“Contemporary is great.”

Ranked #95 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Whitby, Canada
“Contemporary is great.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just completed a five day trip to WDW and stayed at the contemporary. Absolutely fantastic. We are a family of four. Myself, my wife and two daughters, ages 6 and 4.

Check-in was no problem. We were met outside by a staff member who knew who we were and escorted us into the lobby. I did a online check-in about two weeks prior to our arrival, so everything was ready when we got there. I spent about fifteen minutes at the online check-in desk get our keys and some info. Everyone was very polite and helpful.

Our room was great. We had a theme park view on the 11th floor. The room was big and very clean. There were two queen beds and a pull out couch. There was also a refrigerator which we used for bottles of water. We had no problem with noise. If it's a concern, ask for a room on a higher floor. I did during the online check in and it was no problem. Our one complaint about the room is the sinks in the bathroom. They are huge and shallow. Not a lot of counterspace as a result. Housekeeping kept the room very clean everyday and even arranged our kid's stuffed animals in little scenes on the bed.

Can't beat the location. We walked to the Magic Kingdom on our first day. It took about twenty minutes with two small children. You could probably do in half that time if you kids are older and don't stop every few feet to look at the flowers. We used the monorail everytime after the first day. Going to the Magic Kingdom it takes you around to the other resorts first. Still only takes about fifteen minutes. Returning from the Magic Kingdom is much faster. Your the first stop leaving the park. It took literally five minutes from when we left the park to get back to our rooms. Great if you have small kids who are tired and want to go to bed. One night our kids stayed up to watch the fireworks. So we sat on our balcony and watched them from there. Again super convenient.

The restaurants were very nice. We ate breakfast most days at the contempo cafe. It's fast but the food is kind of bland. If you do use the contempo, have your spouse look for a table while you order. Otherwise, you may have to circle the restaurant while you have your food. Best time to get there is early around 7 or wait until 9:30. We ate at Chef Mickeys one morning and it was a lot of fun. Make sure you have a reservation. The food is good and it's an all you can eat buffet. Both girls loved meeting the classic disney characters. We used the disney meal plan and it saved us quite a bit of money. I would recommend it especially if you are booking character meals. Otherwise the breakfast a Chef Mickeys would have cost around $130. Same for other character meals.

All in all a great family vacation. The Contemporary is a great hotel if you have small kids and are going to the Magic Kingdom a lot. It is pricey, but if you can swing it, then I would recommend it. We will be returning to Disney again and again we will be staying at the Contemporary. Great job Disney.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CDCAWhitby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Meade, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The cast member working at the Contemporary were at the top of their game this trip. I have stayed at this resort about four times in the last few years as a judge with an academic competition. Over that amount of time I have not been dissatisfied with my stays. The location does get a little noisy in the morning with a celebration in Chef Mickeys but that was fine with me. The resort is within walking distance of Magic Kingdom, but if you wish not to walk, take the resort monorail and enjoy the view. Around 10:00pm walk out on the pier and enjoy the Electric Water Parade-one of the oldest traditions at WDW. I am looking forward to next year when I return to this location and enjoy all the resort has to offer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank stargazerken73
Pen Argyl, PA
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This hotel is so exciting. It's just exhilarating being in the lobby or shops and seeing all that's going on. Love this hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Resort hotels and theme parks are two types of places I generally have no need to use nor have an interest in. That said, when your company says that is where the meeting is going to be, you go. I spent just under a week at this hotel and the sleeping room is really where we had the problems. Housekeeping frequently forgot to leave replacement coffee so we had to call down to housekeeping and it sent up. The beds were hard as a rock and after two nights I could not take it. Once again a call to housekeeping regulated in having my mattress replaced. The recycling bag was not replaced so we ended up just piling recyclables on the floor by the trash can. Suggestion to Disney; put a recycling can in the room instead of just a plastic bag. Tis way there is always a receptacle in the room. Our calls for these services were always met with a good response time and always delivered as expected. The downside was we had to call in the first place. Another issue was the mini-fridge. Because it was crammed into its little cubby hole, the hot air being created by the refrigeration unit could not circulate properly to allow the unit to properly cool. We did not realize that initially and the pint of creamer we put in there ended pngetting warm and spoiled. It was replaced by the hotel at no charge and the mini-fridge was pulled from its cubby hole and relocated under the desk where the unit would cool properly.mi was actually pretty surprised that they screwed this up. Imagine every room like this has an inoperative refrigerator unless it gets relocated every time a customer needs it. The bathroom was, well, contemporary like the rest of the room. Functionality was awkward as two, large, square shallow sinks are installed side by side with minimal storage between them. Additional storage was available <under> the sink and was not convenient at all. Fawcett water flow was slow and it took forever to get hot water through this plumbing. Much water was wasted waiting for it to get hot. For the money that these rooms cost per night, these types of issues should simply not exist.

The restaurants all met my expectations for food quality, service and variety. What I will never agree with is the ridiculously inflated prices to which we are subjected. There were few times I paid less than $30+ for a meal.

When you go to ANY resort hotel you get nailed with high prices for everything. Imagine what it must costs a family of four for a week in one of these places. I don't get it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tech-trekker
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've been to Disney World 8 or 9 times but this was the first time I stayed on the property. I have admired the Contemporary Resort since my first visit in the 1970s, so I was prepared to absolutely love this hotel. The friendly but incompetent service marred my visit, unfortunately.

The difficulties started even before I arrived. I was emailed with an offer to check in via the web in advance to speed my arrival. Since we only had 1 1/2 days to wander the parks in between my business meetings, I thought this would be a great service. I put in all the requested information and hit "submit" and it gave me an error message. I tried later, but seemingly the online check-in only works up to 24 hours in advance, and so I wasn't able to get into the check-in screens on my second try. Strike one.

So when I arrived, I went to one of the front desk people to start the process. The person was extremely nice, wished us "welcome home" several times (an attempt to make us feel like we should come back frequently, perhaps?), and gave us a lot of unnecessary explanation (e.g., what was happening in the parks AFTER our stay). Unfortunately, she also gave my husband a key that was incorrectly coded. Strike two.

Next, after a 30-minute check-in process, she found out that my online check-in had, in fact, gone through. (Why couldn't she tell that immediately, I wonder? Strike three.) Yet the online check-in package didn't include all of the information I had supplied. (Strike four.) But no matter, we finally made it to the room.

The room itself was very nicely decorated: mostly subdued colors, clean lines, a sleek frosted glass desk, a flat screen recessed into a set of wall shelves, a compartmented bathroom with sliding doors. The balcony was furnished with a table and chairs and looked out over the lake.

The room also included a mini-fridge, which I thought would be useful for chilling drinks. Unfortunately, it was filled with stinky boxes of leftover food from previous guests (strike five). We left the room right away to visit the parks, so on the way out of the hotel we stopped at the front desk and let them know; they said they would send someone up immediately to take care of it. We came back seven hours later to find that the stinky food was still there (strike six)! We called down once again and they said they would send someone up RIGHT AWAY. After a half-hour wait (strike seven), during which time we REALLY wanted to go to bed, my husband put the boxes on a tray and brought them down to the front desk. There, the manager was apologetic and offered to pay for the excellent dinner we ate earlier at Restaurant Marrakesh (which canceled two or three of the strikes, in my book).

So now that I got that off of my chest...I must say that the location on the monorail is very convenient. There is also a sundries store that is open from 7:30 - 11 p.m. that is handy for drinks and forgotten toiletries. We did wait a while for elevators, and I missed the top-floor restaurant, which is closed for renovations.

If you want to fall asleep before 10 p.m. and are a light sleeper, be aware that there are fireworks and a light show at the nearby Magic Kingdom that comes complete with loud music. It doesn't last long, but might wake up children. We weren't able to see the fireworks from our room, but the view over the lake was quite nice.

We used the Disney Magical Express transportation between the airport and the hotel, which was included with our room price, and on the return trip we got a driver named Bill Murray who is at least as funny as his namesake. He kept us in stitches the whole way until the satellite started playing the obligatory Disney commercial about 15 minutes from the airport.

All in all, I wish that the Disney management would work on service at what is basically a very fine property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dr-Jill-from-NH
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2013

As a child my family would take us to this hotel/resort when we went to Disney. I am 26 and had a chance to go with my parents for a few days (they were going for a conference). The location of this resort is amazing. The fact that I was able to see 4 parks in 2.5 days because of the monorail and shuttles says something. The staff is awesome and very friendly. The room was extremely clean and modern looking. This resort offers excitement for all ages. They have multiple food options to choose from (also healthy options I might add) and a couple gift shops to get whatever you need from a forgotten toothbrush, to alcohol, to souvenirs for your loved ones at home. I also loved that I was able to use the Disney Express. It came prompt and picked me up to take me to the airport on time for my flight so my parents could enjoy their time off from the conference instead of having to drop me off and waste a day.

Overall - great experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let's start with the not so good stuff - cause let's face it, that's why we read reviews.
1) Didn't enjoy waking up at 6:30/7:00am to the sound of little hands clapping in the restaurant below (Breakfast with Mickey, I think).
2) Even though I understand why, the whole room shakes when the monorail rolls through the hotel. This is something that I just simply learned to get over since there is a good reason for it. For this reason and the first one above, I highly suggest staying in the attached Bay Lake Resort.
3) The prices for water sports (at Bay Lake) were overpriced and, in my opinion, not worth it.
4) One morning during my stay, I was awakened by fireworks at 3:30am!
5) When I checked in, the guy at the counter gave me the wrong room number. So I had to take all my stuff back to the lobby, get the problem corrected, and then bring all my stuff to the correct room. >:-|

Now on to the good stuff!

1) The room was very nice, spacious, and modern. I loved the Mickey sketch pillow and the towels rolled into the shape of Mickey/Minnie's head! The balcony has two chairs, a table (not a very good one though), and a fantastic view of Magic Kingdom!
2) It was convenient having 3 different places to eat right inside the hotel. While they were on the pricey side, the food was good. I highly suggest buying the refillable mug instead of constantly buying a beverage. It pays for itself in no time! There is also a little market, souvenir shop, and arcade to enjoy!
3) The best thing about this resort is the FREE transportation (by monorail, bus, Ferry, or water taxi) to pretty much everywhere Disney: Magic Kingdom, a transportation hub where you can switch monorails to get to Epcot, Polynesian Resort, Grand Floridian Resort, and buses to Downtown Disney, most other resorts in and around that area, The Boardwalk, Wild Kingdom, etc. The employees and multiple signage make it easier to get to where you want to go! There is even a coach bus taking passengers to and from the airport!
4) Last, but not least, even being there by myself, I had a great time! There is no shortage of things to do, places to go, stores to shop, things to see, and people to meet! I look forward to coming back to one of the Disney Resorts soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business