“Magical!!!”

Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #89 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We are a family of 5. We have 3 little girls and with that being said...the theme park(castle) view is the way to go. I cant speak for the garden building but the main tower is amazing. Clean,quiet rooms and a breath taking view of cinderella's Castle and more. The staff went head over heels for my kids and it was my daughters 13th bday and they made that amazing too. This resort is walking distance to the magic k. and after the firework show with TONS of people rushing to get to that monorail,the walk path is so scenic,quiet and a vip way to get to the resort without feeling overwhelmed. Chef mickey was adorable(right in the building)..contempo cafe for the quick bites was great. The monorail is a huge plus factor. I would say to make this trip amazing for kids,I suggest staying at this resort in the main tower or baylake tower. It may be pricey but its unforgetable! We plan on many mnay more trips with the contemporary (theme park view)!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jessica1770
There are newer reviews for Disney's Contemporary Resort

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Just returned from a September stay at the Contemporary resort. This is our 3rd time staying at this resort. Restaurants/pools/location are all fabulous. Can't beat being on the monorail, especially with small children. Rooms are spacious, clean. No complaints from us :)

Reviewed September 25, 2011

I was very fortunate to attend a vendor-sponsored business event at the Contemporary so I brought my family along to spend the days in the park.

The Contemporary is easily the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at for a family vacation. The room was immaculate, the view (7th floor) great, the ammenities were wonderful. The only area that was slightly weak was service. We had to wait about 30 minutes for our bags to be delivered because of an onrush of new visitors. We were able to squirel away a lot of groceries in the fridge so we avoided eating in the resort as much as possible. I had a business dinner in the Wave, which was quite good, but we had to sit at the bar because of the wait. Make reservations for the Wave and California Grill when you book your room. Day-of reservations probably won't work.

If you want to visit all four theme parks, I would plan on a seven-day stay to allow a rest day between each park. Maybe hit a water park in between. I would not recommend the park-hopper pass unless you want to be completely exhausted after a couple of days. The sun, heat, walking, and waiting will get to you.

From the perspective of a business traveler, I think Disney could be a tough venue because of the potential distractions caused by families and small children. In the convention center, the food was very good as was the service, but I think trying to have a meeting in a restaurant might be more difficult.

Obviously this stay was a great value for us since someone else picked up the tab, so I won't address the overall value in this review.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view or you'll be staring at the parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JonD2
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We just returned from a trip to Disney (September 17 - 24) and stayed at the Contemporary Resort. We have 2 small children (5,2) and traveled with my husband's parents and his sister, who has a daughter that is 6. Initially, we made requests to have one set of connecting rooms and one close by and these were all honored at check in. The online check in process was a breeze. We were at the desk for 5-10 minutes tops for our three rooms.

Our rooms were on the 6th floor with a Bay Lake view from the tower. The rooms were nicely appointed with 2 queens (or one king) and a pullout bed. There was a desk, two drawers for storage and two nice closets in the entryway. The bath had a tub, 2 sinks and a toilet separated by a door. The balcony was small, but adequate.

As far as where our room was located, I'd always heard that the Contemporary was a little loud. Well, there are fireworks at the Magic Kingdom most nights at 9 and other activities going on outside (there's a movie at 830). Inside, you'll have dinner reservations until late and then they start getting breakfast ready early. I wouldn't say it was loud, you were just aware of things going on around the resort. It might have helped if we were on a higher floor.

We enjoyed eating at the Contempo Casual restaurant mornings when we didn't have a breakfast scheduled through the dining plan. They had great food options and the quick service meals purchased were very large, even the kids meals. A wonderful value.

The first morning we ate at Chef Mickey, the character breakfast in the hotel. It was wonderful! The food was fabulous and each of the characters stopped at the table. It was a wonderful way to start our vacation.

The pool was beautiful and mostly 3.5 feet all the way around. There was a quiet pool as well, closer to the lake. The main pool had a water slide that the kids loved and there was a splash pad for the smaller children. There was a beach area for playing, but there was no swimming in the lake. There were activities for the children in the afternoon.

The fitness center was small, but very adequate. There were about 4 of each: treadmill, elliptical, and recumbant bikes; free weights and quite a few machines. It is open 24 hours a day.

We did use the laundry facilities to cut down on our luggage for our trip. It was located in the South Garden Wing building (not the main tower) on the 2nd floor, across from room 5210 (not on the third floor, as advertised). They were adequate for our needs - $1 for soap and $2 to run each machine. They'll take your credit card or your World Card.

The best part of the trip was the access to the monorail. We looked over our balcony outside our door and there it was. The kids LOVED it. Having such quick access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot was a dream . . .especially on the way home.

The only issue we did have was that our safe was open and in the locked position. We called to have it reset three times, but no one was ever sent up.

1  Thank clc12
Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Contemporary Resort for a quick and fun weekend. The hotel was disappointing for the money. We did on-line check-in, but the line to finish it at the hotel was the longest and disorganized. The employees seemed untrained and worn out.

The entire hotel and our room seemed so dated and in need of a make-over. Our room was OK (we did only use a standard room, if that matters for the interior?). The only thing that we really disliked was the bathroom. They used these enormous sinks (2), but there is literally about 6 inches of counter space. The hotel bathroom was the worst I have ever been in for a 4 star property.

The monorail access was the best part of the property. We have stayed at the other 4 star Disney properties and we liked his one the least. I would highly recommend the Disney Airport transportation, however. It was great and easy to use. We went during a "low visitor" week, due to a pending hurricane. If the bus would have been crowded with people/kids and noise.....we wouldn't have liked it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Make no mistake, this is a hotel for people visiting an amusement park. Stayed here for business meetings and a convention and it was overrun with happy/frantic park patrons. Going to a high end restaurant with clients with many kids and a line up of strollers outside isn't exactly what I have in mind for a business venue.

The rooms are quite dated and a little run down. The air conditioning in my room didn't work the first night and was promptly repaired. Everything was very damp and musty. The room was not made up until after 2 PM each day.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Our party of five stayed in Room 6210 which had a garden/lake view at the Contemporary and it met all of our expectations. Clean, spacious, and quiet. The only exception to the peacefulness was the water boats sounding its horns quite frequently and the nightly water electric parade that started at 10pm each night. So for those of you who are light sleepers and want to hit the hay prior to 11pm, you will probably find the rooms on this side of the building not for you. Also, we were a fair ways away from the main building to go up and get drinks so that was time consumung at times and at the end of a long day at the Park, it was hard to get a volunteer to go up! Ha! I didnt want to stay in the main hotel as I heard the monorail could be noisey. The three pools and the two hots tubs are fantabulous! The large water slide was enjoyed by our family. The food at the Contemporary (we were on the Disney Dining Plan) is excellent! I recommend you try the roasted turkey sandiwch. Best sandwich I ever tasted in my life! Excellent staff working at this Resort as well. Very helpful and friendly. The one thing I would like for Disney to seriously consider is to ban smoking on their resorts. There were plenty of smokers at this Resort and the smoking designated area was all along the walkway that we would have to take to get to the main building. Plus alot of the guests would be smoking by the pool furthest from the resort, even though there were signs up to not smoke. So as admittant non-smokers and someone who has a child with ASD and smoking bothers him very much, that did put a damper on our holiday. Other than that, I would go back to this Resort tomorrow! It offers an excellent view of the fireworks from Magic Kingdom as well you can walk to Magic Kingdom from this resort. Oh they also had daily activities every day at the pool, but we were never there to take part in them. There is something for everyone of all ages at this resort.

1  Thank Newfiemissus70