“Great 50th birthday..”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #93 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights in March in a theme park room. The room was beautiful and the view of the Magic Kingdom was wonderful. From watching the fireworks every night to seeing the castle the first thing in the morning. Having the monorail is a big plus, was nice to just hop on with our morning coffee. The pool area is also nice , we rented a private cabana oneday, its worth the money, our attendant Erin was top shelf. The only thing that we did find a pain was that they dont have a seperate elevator just for hotel guests.One night we grabbed a couple of lobster rolls from the Contempo Cafe, they were actually pretty good, they have a nice selection for breakfast also.

Room Tip: If you can afford it..I would get a theme park room...its worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,120)

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

You would think that having a monorail run through the hotel would create a lot of noise when it starts running at 7 am. But really, and I was on the 4th or 5th floor, you can't hear it. Especially because if you have kids and you're in Disney World, you're proubably up by 7 or 8 am anyways. However, if you have elders or babies staying with you, I would suggest either requesting a higher floor so you can't hear the noise at all or staying at the new tower they built. The new tower doesn't have a monorail running through it, however it is still owned and part of the Contemporary Resort. Overall we had a lot of fun, and having a monorail in our building on the 3rd floor was very convenient.

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference in the garden wing. I was all the way down by the water, with the longest walk from the conference possible, but that was about a two minute walk. The room was clean and spacious and I particularly liked the desk space for the laptop. I loved the magic bands that were used for everything from room key to charges to theme park entrance. Once on my wrist, I never noticed again except every time I needed it and it was there.

One note for anyone staying in the garden wing by the water, the ferry boat on a few mornings really laid on the horn right outside the room super early in the morning (it was still dark out ~530am) and woke me up for a second. I didn't mind but if you have babies or someone that doesn't want to be disturbed, it could be a problem.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank loudube
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We chose this location because we have 2 small boys 3 and 18 months. we could walk to Magic Kingdom in about 8 minutes. We rented a double bob stroller from kingdom rentals and so using a dbl on the buses is a pain. The monorail to get to MK is a little long but coming back if your feet are tired the ride is quick. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. The fold down couch is very nice. I have one complaint the tile is very and I do mean very slippery and our little ones had a rough time on the tile at time. We had a pool and bay view and at night we could watch the electric water parade. The food in both Chef Mickey's and the other dinning option on the 4th floor where nice. We had the dinning plan but probably won't do that again. We stayed 6 nights and have decided this is our resort of choice for our future returns. The Magic bands are great because no room keys are needed and for the most part no cash needs to be carried. Unless you want to buy your child a balloon or a light toy at night. they only take cash. We also did the memory maker photo plan that if you buy ahead of time you save 50$. It makes it nice if you have the opportunity to use their photo people. Check in was so speedy and the bell desk guys where great to our boys!!! We had a someone above us jumping on the floor as our kids tried to nap and a quick call down to the front desk and we never heard another peep out of them. The pool was nice but the water play area with the sprayers was not fully functional only about half of it worked which was kind of a bummer. the pool bar was nice and the bartender friendly and our son loves hot dogs and they have them only at the pool snack area... We did laundry which is in another building than we stayed and it only akes credit cards so be aware of that. We did enjoy our stay at the resort....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Overall, my family loved our stay at the Contemporary Hotel. I stayed there in 1980 and had fond memories of the place, and it has aged mostly gracefully with some nice renovations.

First the exceptional:

1. The service from the hotel staff is exemplary. We stayed on the Club Level and the Concierge team was gracious and professional and helpful in every way. The concierge lounge was well stocked and kept neat. The pool staff and lifeguards were great too. We were greeted with smiles by every hotel employee we encountered.

2. The California Grill - the food is 5 star, the service prompt and knowledgeable. We went twice, and wanted to go two more times!

3. The outdoor movie night for kids - our little one loved it!

4. The monorail - so close and so much fun!

5. The new wristbands are just out of this world awesome! It's convenient and works great. Thank you Disney!!

Next, the great:

1. The location is great for the MK - but it's a bit of a haul to EPCOT and it's a long way from the Studios and Animal Kingdom and the water parks. So it depends on what places you want to be close to. Very good for viewing the fireworks.

2. The pool - while it was not themed and not huge, it had a nice water slide and lots of chairs and even a beach nearby.

3. The Contempo Cafe - quick ordering and good food at this counter service place.

4. The Wave - while not as great as California Grill, it's an inspired place with very good food.

Now, finally the Quirks and not so good:

1. The bathroom sinks - while they certainly are "contemporary," their design is quite poor. They take up a huge amount of bathroom counterspace and are just generally in the way. Whose idea were they? The rest of the bathroom is fine, but we kept laughing about the useless mega sized sinks.

2. Why do the housekeeping staff not regularly replace shampoo and conditioner? Are they in short supply? We had to ask on a few occasions and got more. This was just odd. Otherwise, Housekeeping was great.

3. Chef Mickeys - I hate to diss Mickey, but this place is grossly overpriced and the food is better across the way at the Contempo Cafe for like 1/4 the price. You can see Mickey elsewhere. They should make this a better buffet (like a Las Vegas style), or stop charging so much!

4. Checking in on floor 2 for the California Grill - is this really needed anymore? It causes confusion for folks who wander around floors trying to get up to the 15th floor!

5. The wine in the concierge was pretty lame (and the same every night). How about something French, Italian, or Spanish? Or use World Showcase as a theme! For the concierge prices, I'd expect a little fun variety.

That's it! Overall, we'd go back to this lovely property.

Room Tip: Go high. And look at the MK side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank RWTraveler
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in the Garden Wing last weekend. The rooms are very spacious. There was 2 queen beds and a fold out sofa with plenty of room. It is nice not being in the main tower because it is very quiet and you can decompress from the frenetic Disney pace. It is just a minute walk to the main building which has plenty of amenities. We chose a parking lot view for cost savings. We could see a little bit of the fireworks from the room. It is convenient to the monorail and a short walk into the magic kingdom. My only real complaint is that they put the smoking areas right at the entrances so you always walked through a cloud to go into the building. The resort itself has a nice pool area. There is plenty of activities including the often forgotten boat parade at night. We would definitely stay there again

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank thebutcherclan
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying at Disney's Contemporary resort since I was 6 years old and it is a wonderful place to stay when visiting Walt Disney World. My recent visit did not disappoint and was everything I remember it being and more. I used to visit with my parents, sister and brother yearly throughout my childhood years and now that I'm adult and can bring my own children it is even more magical! We had a Magic Kingdom view in one of the tower rooms. The only drawback is that the rooms are pricey but then again, so is everything at Disney. The hotel still has so much charm with a contemporary flair of course, and besides the Grand Floridian there's no place better to stay in Walt Disney World and I've stayed at many of the other resort hotels. I always stay on property when visiting because I find the transportation to the four parks easier. Last year we stayed at Bay Lake Towers which is the new vacation club property adjacent to the Contemporary which was also very nice as it had a full kitchen and separate bedroom. I still prefer to stay in the main tower at the Contemporary because of the ease of access to restaurants and shops in the hotel. Overall a magical experience!!

• Stayed: March 2014