“Walking distance to the Magic Kingdom”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #94 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
ohio
“Walking distance to the Magic Kingdom”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent three nights here after a family wedding with our three year old. Check in was fast and efficient. We were surprised and delighted to be upgraded to a Magic Kingdom balcony room where were could watch the firework display every night--fantastic! The room was nothing special, and we especially didn't like the bathroom sinks which took up all of the counter space. Having said that the Contemporary is location, location, location. We walked several times a day back and forth to the Magic Kingdom Park. During the walk we could watch the different anoles jumping here and there, I even caught one, then gently let him go (yes tail intact). The pools are nice with a good view of the lake. We especially enjoyed the warm water feature that sprays water out of the ground...the warm water is a great touch! We ate two nights at the restaurant at the California Grill. The food was fantastic and the dining service was great. We did run into a very grumpy bartender at the bar so we moved to a window seat while waiting for our dining table and everything was fine. The last evening we ate at the Wave...a big letdown after our two nights at the California Grill :P

Room Tip: Location is wonderful and upgrade to the Magic Kingdom view, worth the extra cost if only for the fi...
1 Thank Makeithappen57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everything is big, expanded, half of mile, for your room, for breakfast. The Wave is about quantity, the parks. The attention of all of the satff is more than courteous, unless the morning concierge. But in Orlando every thing vast , huge, so prepare to walk, walk, and walk. In the Polinesian resort there is a restaurant that for sure if you are a bucket to be filled up the price is fix and is all you can eat. And think that for teenagers is a most.

1 Thank Pilar18_11
Mount Vernon, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have been to Disney several times over the years and always insisted on staying on property due to the many amenities (the Magical Express is probably the best thing EVER). I went down for a conference this time and had the opportunity to stay at the Contemporary. Keep in mind, that this is on my company's dime and I'm still disgusted with it. We had discounted rates due to being part of the conference, and even at the discount the room was WAY overpriced for what we got. Here are the hot points:

1 - The room was GROSS. The only clean thing was the bed, and it was comfortable, but housekeeping obviously didn't bother wiping down any of the surfaces, because there was some kind of sticky nasty substance on one of the table areas. BLECH. We didn't eat in our room because of how nasty it was. My friend who stayed with me had a coffee smell on her bed that never went away. My bed was fine.

2 - MAINTENANCE!! The shower did not drain after I bathed, so my friend had to call maintenance. Well, they never came until the next day, so my friend was forced to stand in my dirty water so she could take a shower. YUCK.

3 - Wifi access here is terrible. I could not get any work done as I would get kicked off the network after 10-15 minutes or so. Ridiculous.

4 - The California Grille was so overrated and overpriced it's terrible. My friend and I chose to split some of the apps to keep the cost down and still give us a chance to try a few different things. Well, this apparently pissed off our server who wasn't going to make big money off of us. She commented several times, in an extremely condescending way, on how we had a 'buffet' and how we were sharing and not trying the main courses (that were nearly $50 a piece!). We ordered coffee during our meal and the server would come and refill the coffee and would dribble it all over our plates and the tablecloth. There were more than a few near misses with dribbling it on my clothing. Will NEVER go back to that pretentious, over-priced place.

5 - Oh...Disney, what happened to your service and magical attitude!?!?! At one point, the monorails were down (ok, let's be honest - they broke down a LOT) and my friend asked the attendant when he thought they would be back up. His response was a deadpan "When it's fixed". Very sarcastic and condescending. Aside from one gal in the Fantasia store, most of the workers had this attitude.

All in all, I really felt bad that my company spent so much money to allow me to stay on this property. It was disgusting and the people were rude.

On the bright side, the conference facility and personnel were the one great thing. Oh, and if you get a chance to see the Halloween Part at Magic Kingdom, you need to. That was really fun.

Room Tip: Stay at a different resort. We went to Boma at Animal Kingdom and that property looked MUCH nicer a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank Jami1kenob
Alsip, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My family just returned home from our trip to Disney and I wanted this review to be the very first thing I did.
Five of us had dinner at Chef Mickey’s, four adults and one child, the atmosphere (and food) was wonderful. But it was our waitress that made the experience so special for all of us. Dugan was telling us how she just celebrated her 16 year anniversary working for Mickey, and you could tell how much she loved her job. During conversation, I happened to mention how my daughter, she’s 4, was very shy/scared of the characters.. She loves them, but is still not too sure about getting very close to them. We were having a very hard time getting her to feel comfortable enough to take pictures with any of the characters. Well, Dugan informed Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy of this. So, instead of coming up to my daughter, each one of them sneaked up behind her chair so we could get the most beautiful pictures of her smiling, and them standing right behind her. You have no idea how happy this made all of us! My daughter was even laughing about them “sneaking” on her by the end of the night. Thank you Dugan.. You have unknowingly taken a piece of my heart.

10 Thank Shannon M
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Reviewed September 11, 2012

As you make the journey by boat or monorail from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the Magic Kingdom, your eye can't help but be drawn to the Contemporary Resort, gleaming white in the Florida sun. It's been an icon ever since Walt Disney World opened and I think every kid has thought it would be the neatest thing to stay there (the monorail runs right through it, how cool is that?). I know I dreamed of staying there when I was a kid but it seemed as unattainable as a sleepover at Mount Olympus (we were lucky if our parents sprang for a motel with a pool).
These days Disney World boasts many more hotels, several of which could be said to sport a lot more character than the Contemporary Resort. But even though I have stayed at almost every hotel on property, including the now defunct Contemporary North Garden Wing and a Bay Lake Tower Magic Kingdom view room, I have to admit a certain satisfaction in finally getting around to scoring the Holy Grail of a Contemporary Tower room with a Magic Kingdom view.
I had done online check in and I arrived via Magic Express. I was checked in by Jennifer who was everything a Cast Member should be; patient, helpful, polite, professional. Even though this was about 10am the rooms were ready (check in time is 3:00pm). Our adjoining rooms were 4441 and 4442 on the 8th floor.
The room decor is, well, Contemporary, in brown. cream, and beige. Little or no reference to Disney and it could be a room in any upscale hotel anywhere. In some ways the emphasis is more on design than function. The sinks are large, flat squares with no counter space (there is shelf space under the sinks). The sliding bathroom doors don't lock so if you are traveling with children you may want to have a discussion about privacy and knocking. The shower head is adjustable, H20 Plus toiletries are provided and the bed is comfortable. I had expected some noise from the atrium or the monorail but I think it was one of the quietest rooms I have stayed in in Disney World. I didn't even hear my parents snoring in the next room thorugh the adjoining door.
The Magic Kindgom view room affords a nice panorama of the park and Bay Lake. Off in the distance I could make out Everest at Animal Kingdom. You can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks (tune your TV to the "Wishes" soundtrack) and the Electrical Water Pagent from your balcony.
Best of all, the Contemporary Resort is the only hotel from which you can walk to the Magic Kingdom. If you have ever been in the mass exodus leaving the Magic Kingdom at closing and had to wait for monorails, boats, and buses to get back to your hotel room, you can easily appreciate this convenience factor.
There is a free form pool that is supposed to open at 7:00am but they were still in the process of cleaning it at that time every morning when I was there. So the early morning lap swimmers are regulated to the small round pool that has been there since the hotel opened.
The gym is open 24 hours with room key access and is fairly well appointed for a hotel facility. There are 4 treadmills, 4 elipticals, 4 stationary bikes, 2 sets of weights, and an assortment of machines, balls, bands, etc. There are showers, toilets, lockers, and a sauna. Towels are plentiful and there is a water cooler. You can use the walkway to the Magic Kingdom as a jogging path.
Elevators are a bit on the slow side and the set up to reach the monorail is a little odd (you have to take an escalator or specific elevator to get to the monorail station). The are several dining options with everything from the chic California Grill, to the Wave, to the Contempo Grab and Go, to a pool snack bar. There are 3 shops located in the atrium. There are movies on the lawn at night and various other activiites (you'll get a program at check in)
In all, the Contemporary's cool factor and it's convenient location make for a magical stay at Walt Disney World.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank IMBELLE
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you are staying at the Contemporary Resort and you want fast food, this is where you get it. They carry various sandwiches, salads, desserts, etc.also have pasta at dinnertime. You order from a kiosk and are given a pager to pick up your order when it is ready. I had the chicken pasta in basil cream sauce and while it was plentiful, it was pretty standard fare. The setting at least is visually interesting as it is open to the atrium with the monorails going by. Personally I would spring for the extra bucks and dine at The Wave.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The only reason I chose to stay at the Contemporary was because they have a monorail that runs between theme parks and other resorts. I have hoped that the resort was nice and updated but to my disappointment, it was filthy and poorly managed. Despite my tolerance of dust (which is everywhere), AND the most ridiculous pricing, what came to greet me at check-in was a cluster of hair at the center of toilet area in our room. You may say I'm very picky but can you imagine the horror seeing the cluster of hair at a size of a football. I'm not kidding and I'm sure no one can miss it, unless he or she is blind. My husband wanted to cover it with a towel but I insist letting it stay so the person who turns our bed and fills our towels and toiletries can see it. Well, later in the evening the beds were turned and towels and toiletries were refilled but the cluster of hair remained. Needless to say, we cover the hair with a towel to block our sight from it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family