“Stayed twice with grandkids and couldn't be happier!”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best location, best views, great accommodations, and excellent conveniences. Our minor problems of the door lock needing a new battery, a slow draining sink, and a refrigerator needing replaced paled in comparison to the outstanding services, staff, and value of the Contemporary Resort.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,111)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

The contemporary resort, despite having been pruned through the addition of the new hotel, is still in the best position for holidaymakers. Not only does it sit on the monorail links, it also is only a short walk to the Magic Kingdom, which makes it a wonderful destination.

Rooms are large and the hotel is typical Orlando: large, comfortable and clean. Although it costs more, be aware that its position more than make up for the extra costs. In short - great hotel, best arcade anywhere in Disney, good service and good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Salin M
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This resort is convenient. If you have small children and need a convenient hotel, this is the place. The rooms are nice and clean and the access to the monorail is wonderful. The location is perfect for a young family.

The hotel does not have a typical Disney feel. It is kind of cold and offers little towards a "magical" experience. I would not call it contemporary, but rather semi 1970. The pool area seemed OK and they offered lots of family friendly activities.

I was traveling for business so not the best place to that kind of stay. There is only one "real" restaurant(The Wave) and the food was not that great. The other restaurant is currently under construction. We took the monorail to The Polynesian for dinner and that was a much better atmosphere.

Room Tip: The garden room are very quite. If you have small children the first floor gives you easy access to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JennE1101
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Just finished our first day at our favorite room in Contemporary. We arrived at 9:00 am and our room was ready; which is unheard of and awesome!!! Many thanks to the front desk. Place is slammed with conventioneers and smokers. Not cool. Pool area great as always and the staff here is always excellent. Little bit of construction at entrance, but not too bad. The 10 min walk to Magic Kingdom is what keeps us coming back. Tried to get another night....booked solid. Great place to stay!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am only in the second day of our stay but I needed to warn you about the service. We have a room on the eight floor facing the park. The view is great and the room is ok. We came into the room and found that a light switch turned on nothing. I come to fine that a light was not plugged in. No big deal, but when you pay 350 plus a night you should expect better. My son then went to the bathroom and was locked in. It is a sliding door that closed but would not open. I had to use alot of force. When I say alot I bench 225lbs and I had to use more force than my 13year old son could provide. Well if that was it I would not be writting this. When we came back to our room someone from Disney had left a travel packet in our door for room 4333. The problem it was not for us and our room is 4433. Not even the right floor. I called the front desk and told them of the problem and the said they were sorry about that and then they hung up on me. I called back they were I told them about the problem and they were about to to transfer me and I had to insist the person I was talking to needed to take care of the this. I was just trying to fix a problem they made. And finally. Just as we were about to go to sleep Bang, bang bang. Comming from the a/c. This is just 24 hours of a 6 day stay. I let the manager know about the problems. He said he would look into and get back to me. No "I am sorry". have gotten better service at the Dury Inn in GA that at Disney. I will update this later, but BEWARE you are paying for a view NOT service. The low marks on value is because it is not a great value although Disney does offer value hotels. I am paying for better service and more amenities. I am not upset about the price just the service. Disney you set the bar, you should be able to reach it. I will update after day 2.

2  Thank Lastgoodknight
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for business and vacation. Because I was here for a conference, I was given a Garden View room. I knew ahead of time this would mean a far walk to the main building, but even more so when they gave me a room at the very end of the hallway. Oh well.

The hotel itself is nice and clean. I don't care for the decor at all....too much Ikea for my taste. Not Disney or family friendly at all. The room was large and the beds were decent for a hotel.

Ok, now on to the stuff I didn't like, because that is really why people read reviews!

1. Our refrigerator did not work. This was upsetting, because we had gone to great lengths to pick up groceries at the airport from a friend, including milk, lunch meat, cheese, and mayo. (Plus, for the price of this hotel, I expect a working fridge!) The first day of our stay, I called THREE times to have the fridge fixed. They even brought a new one, plugged that in...obviously didn't check it again because that darn thing still didn't work. Finally, the 4th call resulted in yet another new fridge and the woman put it in the middle of the room, rather than in the stupid cabinet thing. By the next morning, the fridge was nice and cold. But unfortunately, it was too late for our food - it was spoiled.

I stopped by the front desk and gave them a list of the food that we had lost. By late afternoon, our fridge was restocked with what we had lost. I really appreciated their extra effort to correct the issue.

2. Our room did not get cleaned most days until 4pm in the afternoon. I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous. When I come back to my room around 1 or 2 in the afternoon for a break from the parks, I expect a clean room. Instead, the unfriendly maid did not visit until 4pm and it was downright annoying. I called after the 3rd day and requested our room be cleaned by 1pm. Of course, that made no difference.

3. The location is great of course. However, be forewarned that this hotel does share the bus service with the Poly and the Grand Floridian. That was annoying. For a pricely deluxe hotel, I expected it to have it's own buses.

4. As someone else mentioned - the Magical Express stops here, then Poly, Fort Wilderness, and Grand Floridian. It took 45 minutes to actually reach the airport for our trip home.

5. Guests staying the "regular" rooms can't use the Bay Lake Towers pool...but those guests can come over to the contemporary pool. Strange.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank doublefront
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This review updates my earlier review since the last time we stayed here, we were given an upgrade to a garden suite room with club floor access when we checked in. When I first heard that we had the upgrade, I was thrilled since I have stayed in suites and club floors in London, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Thailand and other places. I knew that since it was a Disney hotel that it would not be as good as many of these places, but I was not expecting it to be as minimalistic as it ended up being.

First off, the size of the room is great if you have a large family. It can easily accommodate 6 people with room to spread out. The caveat in getting this type of suite is that there is a separate room with a bed, which I will call the parent room. The other beds in the suite are two couch pullout beds. The issue is not with the size of the room, but rather the cost in relation to other available options if you are travelling in a larger family.

The cost for booking a suite here with club access is substantially more than in places like New York, San Francisco and Hong Kong. Just as a point, it was actually cheaper to stay at a suite in the Ritz in San Francisco with club access than the Contemporary by almost 1/2. Given that most families coming to Disney will be allocating their funds to the theme park costs, I just cannot recommend a suite to a family at the cost unless it is a free upgrade that you receive.

Since the general game that one plays at Disney is to get out of there without Mickey abducting your entire bank account, the better option for a family of 4-5 is to squeeze into a single room. There are garden rooms with two beds that have a couch pull out that will work if a family can tolerate being in the same room for the stay. If not, then get two garden rooms since they connect. It will still be less expensive that the single suite in almost every occasion.

As for the club level, it is in the main tower and really did not offer much. There are no real meals, but rather some basic foods set out. For example, at breakfast the hot food is only oatmeal. There was also cereal and fruit, but those wanting a hot meal have to go elsewhere. The club section is also rather small so once people start coming in with the family, seating becomes a premium find.

Bottom line is take the suite and club level if its a free upgrade, otherwise examine other room options since the odds are that you will not be in the room often and the money saved can be put towards the cost of admission or other events.

Room Tip: The suites in the garden wing are on the backside by the water, so it can be a good walk if you have...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family