“You know you want to stay here”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #95 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
“You know you want to stay here”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

As you make the journey by boat or monorail from the Ticket and Transportation Center to the Magic Kingdom, your eye can't help but be drawn to the Contemporary Resort, gleaming white in the Florida sun. It's been an icon ever since Walt Disney World opened and I think every kid has thought it would be the neatest thing to stay there (the monorail runs right through it, how cool is that?). I know I dreamed of staying there when I was a kid but it seemed as unattainable as a sleepover at Mount Olympus (we were lucky if our parents sprang for a motel with a pool).
These days Disney World boasts many more hotels, several of which could be said to sport a lot more character than the Contemporary Resort. But even though I have stayed at almost every hotel on property, including the now defunct Contemporary North Garden Wing and a Bay Lake Tower Magic Kingdom view room, I have to admit a certain satisfaction in finally getting around to scoring the Holy Grail of a Contemporary Tower room with a Magic Kingdom view.
I had done online check in and I arrived via Magic Express. I was checked in by Jennifer who was everything a Cast Member should be; patient, helpful, polite, professional. Even though this was about 10am the rooms were ready (check in time is 3:00pm). Our adjoining rooms were 4441 and 4442 on the 8th floor.
The room decor is, well, Contemporary, in brown. cream, and beige. Little or no reference to Disney and it could be a room in any upscale hotel anywhere. In some ways the emphasis is more on design than function. The sinks are large, flat squares with no counter space (there is shelf space under the sinks). The sliding bathroom doors don't lock so if you are traveling with children you may want to have a discussion about privacy and knocking. The shower head is adjustable, H20 Plus toiletries are provided and the bed is comfortable. I had expected some noise from the atrium or the monorail but I think it was one of the quietest rooms I have stayed in in Disney World. I didn't even hear my parents snoring in the next room thorugh the adjoining door.
The Magic Kindgom view room affords a nice panorama of the park and Bay Lake. Off in the distance I could make out Everest at Animal Kingdom. You can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks (tune your TV to the "Wishes" soundtrack) and the Electrical Water Pagent from your balcony.
Best of all, the Contemporary Resort is the only hotel from which you can walk to the Magic Kingdom. If you have ever been in the mass exodus leaving the Magic Kingdom at closing and had to wait for monorails, boats, and buses to get back to your hotel room, you can easily appreciate this convenience factor.
There is a free form pool that is supposed to open at 7:00am but they were still in the process of cleaning it at that time every morning when I was there. So the early morning lap swimmers are regulated to the small round pool that has been there since the hotel opened.
The gym is open 24 hours with room key access and is fairly well appointed for a hotel facility. There are 4 treadmills, 4 elipticals, 4 stationary bikes, 2 sets of weights, and an assortment of machines, balls, bands, etc. There are showers, toilets, lockers, and a sauna. Towels are plentiful and there is a water cooler. You can use the walkway to the Magic Kingdom as a jogging path.
Elevators are a bit on the slow side and the set up to reach the monorail is a little odd (you have to take an escalator or specific elevator to get to the monorail station). The are several dining options with everything from the chic California Grill, to the Wave, to the Contempo Grab and Go, to a pool snack bar. There are 3 shops located in the atrium. There are movies on the lawn at night and various other activiites (you'll get a program at check in)
In all, the Contemporary's cool factor and it's convenient location make for a magical stay at Walt Disney World.

3 Thank IMBELLE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you are staying at the Contemporary Resort and you want fast food, this is where you get it. They carry various sandwiches, salads, desserts, etc.also have pasta at dinnertime. You order from a kiosk and are given a pager to pick up your order when it is ready. I had the chicken pasta in basil cream sauce and while it was plentiful, it was pretty standard fare. The setting at least is visually interesting as it is open to the atrium with the monorails going by. Personally I would spring for the extra bucks and dine at The Wave.

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The only reason I chose to stay at the Contemporary was because they have a monorail that runs between theme parks and other resorts. I have hoped that the resort was nice and updated but to my disappointment, it was filthy and poorly managed. Despite my tolerance of dust (which is everywhere), AND the most ridiculous pricing, what came to greet me at check-in was a cluster of hair at the center of toilet area in our room. You may say I'm very picky but can you imagine the horror seeing the cluster of hair at a size of a football. I'm not kidding and I'm sure no one can miss it, unless he or she is blind. My husband wanted to cover it with a towel but I insist letting it stay so the person who turns our bed and fills our towels and toiletries can see it. Well, later in the evening the beds were turned and towels and toiletries were refilled but the cluster of hair remained. Needless to say, we cover the hair with a towel to block our sight from it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cangon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Do NOT waste your time or money. At check in, they sent us to a room on the other side of their property, only to find out our keys didnt work. Then when we had to walk all the way back to the lobby (in the rain) we missed our luggage being delivered....so it wasnt brought back until later that night.

Our room smelled of mildew to the point that we couldnt breath all night. The vents were coated in dust and there were roaches outside our door (in the hall). The sheets were stained...not at all up to par to a Disney level of customer service.

Our car was in valet parking, and when we called ahead they said they could bring it up within 20 min. We went downstairs and there was a convention leaving, and they told us they don't do call ahead (when they had already said that they would) and one worker started yelling with another worker in front of us. Needless to say it took awhile to get out-

And when we went to talk to management about our experience, they couldnt care less. They said "It's florida, there are bugs and humidity...go ahead and check out". We lost money on leaving early but were glad to not spend one more second there! Just because it got a facelift doesnt mean the rooms are actually nice. Stay at the many other options in the area!

5 Thank htravel23
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom or take a boat or monorail to Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Magic Kingdom, and Epcot made life that much easier on our most recent vacation. We stayed at Bay Lake Tower. The room was clean, location was great, and for the most part there were no issues with service. The one issue we experienced with housekeeping was rectified to our satisfaction.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My room was nicely updated - double sinks in bath with marble - large bedroom with with couch, working desk, fridge, coffee maker and wonderful lake view - the monorail runs right into the hotel and takes you to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Floridian and Polynesian resorts

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert G
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We spent the night at Disneys Contemporary Hotel this past weekend for the labor holiday. The reason we chose it was because we have small children and it was so close and convenient to the Magic Kingdom that we would rather pay more to stay there and not deal with the hassle of Disneys transportation system late at night when the kids were tired.
I found the hotel clean and the rooms were nice. Our room (garden wing/garden view) was a bit of,a walk from the lobby though. My kids loved the arcade and all the cast members were friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family