“Wonderful Vacation”

Ranked #149 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Iowa
“Wonderful Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2007

We stayed at the CBR in February and had a ball! It was our first time staying at a Disney resort and we were happy with our entire trip. The room was nice - not squeeky clean, but we weren't there much and I'm rather picky. We upgraded to a water view - I would do that again. It's so nice to wake up and walk out to see the sunrise and the water or to wander to the beach to hang out in a hammock. We have two boys age 14 and 10. They weren't impressed by the theme pool - it's much smaller than the pictures lead you to believe and full of "little kids" - but were perfectly happy at the pool in our complex. We did the dining plan and it's more food than you can eat! By the fourth night of sit down meals, I think one of my son's favorite memories was ordering a $32 steak, eating only a part of it, and nobody even gave him a dirty look! You DEFINITELY have to make reservations for the sit-down meals in advance - we found that out the hard way. That is a bummer - we hated to have to stick to that scheduled event and the only times we could get were not convenient. We usually took desserts back to the room and kept them in the fridge because there was just too much food. We were wishing you could trade in your sit-down services for counter meals that didn't require reservations. The food court had a nice selection if you're not real concerned with calories, carbs, fat or salt! My husband loved the bacon cheeseburger - go figure! The snack shop did have better selections like fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, etc. (Of course, I'm the only one in my family looking for healthier selections on vacation so that may just my problem!) An important discovery we made too late - the beer in the gift shop is MUCH cheaper than the food court or bar! I would definitely recommend this resort and would love to be back there now instead of looking at 28 inches of snow!

Stayed February 2007
13 Thank HawkeyeMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2007

We just got back from a stay in Feb at this resort. We stayed here once before and decided to go back. The resort is so quiet and it is spread out but we liked it as you felt more like you had alone time while walking around. Our room was nice and clean, beds were comfortable, not deluxe but we knew this was a moderate resort. Each room has a mini fridge and a free safe. I asked for extra pillows and they delivered them right away.

I love the theming at this resort, it's like you're on a tropical island. You can take advantage of the louge chairs out on the mini beach they have and just watch the birds or you can even lay in one of the many hammocks that are available. They have several small pools, one for each "island" and they a larger main pool. Food court was easy to walk to each morning (about 3 minutes) and the food was good. Overall a clean, quiet, relaxing resort that I would highly recommend.

• Liked — Theming of the resort, relaxing atmosphere.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
19 Thank JoJoTraveler
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

We (2 adults, 2 kids ages 12 & 4) stayed from 2/22 to 2/26. We were in Barbados, court yard view. Having stayed in a deluxe resort before, I knew that this wouldn't be quite the same, but I found the Caribbean to be a lot less in standards than I expected.

Check-in was a bit slow, but the service was friendly. Although we were told that we could use two separate credit cards for the bill (my sister and I were sharing costs), at check out that didn't happen.

The walk to the room was pleasant. The atmosphere is very similar to a Caribbean beach resort. The room was nicely decorated. There was a bulb out over the sink. The toilet had soil on it. Yuck. The tv remote did not work, it was replaced promptly.

We went exploring. Found the food court area to be pleasant with a wide variety of food. The gift shop was nicely done. The arcade was very old school.

When we did return to the room, many hours later, luggage had arrived. But only one of the four suitcases in the room belonged to us. I must say that the luggage services came promptly to remove the wrong luggage, and our luggage did arrive quickly. Many apologies were made.

The beds were very comfortable. However, the sheets on the one bed had a very large hole. I left the tip the first night right near the hole, thinking mousekeeping would notice it and then perhaps put new sheets on (they replace them every 4 days, or sooner if you check out sooner), but that didn't happen.

Towels and amenities were restocked daily. We took the spreads off the beds and put them in the corner. They were never replaced again by the mousekeeping staff. They stayed heaped in the corner all 5 days. I guess I do enjoy coming back to a room that is 'prepped' each day.

We used the bus system for most of our trip. It can be slow, but nothing beats the convenience of the buses. All the buses were clean and the drivers most helpful.

The kids enjoyed the pool (even though it was too cold for me!). There is a pool for each area or 'resort', and then a larger pool in the center near the food court. The beach with the hammocks is a very nice touch. We were able to see a lot of the fireworks from Epcot right from the beach.

Checking out was easy. We used the Magical Bus and nothing could be simplier. It is a shame that you have to leave so early for that service, but I realize many people are being moved at the same time and logistically it can never please everyone.

Overall, I have been spoiled by staying at the Beach Club. The Caribbean Beach was 'okay' but cannot compare to the Beach Club. It was fine for the little bit of time we spent in the room.

• Liked — The price for staying at a Disney resort was good (we had an employee type discount).
  • Disliked — After staying in a higher level resort, this one definitely had some shortcomings.
13 Thank dentalhy
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2007

I just got back from disneys CBR and I had a terrible stay ! The room and the food court smelled horrible !!!!!! The bathrooms were small & were covered by a curtain! The beds were the most uncomfortble thing, i could barely sleep. The resort was so big, My family & I always got lost & it took us forever to get to Old Port Royale. The food in the foot cort was okay, and the main pool was very tin& always full w/ kids. Most of the people were rude but the staff was very friendly & helpful. Overall i wasn't pleased w/ this disney resort, I don't think the resort was set up right. I am going to contuine to stay at the beach & yatch club were I usually stay!

• Stayed February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SunkiszedO5
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2007

We just got back from a stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It was a nice stay although I personally think it is a tad outdated. The carpeting was a little dirty and the room had a slight smell to it. The staff was friendly and gave us a choice between buildings when we asked for a convienient location.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank lmnopq77
albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

We just came back from a stay at Disney (02/14-2/15 and 2/19-2/20. We are DVC members and stayed at Saratoga Springs for the first part of our trip. Went to tampa for a sporting event and decided to go back to Disney for our last night. The staff was wonderful. We asked to have a room by a pool so our son could swim and they did just that. We stayed in Barbados, building 14. We enjoyed our stay ar carribbean Beach much more than Saratoga Springs. The resort is large, but we found we weren't very far from anything. Walking around the resort was fun in itself. The food court had a great selection of items for all our tastes.
We like to stay at different resort to compare notes. Our absolute favorite is Port Orleans, Riverside, but I am sure we'll be staying at the Carribbean beach again.
Thanks Disney for another great vacation!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — stay was not long enough!!!
16 Thank bmxers
Annapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2007

We stayed at the CBR from 2/11-2/17 and had no problems. I found the room size to be adequate, I didn't think it was dirty or musty and transportation was never an issue. The curtain that seperated the bathroom area from the sleeping area came in handy because I was the first one awake and I pulled the curtain to block the light as to not wake anyone while I did my thing. While I admit I didn't give the room the white glove test I felt comfortable enough to walk around on the carpet without slippers, use the comforter etc. and I didn't notice any weird smells. I didn't get the seedy motel, cootie vibe. The size of the room was fine but it was only two of us in a king room. I could see where some might get frustrated with a lack of personal space if you try to crowd 6 people into a room as a cost cutting measure. People, We must remember that it's a hotel room and not a clown car.

We used magical express to go to and and fro for our arrival and departure but I handled my luggage myself because I figure the fewer the hands on it the better chances I have at not losing anything and it all worked out well. Bell services was available to help us to our room when we arrived (at 2am) and to help us back to the custom house (at 6:30am) when it was time to go home. I was well informed from Disney several times over about magical express procedures and how it can take 3+ hours to get your things from the airport and how the internal resort shuttle will transport people and not luggage thus requiring you to utilize bell services on occasions where you and your luggage need to be transported. When you do decide that you need bell services, call them and make arrangements because you're won't be the only person that requires their assistance. If you wait til the last minute you may find yourself irritated as you make the trip to the custom house on foot with luggage in tow.

Meal time was a little chaotic but I expected that it would be. I would say as long as you keep your expectations realistic and use common sense you'll have a great vacation.

• Liked — I thought it was pretty decent overall
  • Disliked — Some patrons but Disney can't be faulted for their faux pas
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank sunnydog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!