“Contemporary still shines...”

Ranked #95 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Northeast
“Contemporary still shines...”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at the Contemporary about 14 years ago when our kids were little, and had a great time. In February, at the last minute we booked a couple of nights there again and weren't sure what to expect based on some of the reviews we read. Well it was wonderful! The Contemporary has always had some of the largest rooms and have two Queens and a daybed. The rooms have recently been renovated and are beautiful with very comfortable furnishings. There is a good sized flatscreen TV and a computer right in the room. The provided computer has free internet access (great touch!) so you can easily check out what's going on in the parks. Think if you use your own computer there is a charge, but the ones in our rooms were so convenient, we never hooked up our own.
We stayed in the Tower and it is very easy to hop on the monorail and head over to the Magic Kingdom. The bus transportation to the other parks was very easy also. Our rooms overlooked the bay and we could see the nightly light show on the lake. The fireworks over the Magic Kingdom are easy to view to from the end of the building
There is a small fridge in the room that is empty - not filled with $5 cans of soda - and that worked great. In addition to the restaurants in the hotel, there is also a grab and go spot that had great salads, snacks, etc..., and also breakfast items for the morning in case you want to eat quickly to get to the parks.
The staff at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful, and we would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Room size and location
3 Thank Travelin'NE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 27, 2008

My husband went down early in the week for a short conference, I joined him later for a long weekend.

The Magical Express was a great way to get too and from the airport.

We had stayed at the Contemporary before with mixed results, I remembered our past stay being endless walks from the monorail to our room in one of the wing extentions and it just seemed to be a cold concrete jungle compared to other WDW properties. It is never my first choice of places to stay.

This time we had a nice room (again in the one remaining wing) that was on the ground floor and over looked the lake, we really enjoyed sitting outside on our semi private terrace and enjoying coffee or wine. We had a great view of the nightly electric boat show. We did have to endure a lot of noise from the boats that honk while transporting passengers to and from Fort Wilderness Campground and the Wilderness Lodge to catch our monorail etc.

The construction did not bother us as it was a distance away. Our room was decorated in Art Deco style and we enjoyed having the computer and the refridgerator, there is not alot of counterspace in the bathroom with the large square sinks. My husband enjoyed a tasty steak salad at the Steakhouse. The only other meals we had there were Room service late one evening ; a tasty proschutto salad and a fruit plate and a bacon cheese burger basket from the pool snack bar after renting a small power boat to take a ride on. My husband enjoyed a wonderful luncheon and happy hour as part of his conference.

The staff was always helpful. I used the computer to request towels and they were there in 5 minutes. We got a good discount on our room since we booked via their conference center, I would have been upset if I paid full price and had to endure the construction but I did notice that the main pool at the Polynesian was blocked off due to renovations, those guests could not have been too thrilled .

All in all, you just can't beat being on a monorail line as it gives you a lot of options during busy times to get yourself home, the buses are okay but if you stay at a site that only has bus transportation, you could sitting around waiting 30 minutes to get back.

We'd go back again if the price was right.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank NewLondonCTAdrift
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed at the Contemporary for 8 nights in total 6 for myself and my 2 kids, my wife stayed on for 2 more nights as part of a conference. The hotel is a great location and having the monorail in the hotel is great. The only negative about this hotel is the noise. We were on the side facing the water, which allowed you to see the Epcot fireworks at night, which was cool. However we started on one end of the hotel and heard the construction of the new hotel at eight, in the morning which was not great as we arrived 2 am. So the hotel moved us to the other end. Unfortunately this was worse each morning and night we had to hear Chef Mickey, Starting 7 am and ending 10pm. We also ate one night at Chef Mickey and it was terrible, food was awful. Skip it and see the characters in the park, not worth it. My son threw up at the restaurant. We checked out and were pleasantly surprised that Disney gave us a $120 for the noise from the first night. Rooms were big, spacious and well decorated. Overall a pleasant experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
1 Thank JLMCto
Connecticut
Reviewed February 23, 2008

After reading mixed reviews and never having had the chance to stay in the Tower itself, I decided to go for it. All I can say is that it was worth every penny (all 50,000 per night). The entire trip from the minute we landed in Orlando was completely stress free.

We used the Disney Magical Express free transportation to the resort and had fun from the minute we boarded. Our bus driver was an old native of Orlando and knew everything there was to know about Disney, and he was funny.

We arrived at the Contemporary about 30-40 minutes after landing and checked in within 10 minutes, maybe even 5. When we got to the room, which was ready at 11am, it was instant magic for the kids as they could literally reach out and touch the Magic Kingdom from our room. They are 5 and 8.

My son (8) thought the room was the coolest thing he had ever seen with all of the modern details (plasma tv, flat screen pc, back lit mosaic tiles, funky lamps and all the wood and glass doors). It really looked and felt recently done and was as nice as any W hotel I have stayed it in NYC.

I had no problems with any noise as i read about (and our hotel room was just above the Monorail on the 6th floor). We were in the middle of the hotel far away from Chef Mickey which may have helped. The convenience of being a 5-15 min door to door trip to either the Magic Kingdom or any of the other resorts (Grand Floridian, Polynesian) was something I really missed once we transferred to the Beach Club Resort later in the trip.

The shops in the Contemporary have just about anything you could possibly need from gifts to clothing to whatever and the game room, although not as big as it used to be, still seems to be the biggest of all resorts and has the ticket reward system like a Chuck e Cheese.

I will admit that the sinks in the bathroom were a little lower than i felt they should be and all of the counter space being taken up by them was a little annoying. It is definitely a "form over function" kind of thing but the designers might have been able to provide just a little more function had the spent more time in the room.

Regardless, this was my favorite 2 days of the trip and I would highly reccomend the Contemporary for anyone that is going to be spending time at the Magic Kingdom. The view alone was worth it and the convenience of the location cannot be beat. The picture of my daughter standing on the balcony pointing to Cinderella's Castle says it all.

• Liked — modern theme and location
  • Disliked — bathroom sinks
1 Thank disneydadCT
Miami,FL
Reviewed February 20, 2008

When I was a little girl My parents brought me every year to Disney World We had stayed in other Disney Resorts But I always Loved staying at the Contemporary Resort. On Feb24,2007 was the last time I stayed at the Contemporary Resort it was Our Honey moon and it was Awesome. Everyone is nice there we had a Beauitful view of the garden Wing. And Now I am planning to go back to stay at the contemporary resort feb28,2008 for my 1 year Anniversary and My Birthday.

Stayed February 2007
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 13, 2008

The Contemporary Resort is one of Disney World's oldest and most recognizable hotels. I'd wanted to stay here for years, and I was very pleased with our stay. It really is pretty cool to watch the monorail zip through the building, and it makes transportation around Disney World a snap.

We were very lucky with our room. We were in room 5109, a corner room on the ground floor of the south garden rooms. If at all possible, try to get one of these corner rooms. It was unusually shaped, but enormous, with a large king-size bed, a sitting area, a wide screen tv, and a huge modernist bathroom. We had two patio areas, one facing the pool and one facing the lake. There was even a computer with free Internet and on-line concierge service. Everything was impeccably clean and stylish.

The main building was just a short walk away, and the main building has restaurants, shops, and, of course, the monorail stop. We only tried the "Grab & Go" cafe, but even there, the food was quite good. The cobb salad was so nice, I went back the next day and had another one. There are only two pools, neither of the very large, but the hotel is rather small, and they were never crowded. In the evening I had the quiet pool all to myself, other than the 2 dozen ducks who also seemed to inhabit that space after dark. I was especially pleased that I could watch the charming electrical water pageant that floats by every night at 10 from my patio.

Sadly, the main drawback of this hotel is its prices. It's wildly overpriced, with regular rooms costing from $260-460, depending on the season. I stayed here with a Disney cast member and paid half price, which made the bill seem much more reasonable. While I enjoyed this hotel tremendously, I would only stay here again if I had another discount opportunity. Otherwise, there are equally nice hotels in Orlando for a much better price.

• Liked — location and easy access to all services
  • Disliked — room price
6 Thank Marywhotravels
Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I tried to book a reservation at the hotel for the weekend of February 16 and 17th, 2008. With the Florida resident discount the charge for two nights was $1,060.00. That was in a garden view room where they told us there might be construction going on! I have stayed at the Contemporary many times before going back to 1980 and it is not worth that much money for a garden view room. I just couldn't justify spending that much money for a weekend. So I looked at options and ended up staying at the DoubleTree Suites in Downtown Disney for $300 for both nights! It worked out much better for us because we got a large 2 room suite with 2 televisions, and kitchen facilities. The Doubletree was a great value. Unless you are very keen are riding the monorail, the Contemporary is very overpriced. With the money I saved going to the Doubletree we could splurge on dining out andother attractions.

Stayed February 2008