“Right there and then”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #93 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a Disney Institute Course.
One great feature of staying in a Disney property is that you can use the complimentary transportation.
Upon my arrival at Orlando Airport, the Disney Magical Express transportation system worked just fine.
As soon as I hopped off the bus there was a "curb representative" to welcome: "Mrs Gualberto, be welcome to Disney Contemporary Resort".
He walked me to the Reception Desk and introduced me to the desk clerk.
So far so good, however, because of a system problem, my check in took 35 minutes to be completed.
I stayed at one of the Garden Rooms, I had a nice view of the lake and the pool.
The room was very spacious, and clean (to oppose to some comments found here).
During the five nights, there were no consistency on the replenish of the amenities. And I don't know why, my pj was always unfolded laying around some place random than the bed.
Next to the bed there is an iPod dock, iHome. Very useful!!
The interactions I had with the concierge or lobby greeters were very good.
They even squeezed me in for a dinner reservation at the French Restaurant in Epcot.
The fact that the monorail is right there helps a lot moving around the resort.
At night you can watch from the window a river parade, real nice.
Overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We are staying in rm 4212. We checked in yesterday afternoon and were welcomed by a pleasant cast member. Our room was not ready so we asked about leaving a handbag with the hotel. The desk agent pointed to the bell desk and said they would take it. We approached the bell desk and asked them about the bag, instead of taking it from us, the lady told us to go outside and give it to valet. Valet accepted our bag and guess where they took it? Yes, to the bell desk. Not a magical moment. We then proceeded to the monorail. As we waited I overheard several of the attendants complaining to each other about their union. Again - not so magical. We returned to the hotel to find our room not having a working mini-fridge. I called down to have someone fix it. While we waited for someone to come up we noticed that the room was rather dirty. The headboards had stains and some fluids running down from the lightswitch. The window wall was extremely dusty. The carpet had fresh stains. The bathroom vents were clogged with dust. The bathroom door and walls had splash marks everywhere. I don't even want to imagine what it might be - urine, spit, toothpaste, etc. I called housekeeping to have them either bring me some cleaner and cloths or send a staff member to clean it. she said she would send someone. The maintenance person arrived 20 minutes later to tell me that yes they have this problem because the fridges are not placed properly. He said he would bring another one. At about 10:30 both housekeeping and maintenance showed up. However we were asleep. The next morning I called the front desk to shares issues and make sure they have the room deep cleaned. Tonight we returned to find the same issues. It's really disgusting. Considering how much this costs - it's totally unacceptable. I wish we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria like our last visit.

Disney is not what it once was. Cast members are no longer out to Wow. They are no just employees here to make a buck. The magic is really gone.

• Stayed: November 2012
6  Thank H0522
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I did not want to stay here. I'd seen it from the outside for years and figured it had to be the worst place. It looked dark and unappealing to me, but that's where the conference was held so I reluctantly booked a room here. I was thrilled to be there once I saw the inside and got the usual "Welcome Home" from the check in desk. The Contemporary is modern, classy and clean. The service was superb. Our room was very well appointed with lots of lights, outlets, windows, comfy beds and linens, a huge bathroom and a lovely balcony with a view over the lake and pool. My favorite thing was a panel of gold/yellow tile below the built in flat screen TV. When you turned the switch, it lit up like a beautiful, glowing fireplace. The room was cozy and open... hard to do!

The monorail made trips to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot a piece of cake. And we took the monorail to explore the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. That was fun. The contemporary has a nice atmosphere with lots of families. We loved watching the character meals... Minnie, Donald and Goofy all having fun with the little guests every day.

I loved waking up and sitting on the balcony listening to the birds and watching boats. We could see the fireworks at night. It was really perfect. There's a lot for children to do at the resort. The pools are lovely, and there is even a sandy beach!

Room Tip: I love having a room with a view of the lake, but it would also be great to have a view of the Magic...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donna F
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel. The villa room was lovely, clean, and had a beautiful view of the lake. Chef Mickey's in this hotel is a must-go to enjoy the hotel completely! This hotel also had a great variety of Disney Stores, you can not go bored staying at this hotel! The interior decor was also very beautiful.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Disney with our 5 year old son. My parents came along to enjoy seeing the "magic" through their grandson's eyes. Everything was wonderful about this hotel. The location, the service, the friendly employees, the cleanliness...

My only gripe was the lady who checked us in was not clear how to find our room (it was in the Garden tower) being that we actually had to go outside to a different building than the lobby. And my mother had specifically requested to have rooms ajoining a year in advance and when we got there, the rooms were not connected even though they said they were. Too much confusion at check in basically was my only issue with the hotel.

The pool was clean and well managed but they really should have a lifegaurd at the top of the water slide to make sure the kids took their turns and followed the instructions on when to slide down. I was surprised they didnt.

I loved that they had seating available to watch the fireworks out on a balcony right near the little market on the 3rd or 4th (?) floor with the music piping through speakers for the nights you werent in the park.

The dining plan worked out for us SO well and the food was really delicious and varied.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DianeCor
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is, by far, the filthiest room I have ever stayed in.

I have wanted to stay at the "hotel in Disney World with the monorail running through it" since the 70's when I first went to Disney as a child. Fast forward 35+ years and my "dream" was realized. What a nightmare...sometimes the imagination is better than reality.

The only positives I can say about this dump is that the lobby smells nice and that the property is conveniently located to the Magic Kingdom.

Where to start with the negatives?? I'm not sure, because I was so blinded by disgust because of the condition of the room. There was not just "a hair" in the bathroom, but a wad of hair. Gag. The room hadn't been dusted in I don't know how long. The carpeting was stained. There was funk in the a/c vents. The paint was peeling. The concierge could not help get dinner reservations (her excuse was, "oops, the line is busy"). Really?

I truly cannot believe that this is one of Disney's upscale hotels. I would be happy to pay $600 for a room WORTH it, but I felt I needed a shower immediately upon check-out (and I had just showered).

It's interesting to me that management does not respond to the negative comments on here. It shows Disney just doesn't care. I believe my pictures speak for themselves.

Walt would not be happy!

Room Tip: A room that is clean would be an awesome find!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Babs0828
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Okay so I would like to start this review off by saying that I think we must have stayed at a different resort than some other people on here..

We stayed from October 5th to 14th, family of five: two adults and three children ages 8, 6 and 3. After reading that staying in the garden wing with a pool view first floor is the best with young children I made the request before hand and was given exactly that. The room was clean, spacious and perfectly located. We could walk out our patio doors and go right to the pool. No elevators to wait for. Also the laundry facility is on the second floor of the garden wing, and this came in very handy. I read many complaints about the walk to the main building...are you kidding me? Under five minutes WITH the kids...after walking through magic kingdom all day, this is nothing.

The hotel itself is very nice. I did not find it outdated at all. We ate at Chef Mickeys and California Grill, both were very good. Pricey? Not for Disney...average cost for a stay on site.

The staff were nothing but friendly and helpful.

Being so close the Magic Kingdom was very special..kids loved it, and we were really grateful for the ease of getting back to the hotel.

The hotel was not dirty, at least not the nine days we stayed there. Our room was very clean, and cleaned daily. Always had fresh towels etc.

I would not hesitate to return, and would ask for the same garden room first floor with pool view, cannot be beat.

Room Tip: If you're going with children, strollers etc, first floor garden wing with pool view is optimal...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family