“Despite the reviews, we couldn't have been happier!”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #94 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 19, 2014

First let me start by saying that I am fairly picky when it comes to hotels. We typically stay at a W, Loews, Westin type hotel. I feel that the Disney Deluxe resorts are overpriced. We stayed at the Grand Floridian a few years ago. While I felt that it was a nice hotel, we really paid for the location. This year we were taking another trip to Disney with a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. We wanted to stay at a monorail resort but didn't want the GF again. The Poly seemed dark and I didn't like how many separate buildings they have. The Contemporary was in a great location and the rooms were updated. Here is my take on our 3 night stay:

Service:
EXCELLENT! We were greeted by name when we arrived. Our kids were given stickers by every "cast member" they encountered. They had all of our paperwork ready, prepared a birthday button for our 2 yr old and even prepared a button for a 5 yr old so she wouldn't feel left out.

The staff went out of their way on more than one occasion. We left a brand new jacket on the bus and reported it a few minutes later. We never expected to get the jacket back. We were so happy when they called to tell us that after calling the transportation team and the lost and found department, they tracked down the jacket!

We were also given the wrong room type. I called down to the front desk to tell them that 1 king bed wouldn't work with 2 small children. I didn't even ask to speak to a supervisor but one got on the phone and told me that they were moving us to a new room. I also asked if the hotel still provided a birthday card and something special for a child celebrating a birthday. She told me that they aren't consistent with what they do but given the circumstance and the room mix-up, she would see what they could do. They went ABOVE and BEYOND by placing an autographed card, balloons and some gifts for BOTH kids. It made the experience for our children very special.

The front desk also helped to make arrangements to deliver a small birthday cake to the room. All in all, EVERY single person we encountered was friendly, kind and extremely accommodating.

Room:
Nice, Updated, Perfect for our family. Only minor complaint is the noise that you hear from Chef Mickey's at night. With a 2 yr old, we were back in the room fairly early. We probably heard the noise more for that reason. Our kids slept soundly and weren't even woken up by the Electrical Parade each night.

Overall:
The hotel itself is ok. I am not a "Disney" person and could care less about the theme of a hotel. If you are looking for a theme, then the GF or Poly is for you. At the same time, the isn't what I would expect for $600 a night. But, with a FL resident discount, the room was closer to $385-$400. Still a bit high but worth every penny for the convenience of the monorail. All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near Chef Mickey's.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank mbh0324
Write a ReviewReviews (3,075)

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

If yoy were a family just wanting to go to the theme parks then this is the hotel for you. There is a monrail that takes you to multiple parks and there are buses on the lower level that take you to every theme park in Disney. This hotel has a good pool and descent sized bedrooms. The staff are very friendly! There is chef mickey's downstairs which is a really good buffet for kids. If you were not planning on going to the theme parks then I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel because it is all based on the Disney theme parks. It is a overpriced. So if you aren't financially prepared to pay $300-$600 per night then I would not go to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I, along with 5 other people, visited Disney World in November of 2013 and stayed at the Contemporary Resort. My wife and I have taken our children to Disney World since approx. 1978 and have enjoyed each and every trip. We have stayed both on and off the Disney grounds over the numerous trips. The two times prior to this we stayed at two of the theme resorts and had nothing but good things to say about everything.
We felt that we would spend the extra money and experience, what we considered, would be the best Disney has to offer. The Contemporary Resort has been in existence since our first visit and something we felt would be the FLAGSHIP of Disney World resorts. We booked everything through Disney and the Disney World experience was up to and exceeded our expectations as did all previous visits.
The staff at the desk was very helpful and we had no problems in regards to booking in and finding our rooms.
However, there are some concerns which we felt were not consistent with the way Disney always says and does treat the visitors.
1. We had the meal plan and did not think that we would be ordering our meal from a billboard. The prices being charged seemed to be above average and felt that we were paying for more food than we normally eat.
2. I wanted a couple of pieces of toast but this was not included with the set meals so I had to stand in line to get a couple of pieces of bread to toast. This was $.60 extra – not included with the meal plan.
3. Included in our meal plan was one meal at a restaurant away from the Contemporary Resort. The meal was great but when we figured out our remaining meals on the plan, we found that it cost each of us two meals off our prepaid plan. This resulted in trying to balance the meals over the remaining days.
4. I realize that it is a bad habit etc. but I do have a cigarette every so often. When I looked for a place to have a cigarette it was very hard to find and not very handy. The area was at the front of the building, nowhere to sit other than on a curb. This might be fine for young people but some older people have problem getting down off a curb. Also, in the area, there were flowers which had been watered and the curb and sidewalk were wet.
5. One day, the room had been cleaned but we were not given clean glasses from the previous day. We do not live that way at home so why should we pay large sums of money to lower our standard of living.
Disney Word was fun but our family would not consider staying at the Contemporary Resort again and, if asked, would not recommend this resort to anyone going to Disney World.

Thank you.

Room Tip: To make it worth while, book a room where you are able to view the fireworks in the evening.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank James D
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband and I utilized the Disney transportation from the Orlando Airport plus also their express luggage...both were EXCELLENT!!! The minute we exited the bus we were greeted by a Disney employee who took us to the check in counter. Since we had done everything on line check in was a breeze. We were given a room on the eighth floor facing the magic kingdom. The room was clean but the best thing was the VIEW!!! Watching the fireworks at night from the comfort of our room was the best!!!!

Would definitely go back to this hotel again!!! Love having the monorail in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LavernR_13
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the end of December through beginning of January. 3rd floor room in Garden Wing. About a 5 min walk from the lobby and more from the monorail. Leave extra time if you need to use the elevators...it's pretty crazy most of the times with all the strollers and the electric scooters (really...it's like an electric scooter mecca at Disney!).

Check in was not as smooth as I thought it should be. Before arrival, I checked in online and Disney makes it seem like you walk up and get your keys and you're done. Not in our case. The line for online check in seemed longer than the regular check in area and the agent didn't really seem to know what he was doing (maybe he was new?). He asked for my credit card even though I provided it online and my packet clearly said "credit card on file." He couldn't tell me where the Garden Wing was on the map. I didn't get the same info as the family checking in next to me.

It was really nice being so close to Magic Kingdom and the monorail was convenient but would I pay for the convenience again? Probably not. We stayed during probably the busiest time of the year and rates were outrageous, so I do a little ripped off since I know that same room is probably $400 cheaper during the low season.

Room was updated and spacious (3 adults and 2 small kids). Bathroom looked great, but hate the sinks. Sinks are large, rectangular and shallow and they take up almost all of the counter space. Water splashes everywhere when you turn on the faucet. There are no hooks to hang up towels or clothing. Water (from the shower and sinks) smells weird...maybe a Disney thing? A previous visit where we stayed off-property in a rental house did not have the same odor.

Housekeeping was great. Food was good too (only ate at Chef Mickeys...make sure you have a reservation and the Contempo Cafe).

Wifi was good in room and the main resort. Even MK had great wifi. Epcot's wifi was pretty poor.

If you want the convenience, the Contemporary is great. I'm glad we got to experience it once, since we always have stayed off-property. Unless there's a fantastic deal (which I've heard they exist), I don't think I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Garden Wing is far but quiet. We were in room 5355 and had a partial view of the fireworks from MK b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FoodieNYer
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We planned a short mid-winter vacation in conjunction with the Disney Half-marathon. In the past we always stayed at the Polynesian because of the Monorail but we decided to try a different MK resort. The trip included 6 adults. We reserved a suite in the Contemporary's Bay Tower and two single rooms in the South Building.

The layout of the suite was very nice and included a small eat-in kitchen so our group could meet each morning for breakfast. The bathroom was spacious and included a rainforest shower. The suite had a second bathroom and a washer/dryer. The bed was comfortable. The suite was clean and housekeeping was responsive.

The furnishings and decor were very dated. Rather than futuristic it seemed the room was stuck in the 50s. The wear and tear was obvious. The couch was stained, the roman shade didn't work, the door to the balcony would not close properly and nicks and gouges were evident on the furniture and in the bathroom. The lighting in the bathroom was inadequate for make-up application.

The coffee was the worst. We actually went to the main building to purchase coffee as the coffee maker results were dark brown water.

The lobby is not very welcoming or exciting and there is no place to just relax and people watch. The Contemporary is very fortunate to have a staff that epitomizes the Disney ideal and can mitigate to some extent the problem with the property,

I am reluctant to write such a terrible review because in all other respects (including the race) the vacation was terrific but I was very disappointed in the Contemporary and am not inclined to stay there again.

Room Tip: South side Bay Tower rooms experience the water parade every night at 10:15. Very loudly even with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lacatt
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Just back from our first family trip to Disney December 25, 2013 - December 31, 2013. We had a GREAT trip and cannot wait to go back. Our family of 4 consisted of 2 adults and 2 children ages 3 & 6. We stayed at Disney's Contemporary Resort with a theme park view... 10th floor... room 4635. It was worth every single penny that we spent. From the transportation at the airport to the front desk staff to all the service people we had such a great time. It went off without a hitch. Food was very plentiful. I made the mistake of ordering groceries from Garden Grocer (FANTASTIC SERVICE) to the room, not knowing how much food would be provided in our meal plan. The portions are massive and often fed our whole family with one meal instead of 4 meals. It's unreal. Disney is NOT the place that you will ever go hungry.

The room had a great view, was very clean and quiet. We did not hear chef mickey's once on this floor. Space was fine and our fridge was great for cold storage. We did not see any dirt or bugs and the beds were super comfy. First time in my life I ever slept well in a hotel bed (I've traveled lots).

I can't believe how all the staff at Disney made us feel special with each and every encounter. They went out of their way to be very nice to us and our children. I did not encounter one cast member that was not over the top nice. What a great place. They made our girls feel like they were the most important kids in the park every day.

We did encounter a little bit of rain, but it was still warm and didn't slow us down in the least. The stroller service is fantastic. The crowds were huge Christmas week, but everything flowed so well that we didn't even notice.

I recommend downloading the smart phone app and taking full advantage of the fast passes. The park opens to Disney resort guests an hour early... so we took advantage of that and got to all the busy rides first thing in the morning. The magic bands a super good and we didn't need a penny on us to pay for anything. It all got charged back to our room.

I cannot say enough good about the whole experience and I cannot wait to go back again. It is highly recommended!!!

Only one thing I will point out is that the entrance in our room had marble floors that carried into the bathroom. They were EXTREMELY slippery and our kids fell several times on the first day. We did slip ourselves as well. I would suggest making it clear to your kids upon arrival that they do not run on or near that flooring. That is what we did once we realized the issue and our kids were fine the whole week.

The location of the hotel is second to none, especially if you have small kids. Even on the busiest week of the year we did not have trouble with transportation.

I want to say thank you to all the staff at Disney especially the hotel that made us feel so special and did such a good job. Thank you to everyone who worked on Christmas Day/Week to make this very special trip for our family a possibility.

See you again!

Room Tip: Theme park view, especially if this is your first time and you have small kids. The chances of you b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family