“Family w/13 & 15 yr old sons - NOT AS GREAT as other reviews say, just OK”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #149 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Tallahassee, FL
“Family w/13 & 15 yr old sons - NOT AS GREAT as other reviews say, just OK”
Reviewed March 18, 2007

DATES: 3/14/07 - 3/17/07

EXPECTED: Based on reviews expected an average RESORT.

RECEIVED: Basic Holiday-Inn quality with great landscaping. On-site food court, bike/boat rentals, and shuttle were the only RESORT features.

FAMILY: 2 Adults [40 & 53 yr olds]
2 Teens [13 & 15 yr olds]

Check-In: Very long process, about 1 hour with 3-5 people ahead of me...it took me over 25 minutes once I was at the counter....the lobby check-in desk is designed like old bank teller or old train station ticket windows, they had about 12 check-in windows open when I arrived and I was 4th in line....no bell hop service!

Check-Out: Express, just grab receipt on door & go home.

Cleanliness: 6/10, not very clean, just clean enough to stay.

Room Size: Smaller than Holiday Inn Express rooms, about a 12 x 16 room for 2 beds, 1 nightstand, round dining table w/2 chairs, armoire, blanket chest... behind the curtain there was the vanity/bath combo area which was about a 2W x 6L double sink vanity area, 6W x 3L closet area opening perpendicular to the vanity, and the bathroom about 4W x 6L.

Bathroom Size: VERY small, tight squeeze on commode

Decor: Cheesy tropical fabrics, painted furniture

Unique Feature: Draw curtain separating vanity/bathroom from remainder of the room, which was nice when everyone is changing into swimsuits.

We arrived expecting a clean moderately priced resort and basically got a Holiday Inn Express with resort landscaping and an inconvenient food court.

The property is basically attractive, but needs upgrading for its pricepoint.

ISSUE #1: The main theme pool was KIDDY, the photos on the web made the slide and waterfall appear to be teen-friendly, but the pool was more appropriate for kids ages 4-10. Pool was just outside the food court area, but unless you had small kids there was just no enjoyment to be had because the pool was not big enough for all ages.

ISSUE #2: TV reception on local non-Disney channels was fuzzy VHF quality. Husband stayed in room sick 1 day and only had good reception on Disney channels.

ISSUE #3: The only delivery service was pizza that could ONLY be ordered from the room. You could not pay anyone enough money to deliver food to your room, we tried about 20 restaraunts in the phone book that would deliver anywhere other than a Disney property.

ISSUE #4: Towels were low-quality.

ISSUE #5: Shuttle service was unbearable. The drivers allowed the bus to overcrowd. The drop-off stations at the parks were FAR from the entrance. After day 1 of park hopping, we opted to drive, since we were so close. Parking for free and the tram ride got us right up to the entrance. This was a big disappointment, because we stayed specifically at CBR to be central to Epcot/ Animal Kingdom/MGM and the water parks. I thought we could go back and forth to the room for rest, but it turned out to be a job riding the bus shuttle.

ISSUE #6: Beds were in need of replacement. The mattresses squeaked every time you moved, very bad night's sleep. Not comfortable at all!

ISSUE #7: Room was TOO SMALL for family of 4 with pre-teens or teenagers.

Recommend: Only if you know what to expect, don't go by the positive reviews expecting RESORT service or quality. This is basically like any other hotel, just more convenient to the Disney parks.

Stay Again: Only if we get adjoining rooms.

Best Feature: Free theme park parking with Resort stay.

Worst Feature: Mattresses.

• Liked — Free theme park parking
  • Disliked — Mattresses were horrible
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank UF-Law

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,768)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
davenport, Iowa
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We had never been to Disney World before but decided to go because a daughter was in a cheerleading competition held at Disney. Due to late registration on my family's part we were unable to get the 'cheerleader' rates! We paid top price so we could be near my daughter and her team who were staying at the Caribbean Beach. We also paid for a 'prefered' room because that was all that was left by the time we booked. It was not worth the extra money to have a preferred room, (which meant we were closer to the food court!) but after 4 days we quit complaining. By then, we were happy to be near the food court and one of the quiet pools! My husband and I would take a bottle of wine out to the beach area at night and sit with our toes in the sand. It was very quiet and relaxing. Our hotel room was nice but not worth what we paid. Always find a way to get a discount at Disney because everything costs $. I would stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort again and would recommend it to friends.

• Liked — location, architecture
  • Disliked — price paid
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank Iowajeannie
Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2007

We took two of our granddaughters ages 4 and 5 to Orlando and stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Overall, I have no complaints. We had a great time at all the Disney World parks that we attended and at the hotel itself. The kids really enjoyed the pools!

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank cls2006
Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Stayed Feb 23-26, 2007. Overall comfort level was good, no odors in our room, and the food court was convieniently located. Probably not the best resort for a quick weekend of Disney, after walking through the parks we were too exhausted to walk the distance to the food court, we had a great view of the water/lake per our request and once we figured out the transportation things went smoother. Used the Magic Express coming and going and tipped the bell hops well for handling our luggage for us. Never had time for swimming or boating or biking but others looked as though they were enjoying the activities offered by the resort. No Coffee in our room the first night, although they provided a pot, luckily we had brought a small amount of flavored coffee, and we were able to convince one of the park vendors at Epcot to give us a filter. We slept well but then again we were fast tracking the parks over a weekend stay and were usually pretty exhausted by the time we returned to the resort. Would stay again on a longer visit.

• Liked — Beach outside the room
  • Disliked — Distance too food and drinks
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ROCKNJESS
Daytona Beach, FL
Reviewed March 5, 2007

My young daughter and I checked in on a Friday afternoon. They gave us no problem with checking in early. We wanted to nap before going to the Pirate and Princess Party at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. We stayed in Jamaica on the first floor. It was so tropical and beautifully decorated. What a huge resort. It was a walk to the Food Court, but it was a nice leisurely walk along the water/beach areas, playgrounds, hammocks. (I would've hated to do it in the rain). The food wasn't that great, but there was plenty of choices for everyone's tastes. We took the bus to the Magic Kingdom and back with no troubles. My daughter needed some medical attention in the middle of the night. First they sent someone with medicine (although it was not what I asked for). Then they sent their own paramedics. NO CHARGE. I didn't ask for the paramedics, they insisted. Went to Universal late Saturday afternoon for Mardi Gras and the Taylor Hicks concert - a lot of fun. Back to the resort that evening, check out was 11:00 a.m. Stayed on property using the pool. My daughter took part in the beach/pool games during the day. I just laid in a chair soaking up the sun - the most relaxation I had in a long time. Highly recommend this resort if you love the feel of the Caribbean.

• Liked — Fridge in room
  • Disliked — Beds are small
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank SueN0724
East TN
Reviewed March 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Walt Disney World Caribbean Beach Resort for three nights beginning on March 1, 2007. We really enjoyed our time staying on property; the room was clean and comfortable and pretty convenient to the jogging trail that circled the resort lake. We opted for the two double beds in order to get a first floor water view room. We booked it through AAA and saved about $100.00. When we first entered the room we thought we had a smoking room even though we had requested a non-smoking room, but the odor seemed to diminish and we didn’t notice it again afterward. There was a small spot on the ceiling above the shower where the plaster had peeled off and the doors on the entertainment center wouldn’t close properly, but aside from these two minor issues the room was nice. The staff was extremely friendly and hospitable too.

Now for the not-so-good: I was greatly disappointed to find out that swimming was not permitted on any of the beaches in the resort; that was one of the reasons we chose this resort over the others. As it turned out, I don’t think I would have wanted to swim in the murky lake anyway.

Then I discovered that there was no exercise facility at the resort; so I called the front desk and was informed that we could use the facilities at some of the other resorts…for a small fee…there is no such thing as a small fee in Disney World; the cost was $12.78 per person per day; we didn’t pay. This really irritated me; after all we had paid good money to be a guest in Walt Disney World and should have access to the free amenities offered at the other resorts. This once was the case many years ago when we stayed on property.

The only spa at the Caribbean Beach Resort was tiny for a resort of that size and only accommodated five people at a time.

Finally, the food court didn’t have much of a selection when compared to that of the Coronado Springs resort where we stayed last year.

We will likely not stay at this resort again. For the same money we could have stayed at the Coronado Springs or Port Orleans resorts, both of which are newer and offer more for the money.

• Liked — Being inside Disney World
  • Disliked — No exercise room, small spa, no swimming beaches; small food court.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank DisneyKid
Iowa
Reviewed March 3, 2007

We stayed at the CBR in February and had a ball! It was our first time staying at a Disney resort and we were happy with our entire trip. The room was nice - not squeeky clean, but we weren't there much and I'm rather picky. We upgraded to a water view - I would do that again. It's so nice to wake up and walk out to see the sunrise and the water or to wander to the beach to hang out in a hammock. We have two boys age 14 and 10. They weren't impressed by the theme pool - it's much smaller than the pictures lead you to believe and full of "little kids" - but were perfectly happy at the pool in our complex. We did the dining plan and it's more food than you can eat! By the fourth night of sit down meals, I think one of my son's favorite memories was ordering a $32 steak, eating only a part of it, and nobody even gave him a dirty look! You DEFINITELY have to make reservations for the sit-down meals in advance - we found that out the hard way. That is a bummer - we hated to have to stick to that scheduled event and the only times we could get were not convenient. We usually took desserts back to the room and kept them in the fridge because there was just too much food. We were wishing you could trade in your sit-down services for counter meals that didn't require reservations. The food court had a nice selection if you're not real concerned with calories, carbs, fat or salt! My husband loved the bacon cheeseburger - go figure! The snack shop did have better selections like fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, etc. (Of course, I'm the only one in my family looking for healthier selections on vacation so that may just my problem!) An important discovery we made too late - the beer in the gift shop is MUCH cheaper than the food court or bar! I would definitely recommend this resort and would love to be back there now instead of looking at 28 inches of snow!

Stayed February 2007
13 Thank HawkeyeMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!