, we never saw anyone. However, we just used the safe deposit box at the front desk, so this really wasn't an issue, just a llittle inconvenient.

We had not made dinner reservations before we left, however I had no problem making them for the 3 days as soon as we got in our room. (Excluding Castle reservations, which are near impossible).

The Staff in the hotel, at the pool and marina, were all top notch and provided everything we asked for. If going to WDW I would stay here again.

Have a GREAT Trip

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank jandrsmith
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the CR again for the third year in a row. This year we stayed on the concierge level, and it was absolutly worth the extra money. Free drinks, free snacks and if one night you dont feel like eating out they have good enough appetizers to fill you up. The staff was extremely nice to the point where we felt like royality. Our daughter was 2 years old this year and she loved it. The lifeguards at the pool were very nice and polite and they held different games every 30 min for the kids at the pool to play and played along side as if they were best friends, they even had movies at night pool side on a big screen for everyone to watch. The view of the MK was excellent as always, and the fireworks everynight were amazing especially on the 4th. The monorail as always is very convientant, as well as the buses to and from the parks that the monorail dosent. The extra magic hours are a huge plus for anyone staying on Disney grounds. All in all a very very great experience and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family