“Nice hotel. Not so nice food.”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Miami, Florida
“Nice hotel. Not so nice food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was here for a conference. This hotel is beyond convenient if you are going to the parks during your stay. POSITIVES: great location with proximity to parks, great pool, monorail stops inside, nice rooms, bus/monorail takes you directly to Downtown Disney and other resorts, great front desk staff.

I found the food to be bland with a limited range of options. I called one night for room service and it was a minimum 45 minute wait. Should you want to go anywhere non Disney-related in Orlando and don't have a car, you can't. In addition to the parks you can only go to Downtown Disney.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the mail building you should ask for it. There are three different buildings in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at Disney's Contemporary Resort the last week of Febraury 2013 for 4 nights before our 3 day Disney cruise. We figured tire the kids out as much as possible at the parks before the cruise!

We had an 8th floor room overlooking Magic Kingdom. Even though it is more money to have that view, I highly recommend it. Every night they put on a nice fireworks show which the kids will enjoy. They also sometimes have a light parade on the lake which was great to watch from the balcony. I added some non-stock photos I took with my phone, so please excuse the quality. I like the separation of the main bathroom with the toilet. Also, a really nice feature is the auto nightlight that turns on in both the bathroom and toilet area when you walk in when the lights are out. Very dim, but just enough to make your way around and not wake everyone up with lights in the middle of the night.

The rooms were recently upgraded (or so I am told) and they showed it. Very modern looking and "contemporary". Check in was very quick. Also, nothing can beat this hotel for location. With the Monorail running through the hotel on the 5th floor, you have direct access to Magic Kingdom and the EPCOT monorail. A direct bus ride is needed to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios which each take around 15-20 min. The pool area is nice with a a few hot tubs, slides, water spouts etc around. Lifeguards are on duty. There is also a do it yourself laundry on the 1st floor on the Baylinks tower (the other building) accessed by the walkway on the 4th floor.

The breakfast with the characters is fun, albeit a bit overpriced. But how can you put a price on the kids smiles? Even if that price is over $30 per adult for the buffet! The Cafe resturant is quick fare and decent. The Wave is normal "Disney" price but had above average food as well.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel over any of Disney property based on the location, cleanliness, rooms, and price.

3 Thank skivrmt
Greenbelt, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I went to the Contemporary for a conference and enjoyed a very nice stay. I had checked in online prior to arriving and was able to get my room key very rapidly upon arrival.

My room was in the garden wing, a fair distance away from the front desk but truth be told, not more than a 5 minute walk. My room was on the ground floor and had a 'standard' view which means it was facing a parking lot (it seemed to be the staff parking lot as it was much too devoid of screaming kids). I also has a nice view of the monorail above. But the lack of view was more than made up for by how quiet the room was away from everything else, which worked perfectly for me.

The room was your average medium to high end hotel. Nothing exceptional, either good or bad. It was clean and I never lacked linens or toiletries. I used the wifi too and it worked well. I had a conference price for the room ($200/night) which was a decent value to be within walking distance of Magic Kingdom and on the monorail.

My minor complaints about the room would be:
-no full length mirror
-lack of counter space in the bathroom
-the sliding doors for the bathroom area (fine when you are on your own but not so great when there are more people although I wish more hotels would give a closed area of the bathroom for the toilet)

I did sleep well the entire time I was there (4 nights) as the bed was very comfortable.

The personnel was always very helpful and with the right professional attitude, and always providing impeccable service with a smile. When our party got stuck one extra night because of flight cancellation, they helped us rebook everyone quickly, and most of us in our own room. They were actually my favorite part of this experience.

The food options on site are limited. I didn't try the food at the Wave but went several times to the contempo cafe which provided basic, average food. I also had food served at the conference and these meals were very good.

All in all, a good hotel with great staff and a convenient location if you're staying at Disney.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank KSB_10
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I'd happily give Contemporary 5 stars - we just had the misfortune of a room that had a random squeak that necessitated a move to a different room. This process was dissuaded by the staff (you can't be in a room between 11am and 4pm, etc.) but once we said we were willing to deal with that inconvenience so we could sleep, they happily obliged and we were settled in a new room within a half hour.
Unfortunately my room key did not work the THREE times it was issued (which was a bummer since it is a bit of a trek to the front desk). However, Cat and Kristin both worked to finally get me one that worked. During the wait I mentioned my husband's birthday was our day of departure and Kristin had a personalized card from Mickey sent to our room. Sweet. But what really won me over was the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room courtesy of the resort.

Now for the stuff that might help in planning a trip. This resort is expensive. If not the lodging itself but also the limited access to food once there (there is no quick jaunt to McDonalds here). So plan ahead and get necessities before you get on site. There is a fridge and plenty of room for groceries. Otherwise the restaurant is very good but will run about $25/ person before tax and tip with not so filling portions.

The flip out bed from the couch is pre-made and siblings in another room said it was comfy. We had booked a King and were placed in double rooms both times - perhaps a King isn't an option.

The walk to Magic Kingdom is almost faster/easier than taking the tram. The pool area is great and there is a pool to the side that is generally adults-only if you want some peace and quiet.

Overall this place is extremely, extremely family friendly but more than accommodating for business travel too.

Pros:
Friendly staff
Fun on-site amenities
Beautiful scenery
Well appointed rooms with fridge, ipod player, and functional bathroom layout

Cons:
Water from faucet in rooms smells off. Bring a water bottle and fill up at drinking fountains.
Kind of a haul to front desk/tram/restaurants - bring walking shoes
Rooms are not as quiet as we'd have liked

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ellabeas
North Bergen, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had a room on the 8th floor and had a beautiful view of the castle in Magic Kingdom. Its location gives you quick access to most parks, since the monorail goes right through the resort. Magic kingdom is a quick 8-10 minute walk from the resort, if you don't want to wait for the monorail. About the rooms, my only complaint is the bathrooms. There is absolutely no counter space and the double sinks are flat, not your usual bowls, which makes the water linger around. Other than that, rooms are spacious, clean, and the beds are comfortable. Food at the onsite restaurants is good. Overall, all restaurants in Disney go out of their way to make sure your meal is enjoyable. We will definitely be going back to the contemporary!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view of the castle.
2 Thank Mafalda078
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Disney's Contemporary Resort is all about location. If you are all about being close to the Magic Kingdom, or having monorail access to a lot of the locations, it is a great place to stay. If you are a hotel snob and need everything to be 5-star, you need to look elsewhere.

Let me first say that I am not a hotel snob. We have some money, but are not uber-rich like a lot of the people who give this resort 1 or 2 stars. The hotel itself is nothing flashy or beautiful. In fact, it is pretty miserable to look at. It has nothing Disney about it, other than the 4th floor. The rooms are very nice and much, much better than the moderate or value resorts. But they are not the caliber of a hotel you would pay this kind of money for. I had absolutely no problem with this hotel, its rooms, its cleanliness, its space, nor did my wife or child. But then again, we were literally in our room for about an hour after waking up and about 30 minutes before falling asleep.

We simply loved this place for its location. We were able to walk to and from the Magic Kingdom, about a 10 minute walk. We were able to get on the monorail inside our hotel and not have to deal with the weather to go to Epcot or other resorts for meals. It made our trip amazingly easy and did not have to deal with the buses much at all.

Also, the Wave restaurant was great for breakfast, as they have a buffet and you can get out of there quickly if you want to get a jump on the parks. The Contempo Cafe is great for quick meals or snacks. The shops on the 4th floor are great for anything from desserts to drug store items to sweatshirts.

I am not going to go on and on. Quite simply, if you can afford it and you care most about location, this is the resort for you. If you are looking to be pampered and have an amazing visual hotel experience, you should probably opt for the Grand Floridian or the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

BTW, we went from Feb 23 to Mar 3 and we were told this would be a quiet week there. Dont expect it. We had waits that were over 110 minutes at times, especially the last weekend we were there. (And the new Little Mermaid Ride is not worth waiting for unless you fast pass it-sorry to disappoint you all!)

5 Thank Randy R
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in January 2013, along with our two children (ages 4 and 8). The room was spacious with two queen beds, but our 8-year-old son quickly claimed the daybed/couch. The bathroom had two giant sinks and absolutely no counter space other than a ledge below the sinks. The marble tiles dressed the bathroom up a little.

We were in the garden wing, but facing the garden, not the lake (we also got a good rate of approx $400 a night - yes, that is a good rate). We liked being away from the noise and crowds of the main tower with the monorail running through it. We ate at Chef Mickey's one night (buffet with appearances by Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto and Goofy). It was nice to eat in our own hotel. The other nights we travelled long distances to eat at the Grand Floridian Hotel (Cinderella, Prince Charming and the step sisters made appearances) and in Cinderalla's Castle (we booked Cinderella's Royal Table 3 months before our visit).

The pool and beach at the Contemporary were a fun attraction for our kids, though they weren't as nicely landscaped as those of the Polynesian Resort, where we stayed in 2012. The weather was barely warm enough to swim, but that never stops children. The hotel made a weak attempt at pool activities, which consisted of one employee with a cart of craft projects and a microphone. He would ask music trivia questions, which attracted about four kids. The best activity offered by the resort was free open-air movies every night, supervised by Disney staff, allowing my husband and I to enjoy a drink on our own.

We had room service breakfast every morning a 7:30 am and they always came on time. This allowed us to get everyone fed and out the door by 8:30 am to hit the various parks. The portions are huge, so 2 breakfasts were enough for our family of 4. Housekeeping also managed to clean the room every day, usually while we were at the pool in the afternoons. All the staff were friendly and helpful, even though the front desk staff told me they were completely full during the last two days of our stay.

While you have to pay up to be close to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, it is worth the price to beat the crowds to the parks. We were in the parks from 9 am to 2 pm and at the pool the rest of the afternoon. Everything is expensive at Disney, so don't skimp on the hotel. You will need the added rest to make it through your "vacation" and to keep your sanity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family