“Great Rooms and Location”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My family of 4 stayed in a Tower Room for 3 nights, July 2 - 5. This is a Great Location. Previous reviews have talked of the remodeled rooms. Our was on the 7th floor overlooking the lake.
We used the Magical Express and knew our luggage would be later getting there, so we packed what we would need in our backpacks which we took on the plane.
After checking in and putting our "stuff" in our room, we headed to the Park and our luggage was in our room when we got back that evening. We did have to wait a few minutes before the bus left the airport, however I would definately use this option again.
The only issue we encountered was the room safe. The previous guest had closed it and we were not able to open it. We called and the Maint man came up but said he could not get it in as a "Manager" had to do it. Even after calling again the next day, we never saw anyone. However, we just used the safe deposit box at the front desk, so this really wasn't an issue, just a llittle inconvenient.

We had not made dinner reservations before we left, however I had no problem making them for the 3 days as soon as we got in our room. (Excluding Castle reservations, which are near impossible).

The Staff in the hotel, at the pool and marina, were all top notch and provided everything we asked for. If going to WDW I would stay here again.

Have a GREAT Trip

6  Thank jandrsmith
Write a ReviewReviews (3,074)

Reviewed August 5, 2008

We stayed at the CR again for the third year in a row. This year we stayed on the concierge level, and it was absolutly worth the extra money. Free drinks, free snacks and if one night you dont feel like eating out they have good enough appetizers to fill you up. The staff was extremely nice to the point where we felt like royality. Our daughter was 2 years old this year and she loved it. The lifeguards at the pool were very nice and polite and they held different games every 30 min for the kids at the pool to play and played along side as if they were best friends, they even had movies at night pool side on a big screen for everyone to watch. The view of the MK was excellent as always, and the fireworks everynight were amazing especially on the 4th. The monorail as always is very convientant, as well as the buses to and from the parks that the monorail dosent. The extra magic hours are a huge plus for anyone staying on Disney grounds. All in all a very very great experience and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

8  Thank JB&RB
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We stayed here for a long weekend, and absolutly loved the resort. I am a big fan of the modern theme throughout the resort. The rooms are very spacious and confortable. We stayed on the 8th floor of the main tower in a Magic Kingdom view room. The monorail make this resort a major benefit for families with children. I was traveling with an 8 year old and he absolutly loved the monorail, and the fact it ran through our resort. We visit Disney World 1-3 times a year, and this resort is one of my favorites. Although it costs a little more it is worth the extra money. With our room we were able to see the castle during the day and at night, and we were also able to see the fireworks. Great Stay at the contemporary. My only complaint would be the sinks in the bathroom are very shallow.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
6  Thank volk04
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed in July with my daughter, gr-daughter and 3 gr-grandchildren. The service at the front desk during check in was not good. The staff was not friendly, very matter of fact , seemed to not want to be there. There was a problem getting our luggage taken to the room and then when checking out, getting our luggage taken down to the car. Housekeeping staff was the exception, they never failed to speak when meeting you in the hallway, smiled at everyone. I had a problem also with the tipping policy. We had 3 adults, 2 children and one infant. The dining plan doesn't cover children under 2 so our baby was expected to share a plate. I had no problem with that but I did have a problem that they considered us to be a party of 6, even though the baby was not on the plan. A party of 6 or more is charged an 18% gratuity. I explained that the baby should not be counted as part of the party because he had no meal, they said it was policy to count 6 people at the table whether they ate or not. This is an out and out rip off.

3  Thank donsand
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My family stayed here for a week. We were in the Garden rooms and had a first floor room with a little patio. It was convenient. Never needed an elevator. The rooms are spacious and the sleeper couch is amazing. It flips over in an instant and is very firm and comfortable. The decorations are great. It is all in hues of greens, browns and tans with a hint of orange. We liked it so much we are painting our bedroom like this. We loved the lighting, the sliding doors in the bath , the two part bath and the new large double flat sinks. There are two and we would use one to place our clothes when we washed. Loved the ladder type towel rack too..The desks are spacious so lots of room to do work, play games etc. It is contemporary and we loved the unique furniture throughout the resort. It is on the monorail system and travel is a breeze. We loved being on the fourth floor and seeing the monorail zoom through the building. Every thing was very clean and attractive too. The pool is simple but large. There is one large deeper one in the back. The ducks parade through now and then while we swim and are adorable. All in all, we had a great experience. A good choice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank charellen
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed at the Contemporary for 3 nights in June. We were in Florida for 2 weeks and stayed on Disney property for 7 nights. (The other 4 nights were at the Beach Club Villas.) The reason for the split stay was because we wanted to be within walking distance to the parks. When we went to Disney World in 2006, we had dinner at Chef Mickey's and my son loved that the monorail ran through the hotel so we made sure to book it for our stay this year.

Being 8 people and being on vacation for 2 weeks, we could not afford tower rooms, so we opted for 2 rooms in the garden wing. BIG MISTAKE. As soon as we left the check-in desk and started walking to our rooms, and then walked out of the main building, my kids started crying that we weren't staying at the hotel! They wouldn't be able to see the monorail. I assured them it was the same hotel, just a different section. When booking the rooms, I didn't realize just how far away these rooms were from everything else. We had to walk a long ways to get anywhere, from the monorail, to the restaurants, to the stores, to the bus stop, to the Magic Kingdom walkway, etc.

The inside of the rooms was wonderful! Very large rooms and the beds were very comfy. We used the second sink as storage space and loved that there were extra closets, a big fridge, nice TV, computer, etc. Husband liked that the "contemporary" decorations (vase, bowl ,etc) were bolted down, as they looked fragile and he was afraid that our kids would knock them over and break them! We didn't notice any noise from the nearby river or the construction.

What we didn't like was the long trek to everywhere. We felt like the poor country cousins staying in the shed out back. If we ever stay here again, we will definitely shell out the extra money for tower rooms.

Also, quick dining food options were extremely limited. We ate at the Tempo Grab and Go but there were few choices. A counter service restaurant would be nice. Chef Mickey's was overpriced and the food was so-so but it was as expected.

I would like to add that the cast members were very nice. I lost my wallet the first day and it was immediately turned in to the concierge. I asked the Tempo Grab and Go workers (where I had been when I lost it) and the nice lady searched all the trash cans and was genuinely concerned for me.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank JulieNMM
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My family and I (3 boys ages 9,6 & 1 and husband) stayed at the Contemporary from June 27 to July 3rd. Overall everything was great however I was a bit disapointed on a few things. One I was not thrilled with the bathrooms....the double sink left no room for any of our "stuff"...and I found the bathroom could have been a bit cleaner.....ie: the fan in the ceiling was covered in a thick layer of dust.....just one of my issues and may not bother most people but it was an oversight....and for the price of the rooms I felt it should have been spotless! The glass on the slider doors were left with tons of fingerprints...yet agian not a big deal but did bother me.. There was lots of noise from construction outside the hotel at the former North Garden Wing AND the demolition of the Concourse Steakhouse was in full swing as well. We had one night of no hot water from 11pm to 6 am...and an block of time on another day where the fire alarm was being tested during the day. Again small stuff.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family